Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: KPH Speedometer Choices?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Midway
A 1972 914 1.7 I now have requires registration here in Western Australia. There are several changes I need to make in order to do so. One is the speedometer must read in KPH or have both MPH and KPH marked on the dial. This car has part No. 914 641 505 11 for 155 x 15 tires fitted reading to 120MPH.

I see heiler-tachodesign have a gauge face reading to 200KPH for sale. It would require a bit of fiddling around to fit. I guess the alternative is to buy a complete metric unit from Europe somewhere. Perhaps if I got hold of an old MPH dial or speedo and repainted the calibrations to metric units and put that in to get through rego. Anybody got any other ideas or useful suggestions?

Cheers.
Mark Henry
One thing you might try is to see if car-bone will make an overlay, I know for sure if you send him your speedo face he will do a custom job on it. Likely your cheapest option.
http://car-bone.pl/

A Canadian speedo from a later 911, but guys often want about $300USD for one.
Or as you said a Euro speedo, I'm guessing it would be about the same money.

I believe North Hollywood speedo will also do one.
http://www.nhspeedometer.com/
Mark Henry
Found this, only thing is the odometer would still be in miles.

http://www.sierramadrecollection.com/Speed...-74-p27102.html

IPB Image
zuluwpt
Hey, are there no gauge faces left down under? Not even one??
I just finished my gauges with heiler-tachodesign faces. I choose the silver buttons for my electronic speedo and the 911S tach for my mfi. Also I put the old style temp face in.
The surface is perfect the letters almost the same, with small deviations - very small. But... it is a 2mm polycarbonate disc. This is not deep dished like the original. You will have some different lighting in the night -
So it is better illuminated than the other old ones.
I put also a set of led`s in.
If you need a face with mps and kmh it is absolutely tooo expensive at heiler-tachodesign.
Sorry, I haven`t left one for you. My old one is a 260kmh and won`t fit.
CheeRS
DirkClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
porschetub
Contact Howard Instruments in Sydney (I think) they should be over to do it for you,certainly cheaper than getting one out of Europe or Canada,they do gauge faces to a really high standard and should easily deal with regearing yours.
I spent 6-8months finding one @ a reasonable price in the US,paid 300NZD for one that only needed cosmetic work....people know the value of these.
Click to view attachment
Chris914n6
early 944 has dual ranges. Comes in white or yellow.
Downunderman
They are in Melbourne and do great work. Another option is get a Speedhut GPS in whatever flavour you like. Also has the advantage of getting rid of the speedo cable and angle drive. The 4" gauge diameter is slightly small however. I have three matching; 2 x 4" [speedo and combo] and tacho 4.5" and made a new mounting plate.

Cheers,

H.
porschetub
QUOTE(Downunderman @ Aug 10 2017, 11:01 AM) *

They are in Melbourne and do great work. Another option is get a Speedhut GPS in whatever flavour you like. Also has the advantage of getting rid of the speedo cable and angle drive. The 4" gauge diameter is slightly small however. I have three matching; 2 x 4" [speedo and combo] and tacho 4.5" and made a new mounting plate.

Cheers,

H.

Is a GPS speedo ADR approved ???
porschetub
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Aug 10 2017, 09:22 AM) *

Cool ,can you tell me about the drive ratio from the drive source maybe its different,than the 944,seem to remember the 914 is direct off the gearbox the early 944 is differant,don't remember straight off.
Midway
Thank you everyone for your replies. I'll look into them and see what leads work out for me. I don't know how I managed to get on before they got the internet up and running - probably wouldn't have bought a 914!
Cheers.
dax1969
For sale on a Belgian website

914 gauges

krgds
Dax
Chris914n6
QUOTE(porschetub @ Aug 9 2017, 10:42 PM) *

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Aug 10 2017, 09:22 AM) *

Cool ,can you tell me about the drive ratio from the drive source maybe its different,than the 944,seem to remember the 914 is direct off the gearbox the early 944 is differant,don't remember straight off.

944 is directly from left front wheel, like a bus.

According to SirAndy the speedo is a direct replacement as per his thread.
porschetub
Oh yes thats right I should know I have 2 of them biggrin.gif ,an Australian member on Pelican did a conversion,from memory all he did was change the face and used the wiring plug from the same car after tracing what wires went where,I thought about it but didn't like the yellow marking on the spare gauge I had ,pretty sure the early 924 had white marking and would look better.
So you buy a suitable gauge for say $40 ,gauge glass cut for $15,a pretty cheap solution for the OP,oh nearly forgot he would need to reset the odometer but that's not too hard while the gauge is apart.
Midway
Good info. Guess I'll start looking to chase down from somewhere a 924/944 metric speedo with white numbers and replace the conical plastic with flat glass. Either that or get hold of a heiler-tachodesign face and fit that but stuck with imperial odo reading (not a problem). Both options cheaper than the $300 plus alternatives I have been quoted. Of interest was the idea of putting a gearbox on the cable to change the ratio thus converting the speedometer to KPH with a maximum reading of 120kph. I'd never go faster than that, it would be speeding eh biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.