Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LED tail light options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mb911
I see that there are 2 members here that sell LED for our tail lights. One is a bulb replacement and one is a pcb board replacement. Which is better and for what reasons. Please loop me in..
michael7810
I don't know about the bulb replacement option. I have the board LEDs and they are super bright and really get noticed. I was not sold on the idea until I saw them on another 914. In addition, Spoke is a great vendor to work with as well. You can probably see pics by searching on 914world or on spokeworksled.com
mb911
I also was looking at carmagic.. He is also a member here.
arne
I don't have LEDs in the 914, but I do have spoke's LED circuit boards in my 911. In my mind, the biggest benefit of the circuit board style is they have many more LEDs, and are therefore much brighter. For my 911, spoke's LED board has 48 LEDs. I'm not aware of any bulb replacement that has anywhere close to that number.

Bulb replacements depend on the reflectivity of the existing reflector, if it is tarnished there is less light directed to the desired direction. Circuit boards can be optimized to shine in the proper direction, and do not use the reflector at all, so they are bright even if your tail light housing is sub-optimal.
mb911
QUOTE(arne @ Aug 14 2017, 12:28 PM) *

I don't have LEDs in the 914, but I do have spoke's LED circuit boards in my 911. In my mind, the biggest benefit of the circuit board style is they have many more LEDs, and are therefore much brighter. For my 911, spoke's LED board has 48 LEDs. I'm not aware of any bulb replacement that has anywhere close to that number.

They can also be optimized for viewing angel. Bulb replacements depend on the reflectivity of the existing reflector, if it is tarnished there is less light directed to the desired direction.

Good point.. I may have to wait on sale from spoke.
Shadowfax
I have Spoke's LEDs in my 914, front and back. Am quite pleased with them and am planning on ordering his kits for my 911.
Carmagic has good products too, especially their instrument lighting kits. However, I ordered a pair of LED taillight bulbs for my 911 and they didn't fit the socket. Thought it was the socket but it appears the metal part of the bulb isn't quite big enough. Maybe they fit the 914 better. You are welcome to try them if you'd like for the price of shipping.
jim_hoyland
Are spokes rear lights still available ?
arne
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Aug 14 2017, 02:43 PM) *

Are spokes rear lights still available ?

Spokeworks LEDs
michael7810
QUOTE(arne @ Aug 14 2017, 01:28 PM) *

Bulb replacements depend on the reflectivity of the existing reflector, if it is tarnished there is less light directed to the desired direction. Circuit boards can be optimized to shine in the proper direction, and do not use the reflector at all, so they are bright even if your tail light housing is sub-optimal.

That's what I meant to say agree.gif
Cairo94507
Hi Ben- I bought Spoke's LED's, front and rear, for my Six. I think this is the best option as it reduces the draw in our old wiring and increases brightness and awareness. This is one thing we can do for our little cars to make them more noticeable to other drivers and hopefully reduce the chance of getting hit. Spoke makes a terrific product. Best, Michael
mb911
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 14 2017, 02:39 PM) *

Hi Ben- I bought Spoke's LED's, front and rear, for my Six. I think this is the best option as it reduces the draw in our old wiring and increases brightness and awareness. This is one thing we can do for our little cars to make them more noticeable to other drivers and hopefully reduce the chance of getting hit. Spoke makes a terrific product. Best, Michael

I am going to have to sell some more mufflers, heat exchangers and oil tanks I guess.. 2 large company's are looking at carrying my parts so that will help. Lol
SKL1
I have Spoke's "bulbs" in both my 914's and am very happy with them. If you have the euro front lenses, it is a great way to get the lights to work like they're supposed to, with the blinker and parking light functions.

Hopefully he will do some more batchs...
falcor75
I only have Spokes LED brake pcb's so far but they are awsome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2cFQvHEeQA&t=7s

Check out this clip and fastforward to around 1 minute 20 seconds to see how bright they are from a distance. I will get the rear turn signals later too when I have gotten Euro rear lenses.

//Mats
RickS
I got these from Superbright and they are plug and play. $30 for a pair. They are far brighter than incandescent and instant on. https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/br...ofit/2625/5698/
mb911
QUOTE(RickS @ Aug 14 2017, 09:37 PM) *

I got these from Superbright and they are plug and play. $30 for a pair. They are far brighter than incandescent and instant on. https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/br...ofit/2625/5698/

So the question is could you put a number on it as far as how much brighter then stock? Tail lights are my particular area of concern.. What I am doing is picking away at parts that need to be completed as I continue to do metal work.. Still a long time until primer..

I have been inspired by Michael's thread and figured those are small obtainable goals.
mepstein
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Aug 15 2017, 01:21 AM) *

I only have Spokes LED brake pcb's so far but they are awsome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2cFQvHEeQA&t=7s

Check out this clip and fastforward to around 1 minute 20 seconds to see how bright they are from a distance. I will get the rear turn signals later too when I have gotten Euro rear lenses.

//Mats

Great demo. I better put my Spoke LED's in before I head down to GA for Octeenerfest.
Montreal914
Reviving this post instead of beginning a new one.

I'm gradually converting some bulbs to LED starting in the back for safety reasons. I would love to have a Spoke setup drooley.gif but it's out of my budget range. dry.gif

I have the European tail lights and wanted to keep the side maker bulb. As we know, the side marker light carries over in the blinker area making the orange blinker light up (EU cars don't use the side marker bulb). To solve that, I ordered a couple of red side marker bulb from SuperBrightLED BA9S-RHP5 which lights up the lens corner red, same as tail light. When I turn the blinker on, it then nicely flashes orange. I'm pleased with the result. (will post pictures tonight).

For the tail light/Brake light, I've ordered one SBL 1157-R18-T red to test. The tail light function is nicer than the incandescent bulb (really red), but I'm not happy with the brake light brightness. Of course, it lights on 1/2 second faster than the incandescent but it's not as bright. dry.gif

After my purchase, I have read that this is regularly brought up as a complaint, also in the motorcycle crowd.

For the ones who have converted to LED bulbs, what's your experience on tail/brake dual function 1157 bulbs? beerchug.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Apr 14 2018, 09:05 AM) *

I'm gradually converting some bulbs to LED starting in the back for safety reasons. I would love to have a Spoke setup drooley.gif but it's out of my budget range. dry.gif

Do the Spoke units have to be installed all as a set, or could someone install and run just the brake light LEDs and then down the road upgrade to the other pairs of boards?

Mr. Olympic Blue 2 You
You can upgrade as you go, it's literally a 5 min install when you have the light housings out. I bought just the brake lights for my race car.

IMO it's $100 well spent and cheaper than soccer mom's caravan in the back of your car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.