Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Blinking red light
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Fatboy007
So the large blinking red light on the left side of the dash . Keeps blinking....i cleaned up the contacts for the emergency brake sensor...not sure if i need to replace it or not. Chiltons manual says something about dual braking system? WTF.gif
SirAndy
Did you recently bleed the brakes or replace brake pads?

The blinking red light is also used to indicate a problem with the master cylinder and on some models there's a reset switch on the cylinder itself ...
smash.gif
IronHillRestorations
You can pull back the rubber boot on the master cylinder and disconnect the wires, if the light stops blinking, you have a problem with your brakes or possibly the master cyl warning switch.

It's possible to have a leaky master cylinder and not see a problem from the bottom of the car. Most of the time when they leak they weep out in the cabin floor and you can't see it unless you pull up the driver's side carpet, and maybe the pedal board.

Is the brake fluid low?
Fatboy007
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Aug 10 2017, 07:27 PM) *

You can pull back the rubber boot on the master cylinder and disconnect the wires, if the light stops blinking, you have a problem with your brakes or possibly the master cyl warning switch.

It's possible to have a leaky master cylinder and not see a problem from the bottom of the car. Most of the time when they leak they weep out in the cabin floor and you can't see it unless you pull up the driver's side carpet, and maybe the pedal board.

Is the brake fluid low?

Brake fluid is good...but ill try the rubber boot
Rand
Isn't there a reset switch on the MC? It might be more of a symptom delayer than a solution, but something to check?

arne
QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 13 2017, 08:36 PM) *

Isn't there a reset switch on the MC? It might be more of a symptom delayer than a solution, but something to check?

If the master cylinder switch has two wires connected, you may have to remove the switch to reset it. If it has only one wire, there may be a small stud in the center to press for reset.
914_teener
QUOTE(Fatboy007 @ Aug 10 2017, 12:32 PM) *

So the large blinking red light on the left side of the dash . Keeps blinking....i cleaned up the contacts for the emergency brake sensor...not sure if i need to replace it or not. Chiltons manual says something about dual braking system? WTF.gif

Two things that come mind and assuming this is a 73.

There is an in line diode wired to a switched ground to that light.
Try reversing the wires at the MC if it is a two wire switch.
914_teener
Quess I add a little bit more.

I just went through this whole interior light and switches. You really need to "ring" out these switched ground wires. They are the brown ones with the white stripe. Realizing that the light in question is like some of the realys.....meaning they just require a ground to supply power.

Through the years these get worn or corroded from the years.

A DVM here and methodically checking is a must.

So if the light is constantly on....that means it is receiving a ground or is grounded.

1. Grounded at the gauge.

2. Grounded at the MC switch.

3. Grounded at Handbrake switch.

4. Grounding from a broken wire.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.