Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Almost Stranded For The First Time!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TM_Corey
So on the way home from Garold's Cook out Saturday I stopped for gas on a I-65 detour that was litterly in the middle of nowhere!! I was just reaching R on the fuel indicator. I opened the door and sat on the kickplate ready to battle my grumpy frunk cable release and......nothing, wouldn't even budge.

I fought with it for 10 minutes while I tried to think of how to tell my wife that we were stranded an hour and a half from home and the only way to open the frunk for gas was to take off the front bumper. Then I would have to explain to her that I had no tools and any auto shop that was close would probably be closed.

So feeling defeated I sat back in the driver's seat trying to think of something. Just as she walked out of the gas station I thought, CPR!! So I had her at the hood giving it light "CPR" compressions, as I repeatedly jerked over and over on the release lever and.... success!!!

The replacement of the cable is now top on my list of things to do on the car. I have also learned that I probably shouldn't go past 1/2 tank until it's fixed. idea.gif
Freezin 914
QUOTE(TM_Corey @ Aug 6 2017, 08:15 PM) *

So on the way home from Garold's Cook out Saturday I stopped for gas on a I-65 detour that was litterly in the middle of nowhere!! I was just reaching R on the fuel indicator. I opened the door and sat on the kickplate ready to battle my grumpy frunk cable release and......nothing, wouldn't even budge.

I fought with it for 10 minutes while I tried to think of how to tell my wife that we were stranded an hour and a half from home and the only way to open the frunk for gas was to take off the front bumper. Then I would have to explain to her that I had no tools and any auto shop that was close would probably be closed.

So feeling defeated I sat back in the driver's seat trying to think of something. Just as she walked out of the gas station I thought, CPR!! So I had her at the hood giving it light "CPR" compressions, as I repeatedly jerked over and over on the release lever and.... success!!!

The replacement of the cable is now top on my list of things to do on the car. I have also learned that I probably shouldn't go past 1/2 tank until it's fixed. idea.gif
agree.gif she is just started to like the car thing, don't let end so soon!!!
mepstein
Lube up the cable and the lock and latch mechanism. A new cable is not needed.
iankarr
Close call!

Always a good idea to travel with an "oh $hit" kit. though if you had it in the frunk, it would've been locked up like your gas tank wink.gif.

My kit includes

– small socket set
– spare alternator belt
– wire stripper, wire and electrical tape
– quart of oil
– spare relays and fuses

And most important...a AAA platinum service card in my wallet. Free 200 mile tow.

I agree with mepstein...you prob just need some lube. Which is good advice for just about everything.

GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 6 2017, 08:28 PM) *

agree.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Aug 6 2017, 08:08 PM) *

agree.gif

agree.gif Totally. I had the exact same problem. Squirted some LPS or some such lubrication down the tube ten years ago and it still works great. Try the easy fix before you spend on a new cable. biggrin.gif
mepstein
What happens is the old grease gets so dirty and gummed up it creates a lot more drag. You pull harder and eventually pull the cable loose from the tiny set screw on the front trunk latch. If you remove the cable, clean and lube everything with some chain lube from a bike shop, it will feel like new and open with light pressure. You can use WD-40 to clean the parts but use a real lubricant on the parts afterward. WD-40 is not lube.
Do the same on all the lock mechanisms on the car and they will work better and last longer.
914Mike
QUOTE(cuddyk @ Aug 6 2017, 06:15 PM) *

Close call!

Always a good idea to travel with an "oh $hit" kit. though if you had it in the frunk, it would've been locked up like your gas tank wink.gif.

My kit includes

– small socket set
– spare alternator belt
– quart of oil
– spare relays and fuses

And most important...a AAA platinum service card in my wallet. Free 200 mile tow.

I agree with mepstein...you prob just need some lube. Which is good advice for just about everything.

No screwdrivers?
TM_Corey
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Aug 6 2017, 09:14 PM) *

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Aug 6 2017, 08:08 PM) *

agree.gif

agree.gif Totally. I had the exact same problem. Squirted some LPS or some such lubrication down the tube ten years ago and it still works great. Try the easy fix before you spend on a new cable. biggrin.gif

Which side do I put the cable lube down? Frunk side?

My mechanism definitely needs a good cleaning.
mepstein
Undo the set screw on the front trunk latch. Straighten out the wire at the tip. Grab the handle under the dash and pull the wire from the housing. Wipe everything clean. Lightly lube everything. Reinstall.

You can drip some lube down the cable on the engine lid release without removing the cable. Gravity will help.
TM_Corey
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 7 2017, 07:06 AM) *

Undo the set screw on the front trunk latch. Straighten out the wire at the tip. Grab the handle under the dash and pull the wire from the housing. Wipe everything clean. Lightly lube everything. Reinstall.

You can drip some lube down the cable on the engine lid release without removing the cable. Gravity will help.

Perfect, thank you.

GeorgeRud
Just be sure to not have your emergency kit in the front trunk!
Coondog
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Aug 7 2017, 07:56 AM) *

Just be sure to not have your emergency kit in the front trunk!

Best post of the Summer award...... first.gif
iankarr
QUOTE(914Mike @ Aug 7 2017, 03:36 AM) *

QUOTE(cuddyk @ Aug 6 2017, 06:15 PM) *

Close call!

My kit includes

– small socket set
– spare alternator belt
– quart of oil
– spare relays and fuses

No screwdrivers?

Yeah, forgot that screwdrivers are in the kit. Also allen wrench set and a fire extinguisher.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.