Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is in your tool kit?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
80cap
Besides towing insurance, what do you folks carry for emergency repairs?
After sitting for 3 hours for the roll back to show I could have more than likely
found the ill spark issue and been on my way. I will be putting together a emergency
repair kit. Any suggestions would be great! popcorn[1].gif
Tom_T
For road trips in any of my/our cars, I've always carried my auto tool kit (full kit SAE & Metric), plus spare fan/accsy belts, spare set of spark plugs, misc fuses & screws/nuts/washers, elec. tester, compression tester, etc., & a smallish travel battery charger + jumper cables - although now I just carry an LI battery starter/charger instead (I-start from GoWesty, but they've changed brands).

PS - add proper jack, wheel chocks, coveralls & gloves, plus warning triangles &/or flares.

PSS - for you in OH, if you drive in winter, a bag of sand &/or snow pellets to help out of an icy situation.
I'm originally from Pittsburgh, & have driven in snow a lot even in SoCal (I used to go skiing with my 914 too), so I know!
Survival food/water packs 1/per seat, blanket(s) & sweatshirts/jackets, bright safety vest, & a cell phone are other obvious items.

Those LI starters are smaller than the cables & don't require another car to jump, & I helped 3 cars start after charging both our cells the night before, at one of our vintage trailer rallies (classic cars with old batteries too). Cna't say enough about how handy they are!

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Rand
It's been discussed many times. But definitely a good subject to revisit. Just wish we could combine all the past threads on this subject into one classic instead of starting again from scratch.

Appropriate basic tools, spark plug, points, wire, multimeter, magic wand, phone numbers... biggrin.gif
RickS
Can of Fix-a-flat, the standard Porsche tool kit, new fan belt, jack, vice grips, full compliment of sockets, zip ties, fire extinguisher and towing insurance
porschetub
QUOTE(RickS @ Aug 10 2017, 12:48 PM) *

Can of Fix-a-flat, the standard Porsche tool kit, new fan belt, jack, vice grips, full compliment of sockets, zip ties, fire extinguisher and towing insurance

Phone really have a cheap recovery service on my car insurance,really worth the yearly cost of next to bugger all.
Yet to test it however........
Elliot Cannon
All you need. laugh.gif Trust me, I have used them both. smoke.gif
Mark Henry
Above is pretty good, add a clutch and throttle cable. smile.gif
iankarr
I agree with Elliott...cell phone and AAA platinium are the most important items. Other than that, I carry:
Socket set
Allen set
Relays
Electrical tape, wire and stripper
Screwdrivers
Fire extinguisher
Spare pertronix module
Quart of oil
Spark plugs
Jack
Fix a flat
Lug wrench
Microfiber towels
Detail spray

For longer trips I'd carry spare clutch and throttle cables, but I'd have to be off the grid and/or out of range of an AAA tow to attempt those repairs on the side of the road.

Be safe!

michael7810
QUOTE(cuddyk @ Aug 10 2017, 06:52 AM) *

I agree with Elliott...cell phone and AAA platinium are the most important items. Other than that, I carry:
Socket set
Allen set
Relays
Electrical tape, wire and stripper
Screwdrivers
Fire extinguisher
Spare pertronix module
Quart of oil
Spark plugs
Jack
Fix a flat
Lug wrench
Microfiber towels
Detail spray

For longer trips I'd carry spare clutch and throttle cables, but I'd have to be off the grid and/or out of range of an AAA tow to attempt those repairs on the side of the road.

Be safe!

I carry basically this list plus a cap & rotor and a couple 4' jumper wires. The 2 times I've been stranded were due to a rotor (thankfully Brant had one) and ignition switch which the jumper wires were used to start the car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.