Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: i found something
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
walk into napa, and the guy says hey i have your filters.....I lieterally ran to the counter and opened the boxes he placed on the table...after all, I'm eating ramen noodles now bc of this purchase..... rolleyes.gif i am shocked to find that "my" fuel filters are silver canisters with screw-on type fittings. WTF????? They traced the number back to the books and they match....i waited 4 days for this???? Later, after changing the oil and oil filter, i went over to AutoZone just to look for a fuel filter.......and i think i found one. it says 5/16'' but i'm wondering what that translates into for mm measurements.....but it was cheap and looked like it would work for the time being....and since it had several warnings on the accompaning papers concerning fuel pressurization....i believe it is a FI fuel filter..........what do you all think....?

it was cheap too....
Mueller
QUOTE (bd1308 @ May 17 2005, 06:35 PM)
walk into napa, and the guy says hey i have your filters.....I lieterally ran to the counter and opened the boxes he placed on the table...after all, I'm eating ramen noodles now bc of this purchase..... rolleyes.gif i am shocked to find that "my" fuel filters are silver canisters with screw-on type fittings. WTF????? They traced the number back to the books and they match....i waited 4 days for this???? Later, after changing the oil and oil filter, i went over to AutoZone just to look for a fuel filter.......and i think i found one. it says 5/16'' but i'm wondering what that translates into for mm measurements.....but it was cheap and looked like it would work for the time being....and since it had several warnings on the accompaning papers concerning fuel pressurization....i believe it is a FI fuel filter..........what do you all think....?

it was cheap too....

did you ask them if it's okay to use for fuel injection??

do the "papers" say yes or no for FI??

also, where is your filter, before or after the pump??

if before the pump, no need for a special filter since it is not under pressure........
Brad Roberts
I think you could have ordered from Mid-America and had the right one in 1-2 days laugh.gif

Our stock fuel filters are under NO pressure besides gravity.

B
bd1308
seriously???!!!!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!? soo if 5/16in fits on 8mm i'm golden? mine is b4 the pump...so its like this

FUEL TANK---->FUEL FILTER---->FUEL PUMP---->FI FUEL RAIL
Mueller
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ May 17 2005, 06:42 PM)
I think you could have ordered from Mid-America and had the right one in 1-2 days laugh.gif

Our stock fuel filters are under NO pressure besides gravity.

B

if it was installed correctly and not moved like mine is smile.gif

this is another case of someone trying to rely on their local autopart store and getting screwed, it's your responsibility to make sure you install the correct part...most of the FLAPS are useless when it comes to our 914's....you could almost get more help going to The Home Depot

Brad Roberts
Ha ha laugh.gif he worked there laugh.gif

B
ws91420
The FLAPS are fine as long as you know what you are getting. I have three filters for my 76 that I dont need now b/c of switching to carbs. I bought them from my place of employment at the time which was a natl FLAPS. Britt does yours have two different size hoses?
Brad Roberts
You can use a fuel injection filter with carbs. The last time I checked.. "fuel injection" filters typically have had a higher micron filter rating compared to a generic fuel filter.

B
bd1308
nope the "fuel filter with the 8mm and 10mm fittings" are for the 75-76 cars only.....i have a feeling its bc of the relocation of the pump thing....so ANYWAY i will put on the generic filter tomorrow.....thanks!

ws91420: my fuel filter has two 8mm fittings.....thanks anyway though

no more flaps....i'm done. besides they scare me bc they say things like, get these oil filters while you still can....
ws91420
Part of my problem was the filter not getting filled up properly causing the pump to capitate. Hijack over FLAPS can be a goog thing found rebuilt rear calipers there cheaper than anywhere else and caliper hardware also.
scotty914
QUOTE (bd1308 @ May 17 2005, 06:11 PM)
nope the "fuel filter with the 8mm and 10mm fittings" are for the 75-76 cars only.....i have a feeling its bc of the relocation of the pump thing....so ANYWAY i will put on the generic filter tomorrow.....thanks!

ws91420: my fuel filter has two 8mm fittings.....thanks anyway though

no more flaps....i'm done. besides they scare me bc they say things like, get these oil filters while you still can....

sorry britt you have it backward the early ones had different size hoses later where all the same size
ws91420
Scott the 76 does have two different size hoses on the fuel filter.
Allan
QUOTE (ws91420 @ May 17 2005, 08:08 PM)
Scott the 76 does have two different size hoses on the fuel filter.

