Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A little help, PLEASE
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914rick
confused24.gif I am installing a new Momo steering wheel and am confused about the wiring for the horn. No instuctions with hub or wheel. The online instructions that I've found are vauge and do not apply to my 73, 914, 1.7 (the fast yellow one). Does anyone know how to deal with the one and only wire for the horn button. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Rick
tryan
the single wire is attached to the horn button. pushing the button shrts this wire to your grounded steering wheel. disconnect the battery so you don't jump out of your skin while you are working on it.
MarkV
You have to take the contact ring off the back of your factory wheel & install it on the back of the MOMO hub. The contact ring has the wire that goes to the horn button.
914rick
confused24.gif Thanks guys, but I should add that the new horn button has 2 plugs, the contact ring has 1 wire. The female end of the wire won't fit either of the male ends on the horn button. The hub came with a 6in wire with the correct size plug for the horn button but not for the contact ring. I was thinking of taking the female end of the new wire and replace the old (smaller) female end with it and then just try it on either one of horn connectors. I guess that I could just try a little vasoline:)
Rick
SirAndy
QUOTE(914rick @ Jul 4 2003, 11:05 AM)
confused24.gif Thanks guys, but I should add that the new horn button has 2 plugs, the contact ring has 1 wire. The female end of the wire won't fit either of the male ends on the horn button. The hub came with a 6in wire with the correct size plug for the horn button but not for the contact ring.

seems like your momo hub is for a early car, which had the contact ring on the steering column and not on the hub.
remove the "button" and add the ring, you might have to hack the wireing a bit, but it'll work ...

does the huib fit otherwise? no gap?

later,
Andy
914rick
beerchug.gif Thanks again guys. I finally got it. After I cut the end off of the extra wire and put the female end on the existing wire (it still didn't work), while still looking at the extra wire, with one end missing, it hit me. The extra wire was to be used as a ground. I attached it to a wheel screw, pluged it into the other horn button conector and beep-beeb-beeb-beep.....
Rick
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.