Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GB -6 mufflers in stainless
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Steve
QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 2 2017, 02:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ Nov 2 2017, 01:07 PM) *

I agree, no problem. Can’t blame a guy for trying!! Lol

Its funny I test fit the muffler on Georgeruds car and it has a 915 with modded stock heatexchangers to lengthen the pipes to fit the muffler..

Was it a wevo 915 kit tail shifter? There much worse than mine. Mine is a Martin Bott 916 side shifter. Mine still requires extra clearance, but the Wevo 915 guys typically run short headers with dual mufflers.
http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/project/...-speed/#image_9
or a very skinny M&K muffler.
mb911
It is the vellios kit.
Steve
The velios is also a side shifter, so it should be the same as mine.
mb911
Yup thats what I thought.
GeorgeRud
The Vellios rear transmission cover requires a small spacer to clear a stock muffler (about the width of a flange is all), but the Wevo tail piece is much more intrusive. The Martin Bott system should be similar to the Vellios I would think.
Steve
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Nov 3 2017, 08:06 AM) *

The Vellios rear transmission cover requires a small spacer to clear a stock muffler (about the width of a flange is all), but the Wevo tail piece is much more intrusive. The Martin Bott system should be similar to the Vellios I would think.

The vellios and Martin bott rear cover are both patterned off of the 916 rear cover. However I haven’t seen a reverse switch on a vellios. I have one on mine and it does stick out about an inch.
GeorgeRud
No reverse switch on the Vellios. However, even without one, it does slightly interfere with a stock muffler.
live free & drive
Would it be possible to have added 1 1/2" to 2" to the inlet pipes for people (like me, among others) who are running a 915 trans?

Maybe for an upcharge you could provide the modification vs. having to insert/create spacers?

I'm working on a 3.2 with a 915 and your HE's - I have a Vellios tail-cone, but currently have installed a stock tail-cone (with reduced features) and the PMS steel adapter frame. From my measurements the Vellios tail-cone is about 3/4" shorter than the stock tail-cone casting (measured including nothing beyond the casting surface) so I'm assuming it's going to interfere with the muffler.

mb911
QUOTE(live free & drive @ Nov 3 2017, 09:56 AM) *

Would it be possible to have added 1 1/2" to 2" to the inlet pipes for people (like me, among others) who are running a 915 trans?

Maybe for an upcharge you could provide the modification vs. having to insert/create spacers?

I'm working on a 3.2 with a 915 and your HE's - I have a Vellios tail-cone, but currently have installed a stock tail-cone (with reduced features) and the PMS steel adapter frame. From my measurements the Vellios tail-cone is about 3/4" shorter than the stock tail-cone casting (measured including nothing beyond the casting surface) so I'm assuming it's going to interfere with the muffler.

Its possible..

The problem is that almost every order I had on the group buy wanted something special or custom and it makes very hard to break even on the project when I finish everything up..

That said its possible on this to do the upcharge as you describe.
Steve
QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 4 2017, 06:09 AM) *

QUOTE(live free & drive @ Nov 3 2017, 09:56 AM) *

Its possible..

The problem is that almost every order I had on the group buy wanted something special or custom and it makes very hard to break even on the project when I finish everything up..

That said its possible on this to do the upcharge as you describe.

2” would be awesome. Maybe standardize on a 915 version and make a bunch of them.
davehg
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 15 2017, 07:11 AM) *

Updated did I forget anyone?

I need to get invoices out for the remainder of you that put deposits down.

I should be on your list - paypal payment sent in full
mb911
QUOTE(davehg @ Nov 4 2017, 03:41 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 15 2017, 07:11 AM) *

Updated did I forget anyone?

I need to get invoices out for the remainder of you that put deposits down.

