Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1974 914 porsche ls6 engine, need some help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
trap04
Hey guys, I came across a super sharp 1974 Porsche 914 that hasan ls6 engine in it.. lots of modifications have been made to this vehicle, does anyone have any idea on the value on something like this, I just want to make sure if i buy it that my invested amount of money is close to its value... i believe its the same vehicle as the one in the link, but it appears to need to repairs to the front end currently.... Click to view attachment LS6-powered 914. 525 crank HP in a 2500 pound package. My pictures really don't do it justice, as everywhere you look there are custom fabricated parts. And any time they fired it up, they drew a crowd:
sb914
welcome.png
Larmo63
Are you sure that's a 914?

welcome.png
trap04
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 9 2017, 04:34 PM) *

Are you sure that's a 914?

its listed as a 914, every link i found with the car listed says 1974 914
welcome.png

Larmo63
Ummm, I was kidding.....? poke.gif
trap04
av-943.gif hilarious..
csdilligaf
I sold a very nice 914 with SBC and 915 gear box for $23K a long time ago. With an LS6 it better have an Audi 01E, 915,930 or Boxster S trans so you have at least a chance of it lasting. If it has a mendeola 5 sp your good to go. I don't know what they want for it, there is no link I can find.
mepstein
It has a 930 box. The owner was asking $50k at hershey. Says he has 100k in it. Not my cup of tea- I don't like tea but to each his own. Make sure you like driving it before purchase.
Rand
It comes a lot down to personal opinion. That's not really a 914 anymore. I want an LS-powered 914! But it's a completely different car than other performance directions. You won't get any truly valuable feedback until you tell us how and where you want to drive your dream car. Do you want just stupid strong muscle in a sleeper? Do you want it to handle the best it can? Street only, or do you want to autocross too?
Andyrew
Thats a well documented car and an extremely well built one. Many of us are extremely familiar with it. If thats what your looking for youll be hard pressed to find a better one.

I say Buy it!
Matty900
That's Paul Moser's car. He showed me all of the paperwork on the car. There are around 100k in receipts. Some of that was trying to work issues out. I would love to own this as a track car.
exultant1
With an LS6 and 930 gearbox done right....its easy 25k conversion without the cost of the car and all the suspension and brake upgrade...i believe an LS6 is lighter than a porsche 3.6 and tons of power thats bulletproof. If you intend to keep...buy.
If you intend to sell, you wont get as much...limited interest on hybrids.
My opinion, get a 914 with a carrera 3.2, perfect combination for street, track, auto-x and will hold its value.
And 3.2 914 will definitely be under 50k.
Mueller
How long has it been on the market for that price? While not everyones cup of tea, if it was that screaming of a deal it would have been sold already.

Just be prepared to possibly lose money or sit on it for a bit if you decide to sell it right away.

Also, while it might be a fully functional car, how are you set for working on it if or when it needs work?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(exultant1 @ Aug 10 2017, 02:18 AM) *

And 3.2 914 will definitely be under 50k.

Wrong... (in my opinion) they've been bumping that number for a while. That motor alone will cost $15K. Can you find one done right under $50K? Yes. Will they all definitely be under $50K? Not in the worldwide market. When currency exchange is factored in, some markets will think they stole your car at $60K.

The car pictured is a pretty great car.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(RonD @ Aug 7 2017, 11:54 AM) *

Hoping the weather is going to cooperate for us to have a little social this coming Sunday at my place. 14695 W. 48th Ave., Golden.

Plan was to do a short drive at 5:30 with barbecue after. If it looks more promising in the morning will do the drive at 9:14, with barbecue after.

Let me know if you can make it.

Ron

saw this car at Ockeenerfest 2 years ago if im nit misstaken, trailered it down from NJ? anyway very nice car - they burned up the clutch first day drive so didnt get to enjoy tail of the dragon on it unfortunately- id say buy it! make sure that clutch issue is taken care of, but what will you pay 5 years from now for samw price? we all remember Eliott had a hard time selling the Yellow Zonker a few years back- could have bought that for $20k at the time headbang.gif - i say if he sells for $50k buy it , but its not my money
egon
This car was involved in a major accident and was determined to be a total loss. It bounced through a ditch and wrapped around a tree with very extensive damage to the entire front end, uni-body structure, A pillar, cowl, rockers, driver door and undercarriage. Front suspension, tires and wheels have been totally wiped out.

Owner has been trying to sort it and sell it for years.

I would steer clear of this project.

--Matt
mepstein
Well that's a fun fact.
I wonder if Chris at tangerine racing knows more. It was at his shop a couple years ago.
trap04
QUOTE(egon @ Aug 10 2017, 03:25 PM) *

This car was involved in a major accident and was determined to be a total loss. It bounced through a ditch and wrapped around a tree with very extensive damage to the entire front end, uni-body structure, A pillar, cowl, rockers, driver door and undercarriage. Front suspension, tires and wheels have been totally wiped out.

Owner has been trying to sort it and sell it for years.

I would steer clear of this project.

--Matt

Interesting, I tried facebooking the name of the owner with no luck, would love to talk to him more aout the damages
BIGKAT_83
Car was built by a member here named WBERGTHO plenty of info about it here when he had it. I think the current owner has made major improvements on the car since he's had it.
welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif
egon
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 10 2017, 06:23 PM) *

Well that's a fun fact.
I wonder if Chris at tangerine racing knows more. It was at his shop a couple years ago.

Chris would not know anything about the current state of the car. As you mentioned, it's been years since he's seen the car. The accident occurred very recently.

--Matt
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.