Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: the little lady's yellow 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
buck toenges
A year ago a elderly lady from Huntington Ind called pelican parts for help with her 1975 yellow 914 1.8L. She bought it from a Dr. friend a long time ago when the Dr. need more room for golf clubs and bought a 911. It has been her baby but she hasn't been able to drive it for a long time. Last year she had problems with her rear lights. Well, over the winter she took to her 98 yr old cousin to fix it.
When the lady drove it home she had white smoke belching out of the tail pipe and found a huge puddle of oil under the car. She called me a month ago to get some help. She had it towed to my porsche mechanic's place a week ago. Turns out the front calipers were locked up, way too much oil in engine, and fuel in the oil. I had an extra set of front calipers and we got new front brake hoses. That took care of the brakes. When it was towed to my buddy's place and sat for a few days we saw not a drop of oil on the concrete. The engine was way over filled with oil.
The next thing is to check out the injectors and cold start valve. We plan to put glass jars under the injectors pulled from the intake and turn the power on. We will then hit the throttle to see if there is a stuck injector.
The lady was told in the past it was going to cost 2k to fix her car. My mechanic has a total of $400.00 in the fix so far. Here are a few pics of the car. I do have a question about this electrical connection on the firewall. I have never seen it before.

She does want to have the yellow plaid seats back in her car. She currently has some sort of carpet on the seats now.
I'll keep everybody updated.
Thanks,
Buck
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
914Sixer
Looks like some of the hot wires that go to the battery got rerouted to home made fuse set up. Check to see IF the factory Positive battery cable is missing connector block. The other fuse block looks like they needed to power something else in the engine compartment.
burton73
I think some one put some extra fuses in the engine compartment between the battery so it could blow fuses right there instead of burning the wiring. Someone was selling this set up 7 years ago on the world and I bought 3 sets.

Bob B
euro911
Good on you for helping the lady out.

agree.gif it looks like two auxiliary 2-position fuse holders were installed (smart move). I purchased one of the 4-position units in the World GB as well. Maybe I'll get around to installing it some day ... lol ... cool_shades.gif

The other black box looks like it might be a hot-start relay confused24.gif ... Trace the wires to see if they go down to the starter (or wherever ...)

I think 914 Rubber sells the plaid seat material idea.gif
mbseto
Sounds like a cool lady.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.