Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 track days
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gereed75
Took the 914 out for a week end track event with Allegheny Region PCA at Pitt Race.

The track is wholly improved from the old short track and is really a great facility.

Wanted to see how the car ran and test out my engine rebuild under duress. It is a 2.4 six built with ported heads, 9.5 compression JE's, Mod Solex cams and Webers making an estimated 190 HP. I was very pleased as to how it held together and performed (with my rear mounted oil cooler - see another thread). I was able to run with an assortment of Boxsters, Caymen, E36 M3's and even dusted a 5.0 Mustang. piratenanner.gif

If I do it again, I will have to improve the brakes as they were prone to fade and required some bleeding between sessions. I think the stock six brakes are up to the task but I am running some unknown pads and regular DOT 3 street fluid.

One thing that surprised me was how dramatically the PCA track scene has changed. I was the only 914 and virtually the only aircooled car there. My instructor was enthralled by actually getting to work with a car that required "driving" since basically everything else out there is heavily computer aided. I was also running the street 205/60/15 Yoko street tires.

I did get a lot of positive feedback from other drivers - "cool car"; "love watching you slide that thing around"; "that thing goes!" sort of comments. Essentially the car was quite the novelty.

No track pix but here is a pic of the car so I won't get harassed for no pix.
GregAmy
SCCA's Track Night in America runs at PittRace, too. Afternoon off work and $150. One coming up soon.

http://www.tracknightinamerica.com
LowBridge
very cool and congrats on it working so well... my son and I do some PCA AutoX in our area and there are still a handful of 914's ripping it up
Krieger
Nice! Get yourself some Motul Dot 4 RBF 600 brake fluid and some Hawk pads. They can handle the heat. Maybe some ducting if that is not enough.
Tom_T
You may want to look for a vintage race event by VARA etc. too, so you can mix it up with other aircooleds & vintage same era cars.

Go Steelers! piratenanner.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
gereed75
Thanks Krieger, that sounds like the cool set up. Love your track car.

No vintage for this car, I am nervous enough running this car at speed with no safety equipment. Recently got a Datsun 510 race car to run in Vintage - slow safe and stout and relatively cheap = big fun !
Racer
Sounds like fun! But yeah, stock brakes with 190hp? not the best idea on a tighter track like PittRace. The 510 sounds like fun too though.. decisions, decisions!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.