Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: If you were buying, which motor would you prefer?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rav914
I may need to sell my car for a number of reasons. It's only a possibility for now but I would need to pull the trigger quickly if it comes down to it.

The car is in great shape. 60K, bought from original owner, solid longs, etc. A few years back I built a 1911cc and swapped motors. The original is in the corner of the shop and I have all the FI components in boxes.

My question: would the value be enhanced if I put the original, albeit dirty, motor back in the car, or is the clean, faster, low mile 1911cc motor the better draw? Both motors would go with the car, BTW.

I keep a lazy eye on the market but haven't been looking too much at what's been selling. Just wondering what the gallery thinks.

Thanks,
bbrock
If it was me buying the car, I'd want the rebuilt motor IN the car, and the original motor to go WITH the car.
mepstein
QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 9 2017, 01:44 PM) *

If it was me buying the car, I'd want the rebuilt motor IN the car, and the original motor to go WITH the car.

agree.gif best of both worlds. Only pull the rebuilt motor if you plan to sell it separately.
DRPHIL914
you will get more total if you sell one of the motors separate from the complete car-
most likely, but you may get someone to pay $xxx for car & motor one and separate deal for the rebuilt motor- lots of guys out there trying to source a rebuilt motor, (this is if both motors are documented as currently running)

The car is worth 10-20% more with matching numbers original running motor
tygaboy
agree.gif I'm with Philip.
burton73
You can start with a higher number with both engines and see where that takes you.

It is hard to tell just what someone wants but you do have a color that lots of people want. I love it but my wife hates it so there you go.

The man with the money will tell you. I saw a Jake Raby engine in a super clean car sorted car sit on here for a very long time. Like $21,000. It did sell to a lucky guy. Try to advertising and see?

Post some pictures on this post and see if someone bites. I know this is not the for sale area but ask the value from our members.
Selling a car when you need the money is not fun. We all want to get the most from a sale but like real estate, a hotter marker with a good product make it seen easer.

If you have to sell and there are no fast takers, a person lowers the price. Some times you have to wait till the right person comes along and pays you the fair price.

Bob B

Racer
Maybe I missed it.. was the stock motor a 1.8 or a 2.0 ? In my admitted bias of 1.8's, keep the 1911 in the car. If a 2.0.. well.. those are well liked and could sell ok either on their own or with the car. Start the sale with both included. Let the buyer decide if he wants the extra motor.

Pulling the trigger "quickly" as a seller is fine.. its finding the buyer that takes time.
Rav914
Thanks for the inputs everyone. I think I know what I need to do. Hopefully I'll be able to hang on to it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.