Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to tighten loose glove box?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BillC
Last night, I discovered the strap that holds the glove box "box" to the dash is loose. How do I tighten it? Do I have to take the dash apart?

I tried searching, but could not find any actual instructions on installing or removing the glove box. I found a number of posts that say things like "remove the glove box before removing the dash top", but no directions on how to do that.
mepstein
Grab a flashlight and stick your head under the dash. You will see how it's attached.
iankarr
If you can't tighten the bolts any further and the strap is still loose, it's possible that the strap has slipped off the box. You can try pulling it back underneath the box to snug it up.
BillC
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 8 2017, 09:21 AM) *

Grab a flashlight and stick your head under the dash. You will see how it's attached.

I was under there last night. That's how I discovered the strap was loose. However, it was kind of hard to see up past the radio to the end of the strap. From what little I could see, it looked like there's a bolt/screw that comes from the face of the dash. It almost looked like the top of the dash would have to come off to access the screw, but all the dash-top directions say to remove the glove box first, so it can't be like that.

Is that screw accessible from behind the dash? Or, does the radio have to come out first? Or, is there something on the other side of the box (between the box and the outside of the car)?

QUOTE(cuddyk @ Aug 8 2017, 09:31 AM) *

If you can't tighten the bolts any further and the strap is still loose, it's possible that the strap has slipped off the box. You can try pulling it back underneath the box to snug it up.

The strap is still on the box, it's just a little loose.
mepstein
If the screws are tight on the metal strap, I would probable shove a shim under the strap and call it a day.
barefoot
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 8 2017, 11:01 AM) *

If the screws are tight on the metal strap, I would probable shove a shim under the strap and call it a day.

It's a 5 mm stud but kinda hidden behind the radio, perhaps a long extension & socket can find it, but second the shim idea as lots less grief.
BillC
Thanks for the help, guys. I got it done. Unfortunately, I had to pull the radio to get access to the nut -- the radio was completely hiding the end of the strap, which was why I couldn't see how it was attached.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.