Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sealant Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ThinAir
I discovered that my overhaul gasket set included Type IV Bus Intake Manifold Gaskets, but not the 3-hole style needed for a 2.0L 914 Type IV.

I'm considering reusing my old ones. To make sure I don't have an intake leak, I'm wondering about using some kind of sealant on them. If it's ok to use a sealant, what kind would be ok?
Trekkor
I use Permatex Aviation brush on gasket dressing on almost everything.

There's probally a silicone gasket maker that mihg twork better.

Can't you just get two new gaskets a "bug" shop?

KT
ThinAir
This is Flagstaff - what Bug shop? My closest supplier is in Phoenix.

Permatex will probably work fine, but I'm thinking I can just drill a hole in the VW gaskets and be fine. I just need to be sure I use a sharp drill bit so I don't get ragged edges.
mk114
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...ssPageName=WDVW

here you go

Morphespectra

sells these
Brad Roberts
Ernie,

I had the oppurtunity of seeing "HondaBond" and "YamaBond" in use by some factory trained Porsche Motorsports guy's this past weekend. They swear by it and it appeared to work very well. You can buy it at any motocycle shop that sells Honda's or Yamaha's. You want the stuff that sets up.

B
ThinAir
Thanks, Brad. Is it good to use this stuff on these gaskets even if you are using new gaskets or would this be just if I reuse my old ones?
Brad Roberts
From what I saw first hand.. use it wherever you want. They used it on rubber O rings..case studs... case halves... it is REAL tacky.

We need to talk about your RT66 event sometime late next week over the phone. cool.gif

B
SirAndy
QUOTE (ThinAir914 @ May 17 2005, 10:00 PM)
To make sure I don't have an intake leak, I'm wondering about using some kind of sealant on them. If it's ok to use a sealant, what kind would be ok?

i (we) always use a thin layer of high temp silicone on those thick gaskets (both sides) ...

wink.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.