I should be on your list - paypal payment sent in full

You are but not part of the group buy.. The buyers in front of you are 1st to have product delivered..
mb911
Finishing 1st one this weekend and need to ship next week to the 1st person that can test fit right away on there 901 based trans -6 and confirm everything is good .. We will build the bulk of the muffler body's next week and wait for confirmation of fitment before welding on tail pipes..
mb911
Click to view attachment

So I will have the 1st one ready to ship tomorrow.. Who can try one right away?
mb911
1st on goes out to stephen tomorrow.
mb911
Also still have to work out a 911 style muffler hanging installation setup. These mufflers should not be supported just from the inlets..
mepstein
Mine is sort of rigged up the 2.0 hanger. I would like something that looks good and works correctly.
GeorgeRud
Though not elegant, an extra flange between the heat exchanger and the muffler with extra gaskets would provvbably be the easiest way to obtain any needed clearance. Much easier than modifying the mufflers or heat exchangers for those few folks that need this. I wonder how many folks are actually running 915 transmissions in their cars?
Steve
For me and my Martin Bott 916 kit a 2” spacer would be perfect. I agree.. extending the pipes on the muffler will hurt the resale value for cars that don’t need the clearance. Ben made me 1.5” spacers that work, but I had to use studs versus bolts, due to limited space between the flanges on the spacer.
mb911
Steve once you get the muffler we will have to look at options for a 911 style support..
Steve
Some of the other local six conversions are using a log type muffler that use the straps around the muffler versus the hanger. I will find out how they made it.
mb911
Steve should have received his last night.. Once we get updates we will be ready to start shipping the rest..
Steve
I received it last night at 8pm. Amazing workmanship! I will try to install it in the next couple of days depending on work schedule. I will post a bunch of pictures. I also have an old MSDS single exit muffler that I will compare the exit pipe with, since my Triad exhaust tips have been modified.
mb911
QUOTE(Steve @ Nov 21 2017, 06:30 AM) *

I received it last night at 8pm. Amazing workmanship! I will try to install it in the next couple of days depending on work schedule. I will post a bunch of pictures. I also have an old MSDS single exit muffler that I will compare the exit pipe with, since my Triad exhaust tips have been modified.

Great news.. We have all the internals done for the rest of the mufflers just need a final approval for tail pipes..
Steve
QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 21 2017, 03:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ Nov 21 2017, 06:30 AM) *

Great news.. We have all the internals done for the rest of the mufflers just need a final approval for tail pipes..

Bummer... but it's off. This is with no spacer.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Steve
This is with an old MSDS single exit muffler for comparison.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
mb911
That is a bummer.. Wow .. Its way off.. Ugh..we will get that corrected..
mb911
Looks like tail pipe diameter off..
mepstein
It would work for me, I don’t run a rear valance.
Steve
QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 22 2017, 05:01 AM) *

It looks like it needs to move over exactly 2” to the right. It’s still on the car if you want me to take more measurements or pictures. Otherwise I can take it off and send it back. I didn’t start the car up.

Something else interesting... I did not use my 1.5" spacer. There was enough clearance without it. However... The muffler is exactly 1.5" from the rear heat shield. I am curious how this will effect WEVO installations, since they typically require a 2" extension since they are a tail shifter.
Krieger
I have seen a couple of ways to support the muffler I took of this site. I do not know which one of the guys did this. Sorry. I did make a similar copy.
Krieger
This was from the fellow in Europe who recently hand built his 904 replica.
Steve
I bought a factory 911 muffler bracket. It wouldn't be that hard to add a cross brace and re-drill the holes for it. I would put it on top of the stock header bracket.
Krieger
Here is my unpainted homebrew version. If you look carefullly you will see were my 40 year old muffler shell needed to be rewelded to the pipe. Did it separate because of age or since it was not supported?
Steve
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 22 2017, 05:38 AM) *

Something else interesting... I did not use my 1.5" spacer. There was enough clearance without it. However... The muffler is exactly 1.5" from the rear of the heat shield. I am curious how this will effect WEVO installations, since they typically require a 2" extension since they are a tail shifter. Maybe you could modify the heat shield. My car is also a 75. I know the heat shields were different on earlier cars.

Here's a picture of the 3.6 914-6 in Excellence. It used 2" spacers with an M&K muffler and a Wevo 915 trans. I think the M&K muffler is a thinner muffler??
Click to view attachment
mb911
QUOTE(Steve @ Nov 22 2017, 06:37 AM) *

It looks like it needs to move over exactly 2” to the right. It’s still on the car if you want me to take more measurements or pictures. Otherwise I can take it off and send it back. I didn’t start the car up.

