Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hi ho, Hi ho, It's off to work I go
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
I got my call, I start tomorrow in my training for UTR. That is the trucks that move the containers around in the yards at the ports. In order to get this training, you need to pass the Physical and drug and alcohol screening. I start tomorrow at 4 PM so for the next 2 days, I am in training. The cool thing is, they pay you for the training. I am so stoked right now I dont know if I will be able to sleep tonight.

mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif
Trekkor
Union gig with all the bennies?

Hope all goes well for you.

KT
markb
Fantastic! Go get 'em. smilie_pokal.gif
Mrs. K
smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Way to go, Scott!
I am very happy for you! biggrin.gif

Lisa mueba.gif
GWN7
Congrats bud.....I've been wanting to ask what happened, but didn't want to if it was bad news....

smilie_pokal.gif

beerchug.gif
Jenny
Great Scott!! (Rocky Horror reference stones.gif )

Seriously, some great news in an otherwise crappy day. I'm really happy for you! clap.gif

Jen
TonyAKAVW
Congrats! smilie_pokal.gif

Dr Evil
Good job, Scott! smilie_pokal.gif

Great Scott!! (Rocky Horror reference  )

Jenny, have you seen the one in Berkeley? I had a blast there. grouphug.gif
Jenny
Nope, just Camera theater in San Jose. My friend was always Trixie there, so we went a lot. This was back in high school. I don't touch the stuff anymore. smile.gif

Jen
Brad Roberts
COOL. Good job Scott. Glad to hear things are moving forward for you. I wish you the best of luck.

B
Leo Imperial
Good luck Scott!
Most of the people in the training can't even drive a car, so be carefull.
You know you can always pickup a job in Oakland if you come to visit.
Once you get things going drop me a line. We'll get you a request job. beerchug.gif

Leo
xsboost90
now ill espect muh fity ca's in the containa's by tomura nite arels yu brutha gets it.

gone in sixty seconds.
SirAndy
QUOTE (skline @ May 17 2005, 10:22 PM)
I got my call, I start tomorrow in my training for UTR.

what's UTR ????

Urinal Trash Remover ???

confused24.gif Andy
Dr Evil
UTR = Urban Turd Recycler

wink.gif
Leo Imperial
Utility Tractor
Rusty
I don't know what a UTR is... but we call a machines that moves containers a "wretch". blink.gif

Scott, congratulations. I know you've wanted this for a long time, and I'm really happy for you. smile.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
bd1308
damn, i'm rollin.....Andy, Urinal Trash Removal laugh.gif laugh.gif
seriously congratulations man!!! Good luck. i'll do my part to make sure your Urinal trash is as clean as can be. laugh.gif
j/k
Tom Perso
Glad to hear Scott! Geeze, I see you helping so many people, it's nice to see the favor is returned!!!

Universal

Tool

Removal

I think there's a Firefox script to take care of that... blink.gif

Tom
Gint
Grats Scott!
CptTripps
Go get em man...best of luck!
skline
Thanks for all the well wishes, things wont really change much right away, I will still continue to help people with their cars. Sunday will be another one of those days. I got a yellow car to make run and I know of two people that needed front sway bars installed and my transmission needs to be swapped out and the water pump needs to be rebuilt. So things like that wont change. This new job offers me a steady reliable income along with benefits like retirement and medical insurance. Things I didnt have being self employed. I look forward to working on these cars with others here. I will continue to be part of the pillar of this community. Lets get some runs put together and have some fun. beerchug.gif
tat2dphreak
good luck Man!!! smilie_pokal.gif
TravisNeff
Right on Scott! Don't drop a container on your instructor
Howard
Way to go, Scott. Hope you don't lose track of the little people. We still need you for tech support, 914 and computer.
mharrison
Great news! I'm always happy to hear of other people's good fortune.