Yep, Mine does.
bd1308
i just got my info from PP....my car has same fittings, both 8mm......I would ask the VW guy but he don't know either. Believe me, if i thad the late style, i'd be crusin' bc he has a brand new "new and hip style" 8mm/10mm filter.
ws91420
A 74 would have both fittings as 8 mm.
bd1308
just like i said....people....... rolleyes.gif
scotty914
well mine was the same size for return and supply lines. i have 5/16 on everthing, maybe something on mine was changed out.

bd1308
yup somebody did the switch.....thank them too....hey if you dont mind scott, do you know what metric equal is for 5/16in? i think it sometimes tells you on the rubber tubing. factory sizes are both metric, both 8mm or 8mm and 10mm....at least for the fuel filter connections.
SGB
My ear holes are 8 mm, but my nostrals are 5/16th. Should I see a doctor or a mechanic? w00t.gif
scotty914
5/16 is 7.9 mm
bd1308
thanks very much scott!!!! pray.gif
Dead Air
"flaps"???
bd1308
Friendly
Local
Auto
Parts
Store
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (scott thacher @ May 17 2005, 06:29 PM)

sorry britt you have it backward the early ones had different size hoses later where all the same size

I'm afraid you're the one who should be sorry, 'cause you've got it backwards. The Cap'n
bondo
2.54 centimeters = 1 inch. Memorize it, there's a quiz later. smile.gif

(2.54 centimeters = 25.4 mm... duh)
scotty914
well i may be wrong... i know mine has all one size

i know the later tunnel lines are the same size, the early tunnel lines are different
jonwatts
QUOTE (bd1308 @ May 17 2005, 07:52 PM)
....hey if you dont mind scott, do you know what metric equal is for 5/16in?

If I understand correctly, you're going to school to become a MECHANICAL ENGINEER!?!?!?!

Where's that Paul Heary Firefox Post-blocker plug-in again? I think I just found a use for it.

Brit Dood, I understand what it's like to be young and invincible and full of energy, but try to slow down for a minute and think before you post. There's nothing wrong with asking questions and no one expects you to know everything, but is it really necessary for a college student of MECHANICAL ENGINEERING to ask another club member to convert 5/16" to millimeters for you? You should at least be able to find a few dozen internet calculators to do it for you.

In other words, before you ask, http://www.fuckinggoogleit.com/

PS - someone please post a link to this thread next time I ask a dumb question, because I know it will happen. Thanks!
wavey.gif
bd1308
it was just late man....sorry. I know google has a conversion thing. I was doing like 10 things at once. I need to move out of my house..... sad.gif
JWest
QUOTE (jonwatts @ May 18 2005, 01:26 AM)
QUOTE (bd1308 @ May 17 2005, 07:52 PM)
....hey if you dont mind scott, do you know what metric equal is for 5/16in?

If I understand correctly, you're going to school to become a MECHANICAL ENGINEER!?!?!?!

Where's that Paul Heary Firefox Post-blocker plug-in again? I think I just found a use for it.

Brit Dood, I understand what it's like to be young and invincible and full of energy, but try to slow down for a minute and think before you post. There's nothing wrong with asking questions and no one expects you to know everything, but is it really necessary for a college student of MECHANICAL ENGINEERING to ask another club member to convert 5/16" to millimeters for you? You should at least be able to find a few dozen internet calculators to do it for you.

In other words, before you ask, http://www.fuckinggoogleit.com/

PS - someone please post a link to this thread next time I ask a dumb question, because I know it will happen. Thanks!
wavey.gif

Man, this is really unacceptable... what are they teaching in you! You should know certain conversions off the top of your head your first semester of engineering school - 1 inch = 25.4 mm being one of them.

