Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: plates to block off front heater ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
what did you (racer) guys use to block off the holes in the front where the heater hose used to go through the front firewall?

right now, i'm using duct tape. but i'm sure there's a better solution out there?

what do you use and where did you get it????
idea.gif Andy
Rusty
I saw some pictures of hand-made plates a while back. Nicely fabbed from sheet metal, IIRC. I did a search in the archives and found nothing. confused24.gif

And no, I don't want to hear about how you don't need heat in California. biggrin.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
skline
I have seen several use tops from aeresol cans. They come in many colors you can even get one to match. They fit right in there.
scotty914
go to your local electric supply house and ask for knock out seals, they will have several types and sizes.

this would be the best type, and should cost about 2 bucks each
RON S.
I ginned up a set for my heater ducts when I installed my hydro clutch.I hadn't ogt around to the heater hoses yet,but Scott's pic is the way I'll go.

Ron
datapace
I PMed Engman about this as a product idea a few months back. I'm sure if other interested people PM him, it will give him more encouragement. laugh.gif If it's going to be much longer, I'm going to have to pull out the metal shears and give it a go.

I don't know if those block out plates in the picture above will work as it's not really a circle, more of an oval.

The few I have see on the board here have involved cutting sheet aluminum and boding (that's right, gluing) the plates in place from the bottom. Seems to give you a nice clean edge. I'm sure someone will chime in with pics.

-bryan
dwillouby
I made a pair from light gauge aluminum and used ultra blue silicon to glue them in place. very simple and looks fine.
David
Howard
PO had already removed heat exchangers so had a lot of heat stuff that was just in the way. Removed the dash assy and old ducting. Used all 3 ways to block. Spray can tops for the floor interior, bolted alum for front, and alum roof flashing/silicone for rear. Flashing is cheap and easy to work (cuts with scissors)

Front:
Howard
Rear just to replace roof cups that were shot. Hard to get pic, but used this same stuff to block off defroster vents in the front.
Howard
And maybe I'm an old fart who worries too much, but not a big fan of any holes between the front compartment and cockpit. In case of the big one, I really don't want gas on my feet. Closing them may just give you enough time to get out before the BBQ.

Easy weekend project.
Engman
Est. delivery time - 1 week.

Sorry guys - work has been kicking me - will have these soon.

M
brant
Andy,

we bought a very thin piece of aluminum sheet (nearly paper thin)

It can easily be trimmed with household scissors.

once bonded in place its like a drum skin...

We also bought thicker sheet for the round cover that supports the grommet and oil line:

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.