Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tulsa tornados
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TheCabinetmaker
As some of you have seen on the news, Tulsa was hit an f1, and another f2 tornado on Sunday morning.I'd like say that I was fortunate to not be in the path, and suffered no damage except for some lawn furniture and trash cans thrown around. Thanks to those who contacted me, through pm's, and text. One of my best mates was not so fortunate. I spent a long day yesterday helping him clean up after a 75', 80 year old pecan tree put a rather large skylight in his house. It came through the roof 6' from his bed in which he was sleeping. He was miraculously unharmed. The pecan tree also took out an old poplar tree that destroyed his new suv.Click to view attachment
TheCabinetmaker
View in the denClick to view attachment
76-914
Glad your OK Curt. I lived through 2 of them. There was no preparation for either. By the time we realized we we're in a Tornado it was a block down the road. It seems like it lasts a long time but in reality it's over in a few second and it either got ya or it didn't. And, what the Hell is it with Aluminum and twisters anyway. I lived in TX for 45+ years and they seem to seek out Mobile Homes don't they?
Tom_T
Curt,

That was part of the reason we took out that 80'x100' Big Mutha Ficus I was telling you about by text yesterday. We get those 90-100 mph "Santa Ana Winds" out here, & that tree coming down on our house would be about the same result as your buddy's home.

Word of warning - Folks need to watch their trees, & get them thinned/laced/trimmed every year or so if they're next to or over the house/structures/car parking, & have the Arborist check the roots & trunk structure too - whether your in tornado alley or not. High winds & earthquakes can happen anywhere!

Doc Hugh & his wife in BA whom you've met, were just a few blocks north of the path where it crossed the 51 by the Hertz & QT Headquarters. They got no alarms!

Sorry to hear about your buddy's SUV. I didn't catch that it was hit too from your texts.

See ya in a few weeks! Thinking 'bout BBQ! chowtime.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
xperu
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Aug 7 2017, 12:09 PM) *

As some of you have seen on the news, Tulsa was hit an f1, and another f2 tornado on Sunday morning.I'd like say that I was fortunate to not be in the path, and suffered no damage except for some lawn furniture and trash cans thrown around. Thanks to those who contacted me, through pm's, and text. One of my best mates was not so fortunate. I spent a long day yesterday helping him clean up after a 75', 80 year old pecan tree put a rather large skylight in his house. It came through the roof 6' from his bed in which he was sleeping. He was miraculously unharmed. The pecan tree also took out an old poplar tree that destroyed his new suv.Click to view attachment

Tulsa is a very nice town, last year I was working in the oil patch building a cryogenic unit near Chickasha OK. We experiences a couple of those monsters, where do you go when your in the middle of nowhere?................ Very impressive. Here in League City/Houston TX. we have hurricane's, you can at least prepare for them, a tornado good luck, especially at night. I hope you get things back to norm soon. I'm actually a California-Son, but I will take a hurricane over an strong earth quake any day. Mike Kelly
11tenths
Wow Curt-

Was about to email you to see if you had an ETA on my locks- Nevermind!

I can see you've been a little preoccupied...

Glad you're OK, take care of your friend.

-Harry
forrestkhaag
My first 71 914 was purchased from the porsche delaer in town at the time (74) and I Lived thru a few F1's in my younger years living on Tulsa time. Sat in for Jami Oldaker one time with the Eric Clapton Band playing w/ EC at the Cain's Ballroom back in the day / Marcy Levy in her prime at the time belting out duets with EC . But the tornado season was always looming in June thru early Sept. Scary stuff flattened my apt in June 8th storm in 75 / my girlfriend and I crawled to a fire station across the street that had metal seat-rows with seat belts to strap us down and they opened all the doors and windows to keepp the place on the ground.....

Stay safe and park the 914 below grade.

TheCabinetmaker
Hey Forrest, I'm an old friend of Jamie's, Don white, David teagarten, and others. Don white still does a Wednesday evening at a local place. Sweet Emily is still around somewhere. Eric sneaks into town occasionally for some studio time. Have some new state of the art studios here now. In high school I played with Chuck Blackwell, Larry Samuels, and Larry Arnett. Still play with a group every other Sunday at a local bar. There's a jam night somewhere in town every night. Sometimes several. Players make the rounds on Sunday. Still a great music town.

That June 8th tornado was the worst I've seen ( seen a couple dozen in 68 years), btw, it was 74.
TheCabinetmaker
Harry, got the new key cut on Saturday. I'll key the ignition in the next few days.
TheCabinetmaker
Looking forward to it Tom. Always a pleasure.
Shadowfax
Glad you are OK, Curt, and were also able to help your buddy.
TheCabinetmaker
Thanks Pedro. I have three friends that the group of us have been like brothers for 45 years. We lost our first brother ten days ago. Couldn't handle losing another that soon.
Tom_T
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Aug 7 2017, 03:38 PM) *

Hey Forrest, I'm an old friend of Jamie's, Don white, David teagarten, and others. Don white still does a Wednesday evening at a local place. Sweet Emily is still around somewhere. Eric sneaks into town occasionally for some studio time. Have some new state of the art studios here now. In high school I played with Chuck Blackwell, Larry Samuels, and Larry Arnett. Still play with a group every other Sunday at a local bar. There's a jam night somewhere in town every night. Sometimes several. Players make the rounds on Sunday. Still a great music town.

That June 8th tornado was the worst I've seen ( seen a couple dozen in 68 years), btw, it was 74.

Yet another side of you that I didn't know about Curt! You never cease to amaze me bud!

You too Forrest!

PS - I mean the musical talents guys!
.... coming from a guy with none, whom "it took 20 years to learn to play a radio!" biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
TheCabinetmaker
Tom, it's been thirty years since I've played with a group, or even on stage. I've done some party's, weddings, and even a couple of funerals, but just solo. Some friends persistently urged me to go to an open mike night. About six months ago I finally broke down and went to one. After a half dozen solo songs with my 12 string the host band asked me to stay on stage and join them. I've been playing guitar, singing, and blowing my harps with them since. Never too late I figure! Having a great time.
Tom_T
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Aug 7 2017, 04:38 PM) *

Tom, it's been thirty years since I've played with a group, or even on stage. I've done some party's, weddings, and even a couple of funerals, but just solo. Some friends persistently urged me to go to an open mike night. About six months ago I finally broke down and went to one. After a half dozen solo songs with my 12 string the host band asked me to stay on stage and join them. I've been playing guitar, singing, and blowing my harps with them since. Never too late I figure! Having a great time.

Okay, so now you need to tell me when & where while I'm there, so I can listen.

Hopefully it's at an "Indian Friendly" bar though! huh.gif

Now where did I store my kazoo!? blink.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
914-300Hemi
Glad to hear that everyone was okay.
Valy
Happy to see you and your family are safe. It must be your lucky 914 that saved you smile.gif
maxwelj
Curt, slight hijack, but do you know which musician lived out on 106th St N at 205th East Ave and had a 914 and a 924 (or 944)? He must have moved on a couple of years ago (or died), as the house has been torn down and replaced. A neighbor said he was pretty well known, but he couldn't remember his name. As you may recall, I lived just a couple of blocks down the street. Just curious as to who it was.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.