Armed with that information, you could estimate that 5/16 is real close to 8mm without even using a calculator. That is the kind of thing being an engineer is all about. If it is more interesting for you to ask other people three times on the internet to run the numbers for you than to do it yourself, then you are very likely heading down the wrong career path.

bondo
QUOTE (James Adams @ May 18 2005, 06:46 AM)

Man, this is really unacceptable... what are they teaching in you! You should know certain conversions off the top of your head your first semester of engineering school - 1 inch = 25.4 mm being one of them.

Armed with that information, you could estimate that 5/16 is real close to 8mm without even using a calculator. That is the kind of thing being an engineer is all about.

I agree, I had the 2.54 cm = 1 inch thing pounded into my head in high school. Another way to remember what's close to metric is by remembering which fractional inch sockets can be pounded onto which metric fasteners, when you can't find the "right" one. lol2.gif
bd1308
my first semester teacher was lazy IMO and didn't teach us students EVERYTHING we should know. I agree completly. I knew I was very close, but yesterday sucked.....just to state it again, i knew i was very close, and i knew 1 inch was equal to at least 20mm so i was very close.
bd1308
it is wrong to ask for a second opinion?
dwillouby
If your not sure, ask. I think no question is stupid. I have been an electronics tech for 20 plus years. I still ask seemingly simple questions" is that fuse shorted"! smile.gif

David
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (bd1308 @ May 18 2005, 06:39 AM)
my first semester teacher was lazy IMO and didn't teach us students EVERYTHING we should know.

And your high school was lax because they failed to teach you "family values", right? Don't give The Cap'n that BS. If it was in the book, or common knowledge, YOU shoulda learned it. It's NOT the teacher's fault, it's YOURS! (I know, the concept of personal responsibility has become totaslly unAmerican!) I WILL give you partial credit, though, because you live in a country that has resisted, beyond ALL logical reason, and with an immense display of unified national will, the conversion to the metric system .......... The Cap'n, not as Krusty today as some days ............................. And I'm kinda kidding, too ..........
JWest
Why are you turning this around? It's not the professor's (your in college now, they are not refered to as teachers) fault, it is your responsibility to obtain the knowledge you will require for your chosen career. A good engineer has the desire to look up and learn these things - are you sure you want to be an engineer?

A person in a college engineering program does NOT need a second opinion to perform (5/16*25.4). Asking about what fuel filter to use is fine, but I'm not talking about that.

I am not trying to slam you to bring you down - and don't try to give me the excuses - I can tell you I have been there and done that. But, there are certain qualities a good engineer will possess - and you are not demonstrating these. Now is the time to start behaving like an engineer - graduating and getting a piece of paper is only a piece - you need to develop yourself. It takes more than simply passing your classes for you to become successful at what you want to do - you need to take the responsibility to turn yourself into a professional now.
jonwatts
Listen to this man. I wish someone had told me this when I was in school. Actually a few people tried but I was too stubborn to listen, and now I'm paying for it.

SGB
ohmy.gif
Engineer/ Questions

If you wanna know, you gotta ask questions. Ask yerself then look ina book, or ask yer buddies on 914club. I ask stoopid Qs all the time, and have a masters in sytems eng, Professional Engineering registration, and almost 25 years of experience.
I think the point these folks are making is: be ready to work some to answer the question, not just delegate. Thats what managers do... sad.gif
bd1308
I just have alot of crap happen....of course, i believe that personal responsibility is something that should be re-instated. I value your opinions. I'd rather be given a few alfred.gif of those now than have to figure it out later. As far as the filter is concerned, I will install that soon. I'm acutally not as stubborn as I may seem on the outside.....Everyone is entitled to thier 2cents, and I value the cents that more experienced folks give. I shoudl have known better and looked up for myself. That's become one of my bad habits--call it lazyness or whatever you want to call it....but the same thing happened when i started out with linux. I'd ask for people to hold my hand and do things for me, instead of learning for myself. But now, I manage four different forums on my webserver, along with a webmail service. Sorry sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.