Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Color help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rgalla9146
Is L80E (or 11 on a 6) a true white ?
It is called Elfinbein or Light Ivory on the color code list on this site.
My recollection is that early cars both 6s and 4s were commonly seen in a true white
color
The problem for me is that if you look up Elfinbein it is shown as a light tan.
I want to paint my car white but I'm not sure if that code might give me a 'off white'
shade.
Can you early white car guys help me out ?
Is L80E or 11 a true white ?
TIA
Rory
SirAndy
No, it's a tiny bit creamy ...
shades.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Aug 10 2017, 09:30 AM) *
It is called Elfinbein or Light Ivory on the color code list on this site.

It's actually called "Hellelfenbein" which is important because that literally means "Light Ivory", emphasis on light.

It just has a little bit of a creamy shade to it.
popcorn[1].gif
Ferg
Yes, definitely has a cream tone to it, but it certainly looks white until you park it next to a Grand Prix White car for example, then the off white stands out. Not the best pic example due to the light, but Creamsicle is obviously Light Ivory, the Carrera is Grand Prix White, a true White.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
arne
Grand Prix White is quite white, Light Ivory is a bit creamier, as noted. The next step farther is Chiffon White which is creamier yet. In the pictures below, Chiffon is the 3.2 Carrera, the 912 is Light Ivory, the 928 is GP White.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Ferg @ Aug 10 2017, 12:55 PM) *

Yes, definitely has a cream tone to it, but it certainly looks white until you park it next to a Grand Prix White car for example, then the off white stands out. Not the best pic example due to the light, but Creamsicle is obviously Light Ivory, the Carrera is Grand Prix White, a true White.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Andy, Ferg and Arne, Thank you all very much.
That was very quick and exactly what I needed to know.
And perfectly illustrated as well !!!
One more question please.
Can someone tell me the color name (and code!) for the plastic Porsche race cars ?
906, 907, 910, 917 ?
Once again, TIA
Rory
Tom_T
Rory,

I can't tell you the white used on the plastic racers, but you probably can do some googling & online searching to find it & the Porsche name & color code for their race cars in "white". You might also try looking at the Colliers Museum article in Panorama or Excellence for their website, & see if they have any color name/code details on his collection of Porsche racers up to `73.

I think that Grand Prix White was a later color/code on production cars from the `70's on, but I may be wrong.

As for the L80e pic you saw - you probably saw a faded or off-color rendition (camera &/or screen) version of L80E if it was tan looking - as you can see from the pix above. Light Ivory is very hard to tell as being off-white, unless it's next to a truer white like the Grand Prix white cars in the pix above.

BTW - IIRC on the 914-6's the full Porsche color code was supposed to be 1110 for Light Ivory with black - for the targa roof/sails/rollbar & raockers/valances in black.

PS - You can see examples of 914s in various colors for each MY, if you click on the 914 color silhouettes under each MY to go to the car example.

http://p914.com/p914_paint.htm

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.