Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VW Superbeetle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porschef
A mechanic friend has one that's not running, I want to give him a hand getting it going (he's very busy). Is there a forum similar to this one (a stretch, no doubt) that provides info, tips, etc. to expedite the process?

TIA,

Joe
914_7T3
QUOTE(Porschef @ Aug 6 2017, 12:27 PM) *

A mechanic friend has one that's not running, I want to give him a hand getting it going (he's very busy). Is there a forum similar to this one (a stretch, no doubt) that provides info, tips, etc. to expedite the process?

TIA,

Joe

Yes, go to www.thesamba.com
Porschef
Ok, duh, probably shoulda known. I hardly ever visit...

Thanks
Mark Henry
There's also the STF, shoptalkforums.
It's a Type one 1600cc engine with a PICT34 carb, basically the trouble shooting list is exactly the same as a T4, except single carb.
You can think of them like small block vs big block.

First ignition and fuel, yada-yada...
michael7810
In the US, 73 and newer had L Jet FI
Mark Henry
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Aug 6 2017, 04:33 PM) *

Are you sure?
L-jet didn't start here till '75 and usually our cars are the same spec (except California).
porschetub
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 7 2017, 08:27 AM) *

There's also the STF, shoptalkforums.
It's a Type one 1600cc engine with a PICT34 carb, basically the trouble shooting list is exactly the same as a T4, except single carb.
You can think of them like small block vs big block.

First ignition and fuel, yada-yada...

God I used hate that carb, good engine besides and a really easy car to work on.
michael7810
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 6 2017, 01:44 PM) *

QUOTE(michael7810 @ Aug 6 2017, 04:33 PM) *

Are you sure?
L-jet didn't start here till '75 and usually our cars are the same spec (except California).

You're right according to Wikipedia Ljet started in '75. I worked at a VW dealer at the time but apparently my memory ain't what is used to be.
Dave_Darling
Definitely couldn't have been 73, because the very very very first production car in the world that was equipped with L-jet EFI was:

The 1974 Porsche 914 1.8L (US-spec version).

We were the very first--and most fuel injection systems that came later were based on L-jet...

--DD
914forme
agree.gif Including into the 1990s Mazda used as copy on the Miata's.

I bought a Miata for $800 once cause the guy could not get it to run, it would idle rough. I took the flapper off, noticed it was stuck in that position, cleaned it up, broke it free, a bit of dry graphite on the pivots and I had a very nice Miata. Swapped in a LSD and sold it for $4500.

That was a nice flip
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.