Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help with rubber bumpers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NJTom
As you can see the rubber bumpers are discolored and look pretty bad. Mostly the front. I used Armor All but the results were less than stellar. Has anyone run into this and looking for suggestions, thanks in advance. Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
NJTom
As you can see the rubber bumpers are discolored and look pretty bad. Mostly the front. I used Armor All but the results were less than stellar. Has anyone run into this and looking for suggestions, thanks in advance. Click to view attachment
arne
Armor All is post-2-1117899824.gif

I brought mine back first cleaning with Griot's Rubber Cleaner, then treating them with Griot's Long Lasting Tire Dressing. They look much better now. You probably don't need to use Griot's products, but you will want to use quality products made for a specific purpose.
DRPHIL914
look like bumper tops for an early bumper, - id say
www.914rubber.com for new bumper tops-

sb914
Backdate!
rjames
I've used the 'forever black' type products that are used on tires with excellent results. My bumpers were in very good shape to begin with though. is that white paint on yours, or just severely weathered?

As others have said, Armor All is crap.
76-914
Someone recently posted how they refurbished theirs. IIRC, they sanded it down a bit them treated it. It like quite nice! beerchug.gif
arne
Now that I can see the picture, it looks like someone has painted or coated that bumper in the past. You will need to strip off what was done before and see what the rubber underneath looks like condition-wise.
Porschef
When I did the backdate, I did sand mine down, started with 150 and worked down to 320, IIRC. They came up nicely as there was some old adhesive or such on them. After that, you can apply a protectant. I use a Norwex product called Leather Shine, and then a topcoat of 303 to protect them from UV's.

As stated above, ArmorAll is crap, silicone based that attracts dirt and forces you into thinking you gotta keep reapplying it. Smart, right? bs.gif
burton73
Clean them with gloves on number 1 and put some Acetone to remove the shit that is on there. You can sand them a little. That is what I did with the tits on my 74 and it worked great.

Bob B
malcolm2
Sounds like these guys did a full refurb job. For just cleaning and protecting, I am a huge fan of Aerospace 303. Armour-all type prduct but no shine. I use it on my boat hull too. Tires, dash, etc...
Rand
QUOTE(sb914 @ Aug 14 2017, 12:49 PM) *

Backdate!

laugh.gif
to what? (somebody had to) Which backdate do you prefer?

Definitely looks like someone applied a "special treatment" to that top. Get that off first and then see what you have to work with. I think it's salvageable with the right treatment as others have suggested. If you give up, go to 914rubber and get a pristine piece.
NJTom
Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.