Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Door locks...Worn key?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Freezin 914
After reading TM Corey's almost stranded post, it brings a question on my car, the locks are almost impossible to unlock from the outside key hole. I worry my well worn key could break off in the keyhole. What is the key code for a 74' and do you think it is worth it to try and make a spare key with it ground a little less because it is worn? confused24.gif
PlantMan
Are you sure it is your key or the cam inside the door pull? I think most of us have had the replace the cam inside our exterior door handles.
How is the key in the ignition? The lock smith I used was great and very familiar with VW style locks. I actually took him a broken worn key and cut me a new one in no time at all. You may be as successful in finding a similar locksmith in your area. This did make a difference in locking and unlocking the doors too.
scallyk9
I bought a '74 LE last November and had the same problem with the passenger door. There was a broken mounting tab but the real problem was a thoroughly gummed up door latch mechanism. I solved it by thoroughly cleaning the latch mechanism (three bolts hold it into the door end). I did also clean the lock cylinder using solvents with the key in it to hold the "cams" and tiny springs in place.

THEN, I purchased another 914 in May with the same problem in both doors. Again, the fix was the same on both sides and involved pulling both the inner and outer door locking handles plus the latch mechanism for thorough cleaning. One did have a broken return spring which I replaced from a corroded handle purchases from eBay (amazing the poor condition of some stuff sold on eBay). All locks work as smooth as a butter now.

I do have two new plastic cams but didn't use them. You'll really have to remove at least the exterior door handle to look for damage and try your key in it then.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.