Elliot_Cannon
Congradulations Scott. I didn't think they would hire a guy over sixty? Did you lie about your age?
cheers, Elliot
Aaron Cox
way to go scott.

i may be able to swing by and help ya install a trans.
/L.
Right on!! wink.gif You'll do great and you'll get to work alot more. No flopping for you rolling.gif Good luck.
xitspd
Congrates Scott! Remember they fall like dominos!

Dan
skline
Well, I just got home from my first day of UTR training. They give you ten minutes to do the deed and i got it down to about 3 minutes so far. Tomorrow we practice till lunch and then when we return, they test us on it. It should be a piece of cake. Then I do the clerk test on Monday. Once that is done, I can do anything at the port. Work work work= Money money money!!!!

smilie_pokal.gif
spare time toys
Dont forget GAS on right BRAKE is the center CLUTCH is on th left driving.gif
redshift
Great deal Scott.. does a UTR have anything that would work on a 914? (besides a pedal cluster... blink.gif)

M
skline
QUOTE (redshift @ May 19 2005, 05:40 AM)
Great deal Scott.. does a UTR have anything that would work on a 914? (besides a pedal cluster... blink.gif)

M

The one I was driving last night has something that works on 914's,...................Me!

These things are automatic, they dont have a clutch. Last night there were 6 or 7 women driving them around. It's pretty easy. The only thing that is even slightly complicated is the sequence you pick up and drop off the trailers. Learned an interesting move last night for parking the 40 and 45 foot trailers in limited spaces. It just takes a little practice.

The test is in this order: You get in, start it up, drive to the container and back into it to lock it, then test the lock, then apply the brakes, lift the fifth wheel to raise the container, then get out and hook up the air hoses, then get back in, release the brake and put it in drive and pull it out and around the lot and then back the trailer back in between two other containers, then set the brakes, lower the container, get out and release the air lines, then get back in release the brake, put it in drive and hit the 5th wheel release and pull forward. They give you 10 minutes to do this. The first time I tried it, it only took me about 6 minutes. By the end of the night, I was down to about 3 minutes. Most of the women were doing it around 5 to 6 minutes. So that should explain pretty much the whole process. It's easy. Even Miles could do it.
redshift
QUOTE (skline @ May 19 2005, 11:39 AM)
Last night there were 6 or 7 women driving them around.

dry.gif

When you said 'longshoreman' and all that, I never thought you'd end up in a salon..

bootyshake.gif

Is your UTR pink? driving-girl.gif <--- Scott? Scott Kline?! I haven't seen you since the Avon party!

M
Tom Perso
Is there room in the cab for a goat? If so, Miles may be interested....

huh.gif laugh.gif finger.gif

screwy.gif

Tom
Allan
Way to go Scott. I know exactly where the training is done. It's right down the street from one of our project sites. After you get into the groove with steady work it's "poco trabajo, mucho dinero"!!!
skline
Ok, Thats all done now. We practiced till lunch time and then when we returned, we tested. I got it down so well I did it in 2 minutes and 10 seconds. The fastest time was just under 2 minutes. He was an instructor. This one guy was so confident he stopped, got out, adjusted the passenger side mirror and then got back in and finished in 3:47. The longest guy took almost 5 minutes, he came around on his first attempt and was too far over so he went around again. Everyone passed tonight. I am scheduled for my clerk test on Monday. Then I will be an Identified casual. Yee haw!!! Thanks for all the support from everyone but Miles, I know he means well but is a little misguided. beerchug.gif
Aaron Cox
WTG scott...

ny the way. what does 'identified casual' ?
skline
Well, you have unidentified casual which can do just the basic jobs at the port like lashing, (The hardest job) and signaling and stuff like removing the cones from the containers and stuff like that. An identified casual is someone who can do any job down at the port. Jobs like driving the UTR's and clerk work. Those are the most available jobs and you wont have to pass on a job because you are not qualified. Clerk jobs pay more and if you get a night shift, it pays even better. Those are the ones everyone wants. Including me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.