Something else interesting... I did not use my 1.5" spacer. There was enough clearance without it. However... The muffler is exactly 1.5" from the rear heat shield. I am curious how this will effect WEVO installations, since they typically require a 2" extension since they are a tail shifter.

I may have you send it to Mark.. otherwise it will work for a later 911 as well and I think I have one customer waiting on that..

Steve please confirm everything else is correct for height and angle and just moving to the right closer to the muffler by 2" will do whats needed.. Once we know that I will send you another one with corrected tail pipe..

let me know or text me later today
mb911
QUOTE(Steve @ Nov 22 2017, 08:04 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 22 2017, 05:38 AM) *

Something else interesting... I did not use my 1.5" spacer. There was enough clearance without it. However... The muffler is exactly 1.5" from the rear of the heat shield. I am curious how this will effect WEVO installations, since they typically require a 2" extension since they are a tail shifter. Maybe you could modify the heat shield. My car is also a 75. I know the heat shields were different on earlier cars.

Here's a picture of the 3.6 914-6 in Excellence. It used 2" spacers with an M&K muffler and a Wevo 915 trans. I think the M&K muffler is a thinner muffler??
Click to view attachment

both mufflers are 6" diamter
Steve
Then it should work fine with a Wevo 915, but might have to modify the heat shield. Here is a shot of the rear clearance with no spacers using your heat exchangers.
Click to view attachment
Moving the tail pipe 2" to the right should be perfect for my car. The angle and height seems fine.
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 22 2017, 11:50 AM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ Nov 22 2017, 06:37 AM) *

I may have you send it to Mark.. otherwise it will work for a later 911 as well and I think I have one customer waiting on that..

Steve please confirm everything else is correct for height and angle and just moving to the right closer to the muffler by 2" will do whats needed.. Once we know that I will send you another one with corrected tail pipe..

let me know or text me later today

Take care of your real customers first.
mb911
So long story short. Steve received the 1st one and as you can tell tail pipe was in wrong location. Steve's buddy Keith found out and worked out a deal and installed it on his car.. From what I have been told there are some very positive results.. Boxes are ordered and here ready to ship mufflers.. Mufflers will be shipping starting this week amd all will be shipped by the following week. Thanks again everyone for your patience..
mb911
A quick shot of today's shipmentClick to view attachment
Steve
When are these going to ship?
mb911
We will ship this coming week.. Had some hang ups this week.. Just took longer then anticipated..
914dave
I took a sock muffler bracket and welded the upper support on and use spring tensioned muffler clamps. Its just 1/8' or 3.175 mm thick material welded to the bracket and then heated and bent to the form of the muffler

Click to view attachment
mb911
I was talking with Eric Shae about it and he mentioned the GT style hanger?? Not sure but I heard they worked well.
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 10 2017, 10:50 AM) *

I was talking with Eric Shae about it and he mentioned the GT style hanger?? Not sure but I heard they worked well.

That’s what I need.
porschetub
QUOTE(Krieger @ Nov 23 2017, 04:07 AM) *

That's the one I have started to make ,I want to get rid of the normal hanger support
if the stock muffler (heavy) is supported on its own should be fine ,my headers are very solid.
BTW nice work on the mufflers Ben ,do you intend to go into production ?.

mb911
QUOTE(porschetub @ Dec 10 2017, 03:59 PM) *

That's the one I have started to make ,I want to get rid of the normal hanger support
if the stock muffler (heavy) is supported on its own should be fine ,my headers are very solid.

Yes these will be a stock item moving forward..
mepstein
QUOTE(porschetub @ Dec 10 2017, 06:59 PM) *

I agree, your headers are solid. Do you think the headers being that strong and the additional weight of the heater boxes might put more stress on the exhaust studs. The hanger would help to eliminate movement at the ends that might torque the flanges.

mb911
I feel the best solution is to hang them just like a 911 would. This would eliminate any stress on the studs and less likely to break anything..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.