Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Taco Plate
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
80cap
Who has installed a deep taco plate. I know more oil is better but how much do the increase the quantity and are they in harms way on speed bumps?
struckn
I have one. I think the correct name for what you're talking about is Tuna Can.
I see the advantage, in addition to some extra Oil, is it's a increased exposed area that air can pass over to help with cooling the Oil. I'd guess it adds maybe 1/3 to 1/2 quart oil but I'm not sure. When I change my Oil I go by the dip stick to determine when it's full. One word of caution is don't over tighten the bolt too much or you'll strip the thread in the Aluminum Case, just snug it.

My car sits pretty low and I don't think id ever bottomed out on the can. I suppose it could happen, but I've only hit bottom with my ANSA Exhaust a couple times.
Rleog
An advantage may be that it provides a low stable pickup reservoir during hard cornering.
Dave_Darling
I have a tuna can on my car. I have found it to be very helpful at keeping the oil light out in longer corners. It may also provide some small amount of cooling, but nothing I can quantify.

It holds about an extra half-quart. Just use the dipstick as per normal and it'll be right.

There is some risk of hitting it on obstacles. I don't think it's much, as the sump is actually relatively close to the rear wheels, and those will tend to keep the can above whatever unevenness is on the road, but I suppose it is possible to hit it on an abrupt-enough obstacle.

I believe that the rear-engine cars are more exposed in that way, so if you have a Bug or a 912 you're putting the motor in you might want to reconsider.

If it does hit anything solid, it may write off your motor. If you over torque the retaining nut, you may write off your motor as well. Be very very careful, as you should with the stock sump nut anyway. (NINE lb-ft of torque, no more! If you don't have a wrench that measures that low, go get one!!)

--DD
Valy
It's good against oil starvation during hard cornering, as other said.
HOWEVER, the oil pickup must go in the can for that to happen and there must be no air gap between the original oil pickup and the extension.
I got the tuna can from the group buy that we had a couple of years ago and the pickup extension doesn't fit well, it needs a lot of fitting and sealing. If you don't do that, the pickup will suck in air sooner than it will with the original design.
URY914
I have a steel one and an aluminum one. I guess that makes me a collector.
Yes one is on my car and no the other one is not for sale. happy11.gif
funk
I actually went with a 1 and 1/2 quart extension from CB performance. It is not quite installed and am wondering the same thing? I think it goes even lower than the tuna can and I am afraid if hit it would most certainly be fatal. any thoughts on the bigger sumps as well? not to highjack your thread. I just thought they are related and all. please forgive me if I am breaking rank
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.