Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: looking for seam sealer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
i'm looking for seam sealer that is close to the factory stuff in appearance.

anyone got any leads???
idea.gif Andy
Rusty
Check your local auto body supply store... ask for Wurth?

-Rusty smoke.gif
xsboost90
i took some of that heavy duty rock chip guard stuff for rocker panels and sprayed it along the rear seam after POR 15-ing behind my taillights. Seemed to match kinda close.
CptTripps

WURTH BRUSHABLE SEAM SEALER
P# WRTH-8901021
user posted image

PP has it for about $30 a quart.

http://www.drivewerks.com/catalog/ShopCart...WUGARG_pg17.htm
jonwatts
Why do you want seam sealer?

SirAndy
QUOTE (jonwatts @ May 18 2005, 08:25 AM)
Why do you want seam sealer?

because whoever replaced the drivers side rear fender (was done a loooong time ago) forgot to put seam-sealer on the seam under the rain channel for the rear trunk.

now every time i drive in the rain (or pressure wash my fender wells) i have a small lake in the rear trunk ...
barf.gif Andy
Lou W
I'm looking for something that looks more like the sprayed in kind, not the brushed on. The factory seam filler in the trunk area, looks sprayed on, I think that most of the body protecting stuff that is sprayed on the rockers isn't quite as thick as what I'm looking for, any sugestions?
McMark
You can get a sprayer from any automotive paint supply store. We have one here at the shop for that stuff.
balljoint
The seam sealer in my '71 looked like it had been brushed on. Smooth application, long strokes.

The seam sealer in my '74 has a stipled look that tells me it was either spray applied or was a faux finish done by a factory worker who had been watching too many TLC renovation shows.
Lou W
McMark Posted on May 18 2005, 11:18 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can get a sprayer from any automotive paint supply store. We have one here at the shop for that stuff.  

What brand of sealer do you use? It is deluded down? I've used the 3m type that is applied with a cauking gun before. I also have a spraygun used for undercoating, will that work? Thanks

balljoint Posted on May 18 2005, 11:22 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The seam sealer in my '71 looked like it had been brushed on. Smooth application, long strokes.

The seam sealer in my '74 has a stipled look that tells me it was either spray applied or was a faux finish done by a factory worker who had been watching too many TLC renovation shows.

Mine is a 74 too, looks like it was sprayed on, not brushed on. smile.gif
Eric_Shea
Early cars were caulked in and then spread around with a stiff bristle brush. No art. No magic. Probably a job for the "new guy" at the factory. This was done in "some" areas, mainly the body plugs. The rest was sprayed in. Again, no art. I know a certain 914-6 that has a 10mm nut "spray" sealed into the back trunk on the major floor seam just under where the jack would go. We laughed and left it there. (Jim's running out to the garage to find it now) laugh.gif

Later cars were sprayed in all locations, even the body plugs.
scotty b
Wurth Rocker Shutz. It is VERY close to the spray on factory sealer, the only problem is it is VERY thick and has to bee thinned to shoot through an undercoating gun! beer.gif
McMark
Yeah, it must be thinned to shoot.
Lou W
Thanks, Lou
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.