Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Differences Between Flat 15x6 and Deep 15x6 Wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gcrotvik
I'm considering purchasing a set of deep 6's. I'm confused as to the differences between the "flat" and "deep" 15 x 6 wheels. I understand they are deeper dish but what does that actually mean in terms of fitment? Both are 6 inches wide and have an offset of 36 and a backspace of 112. To me (I may be wrong, that's why I'm asking), that means the fitment, measured from the inner lip of the wheel well to the outside lip of the rim is exactly the same for both wheels. If so, when why are the deep 6's all the rage? Because they look "deeper"? See the reference chart below.

Educate me please!! Thanks. If this topic has been covered here before, my apologies.

Greg
mb911
I believe its in looks only that there is a difference.
Mark Henry
Where the center meets the rim flat's are 20mm deep and deep's are 43mm.
Some like the look of the deep Fuchs, too me it's only really noticeable on fully polished rims. Fitment is the same.

For me if you're getting a deal sure, but if the price difference is huge I'd go for the flats.

There's also the euromiesters Fuchs in 16" and 17", way cheaper and better tire selection.
I'm seriously thinking about selling my real flat 15" as soon as my tires are done.

IPB Image
BK911
Deep 6s came on the early cars up to 71.
Some didn't have the safety bead.
mepstein
Huge price difference but they will probably just go up in value.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 12 2017, 05:08 PM) *

Huge price difference but they will probably just go up in value.

agree.gif
Then you likely also have to refinish them, more money to pay a pro or a huge DYI time suck.
You could buy the repops and high end tires and it will still come out less than the deep rims alone. In fact you might come out at the price of just 2 deep fuchs. wink.gif

That said if you are getting a steel I'd grab them ASAP.
gcrotvik
I currently have a set of flat 6's that need to be refinished. I was looking at a set of fully finished, TUV approved, reproductions at 350.00 each. That's nearly the cost of refinishing each of my wheels alone. I was hoping the deep 6's were offset slightly outward toward the inner wheel well, to increase the tire track width. Looks like I will keep my OE Fuchs.

Thanks!

Greg
914Sixer
Check out Maxilite Fuchs wheels.
MartyYeoman
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
napasteve
Just to be clear, looking at Mark Henry's picture, the deep Fuchs is on the left and the flat Fuchs is on the right, correct?

Click to view attachment

FYI I like my flat Fuchs (part # 911.361.020.10), refinished by Harvey.

Click to view attachment
pete000
Deep sixes might be lighter and are very expensive. Some also have what is refereed to as with hearts which describes the opening around the valve hole. Some do not have hearts. The heart wheels tend to bring more money.

I was lucky a few years ago to find a set of four deep sixes with hearts for $400.00 I assumed they were reproductions, but to my surprise when I went to buy them they were OEM Fuchs !!! Cha Ching !
Mark Henry
QUOTE(gcrotvik @ Aug 12 2017, 05:44 PM) *

I currently have a set of flat 6's that need to be refinished. I was looking at a set of fully finished, TUV approved, reproductions at 350.00 each. That's nearly the cost of refinishing each of my wheels alone. I was hoping the deep 6's were offset slightly outward toward the inner wheel well, to increase the tire track width. Looks like I will keep my OE Fuchs.

Thanks!

Greg

Be aware many think the TUV approval is bs.gif, they are likely just the same repops that may have been at most x-rayed

QUOTE(napasteve @ Aug 12 2017, 07:12 PM) *

Just to be clear, looking at Mark Henry's picture, the deep Fuchs is on the left and the flat Fuchs is on the right, correct?

Click to view attachment

FYI I like my flat Fuchs (part # 911.361.020.10), refinished by Harvey.

Click to view attachment

Correct, you can see the windows wrap inwards, and sets in further.
nine11speedster
do we have some pricing for both the deep 6" and flat 6" for comparison?
is it true that "heart" are all deep 6"?

Thanks
ndfrigi
QUOTE(pete000 @ Aug 12 2017, 04:18 PM) *

Deep sixes might be lighter and are very expensive. Some also have what is refereed to as with hearts which describes the opening around the valve hole. Some do not have hearts. The heart wheels tend to bring more money.

I was lucky a few years ago to find a set of four deep sixes with hearts for $400.00 I assumed they were reproductions, but to my surprise when I went to buy them they were OEM Fuchs !!! Cha Ching !

ooops sorry Pete! I think that was me who sold that to you. That is my 1st month when I started with 914. Am I right there is 911 part number on it? Well sorry no idea it was OEM and I'm sure you did look at it first before you bought it.
Again sorry! I'm sure u able to sell them for the price you paid. I did bought 2 sets of replicas within my 7 years with 914 and I paid $650 and $440 each set.
wndsnd
I have a set of both. MY deep six with hearts are polished which I do not prefer, but they are worth more than my flat sixes that are original and anodized.

I run the flat sixes daily.

They both fit the same and I like the look. Pricing really depends on finish quality. But if you really have a nice set of deep sixes, you will love the look.
To me the original anodized petals with black background can not be beat.
wndsnd
QUOTE(nine11speedster @ Aug 12 2017, 07:25 PM) *

do we have some pricing for both the deep 6" and flat 6" for comparison?
is it true that "heart" are all deep 6"?

Thanks

I am pretty sure there are deep sixes without the hearts.

Larmo63
Yes, there are deep sixes made by Fuchs without hearts.

Mine have hearts and are all date matched 8/69.........RSR finish

Click to view attachment
wndsnd
wub.gif
pete000
Yes they are OEM Deep sixes with hearts for $400 I could not be happier !
pete000
QUOTE(pete000 @ Aug 12 2017, 09:31 PM) *

Yes they are OEM Deep sixes with hearts for $400 I could not be happier ! Thanks !

gulf908
Greg

what year is your -6 and how correct do you want it ?
the dividing date for the deep/flat wheels is 26 March 1971 according to the workshop manual so the -6 show car guys are understandably keen to get hold of the correct wheels
My understanding is the hearts were on the '69 MY 6" wheels only and deep non hearts thereafter
Another thing to consider is the flats have a safety lip to assist with a flat tyre staying on the rim
The deeps don't have this lip and in the technology of the day would have had a tube.These days,so my suspension guy tells me,modern tyres are not designed with a tube in mind and might overheat
I had to decide this on my recent 2.2 S
I got around this with my 914-6 by changing from 5.5" x 14 deeps to 6" x 15 flats with 195/65s and noone here can tell the difference unless they really know 914s

HTH
Dennis smile.gif

rgalla9146
15" Fuchs were never an option an a standard 914 6
14" Fuchs were optional.
wndsnd
QUOTE(pete000 @ Aug 13 2017, 01:31 AM) *

Yes they are OEM Deep sixes with hearts for $400 I could not be happier !

That is a score. Probably 1/10th the market value right now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.