Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Synchro ring installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ws91420
Ok no bs answers I need real advice. I want to get my teener running again Memorial Day weekend. Installing new synchro rings, first gear no problem. Right now working on 2nd and 3rd. When I place the ring on the hub and in the dogteeth it is under tension and when I try to put the snap ring on it knocks the sychro ring out of place.. Is there a tip or trick to get the snap ring on and the synchro ring to stay in place?
Brad Roberts
Another person helping. You to work the pliers and another to hold the pieces together.

I have had many of them "fly" apart when trying to do it by myself. It is nearly impossible without help. Some of them go together easily..and some of them dont. It depends on how good of snap ring pliers you have and how much tension is left in the ring.

B
ws91420
Brand new rings lot of tension. Thanks Brad
Brad Roberts
Ok no bs answers I need real advice.

I tried beerchug.gif

Been there done that.. got the missing eye to prove it (when it slings the thin ring off..LOL)

Good luck. Shoot pics and post them. Many people wont know what we are talking about unless you show them.

B
LvSteveH
Not having extra hands, I had to improvise, so I took a couple thin (1/8" or so) zip ties, connected them to make them long enough to go around the synchro, and put the synchro under tension. That way it just sits there while you put the snap ring in without popping out. When it's together, simply clip the zip, and it's done.

I've done it several times and it works fine.
JoeSharp
I really like this as I am about to start doing my tranny. Thanks Brad and Steve.
biggrin.gif Joe
cametal
Zip ties work great, thats how I do it. smile.gif
Red-Beard
I modified a pair of snap ring pliers, filed the inside, so that I'd get a little more extension. I bet a good tool store would have had ones that would work perfectly.

Pull the synch band open a little so that it has more interference. It will not hurt it a bit. Usually news ones don't need this treatment, only ones I reverse.

I then slip one side under the lip and push it as far as it will go, hold it down with one hand, and use the snap ring pliers with the other and "pop" it's on. The Zip tie idea sounds like it may have merit, and I'll give it a try next time.
Red-Beard
Oh yeah, shameless plug:

Darth Evil, my apprentice, has re-opened the shop in San Diego. Hurry! Less than 2 months to Med School. user posted image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.