Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Temperature gauge going nuts!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fduval
On my 1973 914 2 liter, the oil temp gauge started acting crazy ( like going up and down the scale like a nut ) ???? any ideas why it is acting this weird ? flickering !!!
Porschef
Seems like a ground issue. Did you track down a replacement yet?
914Sixer
Your wire from the sender is brittle and going open.
fduval
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Aug 12 2017, 02:01 PM) *

Thats what I tought , so its not the gauge itself that is kaput ?
McMark
Nope. Wire.
porschetub
yep poor contact on supply wire but most likely the ground,sender failure is pretty rare.
Try to supply the gauge with another temporary ground and see what happens.
McMark
Actually, the more likely wire that's failing the Green/Black wire that carries the signal from the sender in the engine sump to the gauge.

If I were testing this issue, I would make a long jumper wire and simply disconnect the sender, and install the jumper wire, then run it out from under the car and in the door and over to the gauge and connect it there (after removing the Grn/Blk). See if that solves the problem, then case the Green/Black wire to find the failure. It's probably rubbed through the insulation somewhere near the motor. There is a connector under the battery (usually in a plastic housing) and I'd inspect the length of wire from that connector to the sump sender first.
Keith914
QUOTE(fduval @ Aug 12 2017, 03:04 PM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Aug 12 2017, 02:01 PM) *

Thats what I tought , so its not the gauge itself that is kaput ?

Typical of a loose or failing harness connection.
iankarr
Exactly what happened on my car. And exactly as McMark said. I replaced the wire from the taco plate sender to the connector under the battery. No more shakes. Well, on the temp sender anyway.
fduval
QUOTE(fduval @ Aug 12 2017, 01:57 PM) *

On my 1973 914 2 liter, the oil temp gauge started acting crazy ( like going up and down the scale like a nut ) ???? any ideas why it is acting this weird ? flickering !!!

You guys are right . I tracked down the black & green wire and found it was rubbing, the protection worned off and was causing a grounding on the chassis. Now fixed. Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.