Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT Welding advice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
slivel
I want to get a MIG welder and have not welded for a very long time. Did some gas and arc welding in school but nothing since. The local community colleges have welding courses but they are 16 weeks long and result in a certification - something that I don't need. Does anyone have a recommendation on a short course or some books that I can learn (as in self-taught)? Or is this something I really should get professional instruction? My goal is 914 upkeep and minor fabrication involving sheet metal - no heavy duty stuff.
mihai914
I think the best thing to do is try to hook up with someone on the board who is willing to get you started, that's all it takes! I was lucky in that way. It only takes a couple of minutes if the teacher is good and then it's a matter of practice. As a bonus after you can enjoy beer! beerchug.gif

As for books Welder's Handbook that can be found at Home Depot always comes up as a recommended lecture. I found it well written but it remains a very general book, so it won't tell you how to set up a machine and mostly it can't tell you how a good weld sounds, how to feel if voltage is too low or too high, or wire speed.

Mihai
tat2dphreak
check into a local "continuing ed" class at a high school... I just took one of these, and am pleased with the result, since I mainly wanted a refresher, and to practice with mig welding... mine was like 6 weeks long... no cert. just a quickie course...

you could just read a couple books(available at Lincoln's website, cheap), and follow that with some practice on something similar to what you will be working on...

there have been several threads lately as to which welder you should get... I think a 135 MIG(with gas, no flux core) made by miller/hobart or lincoln is what everyone seems to think is best...
TravisNeff
Welding essentials is a good book. There are lots of decent welding books out there.

I'd shoot for instruction of some sort whether it is a class or an experienced welder buddy. This is where reading something out of a book just doesn't convert. I mean if someone shows you a technique, shows you good fom bad, shows you how to set your welder speeds etc - that may take an hour, but reading a book and getting to that same point may take you weeks on your own.
slivel
Thanks, all for your comments.
stags14
QUOTE (slivel @ May 18 2005, 09:39 AM)
I want to get a MIG welder and have not welded for a very long time. Did some gas and arc welding in school but nothing since. The local community colleges have welding courses but they are 16 weeks long and result in a certification - something that I don't need. Does anyone have a recommendation on a short course or some books that I can learn (as in self-taught)? Or is this something I really should get professional instruction? My goal is 914 upkeep and minor fabrication involving sheet metal - no heavy duty stuff.

Very good video:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...g=UTF8&v=glance

welder.gif
xsboost90
when i bought my miller welder, it came w/ a welding video w/ tips and such. I can send it to you if you like, i weld alot and it was still very informative. parts of it that is.
TravisNeff
That video is very geeky, it's like watching mr science do his work, with the welding jackets and all - surprised he didn't have a holster for his mig pliers. It was helpful for setup and a little technique
Air_Cooled_Nut
There aren't community classes (non-graded) from the community college? Are you sure? Yes, personal instruction is best and then it's practice, practice, practice.

The two books I bought that helped me when I was in your same position (high school classes in metal shop then many years later...) are:
Welder's Handbook -- isbn 1-55788-264-9
Haynes Techbook, Welding Manual (good diagrams of proper welds and what-to-do-if's) -- isbn 1-56392-110-3

Okay, as to the particular welder, here is my opinion based upon my hobbiests view-point. Get a MIG welder that can use both gas AND flux-core (gas-less). However, you want to weld WITH GAS! It's soooooooooo much easier to do and cleaner...BTDT! The ability to use flux-core is nice just in case, like outside in a windy location where gas wouldn't work well. Also, get a welder that has infinite voltage and wire speed. Again, BTDT and fine tuning the welder makes it much more pleasant. Finally, get on that can use house-hold voltage (115v - 120v). Yeah, 240v is nice but you become VERY limited to where you can weld. With a 115v welder it becomes more portable -- I've taken mine 'on-site' to fix/weld a farmer's tractor plow and his wife's 50+ year old garden shovel (and welded a rod inside to make it stronger wink.gif ).

You can easily get a welder mentioned above about for $450-$500 new. Don't be afraid to buy a used one if it has all the features you like. There's really not a whole lot to break if it's been treated well. Like with any tool, buy the best that you can and it will serve you well for many years and cost you less in the long run welder.gif
John Kelly
Hi Steve,

You may be able to teach yourself. Mig welding is the easiest form of welding. The stick and gas welding you did before are both far more difficult to learn.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.