Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: /6 Conversion Bulkhead Access Cover
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
earossi
Hi all. We've got a /6 conversion that we completed last year. There is no access to the "front" of the engine for things such as alternator removal, fan, or fan belt replacement. I know that others have fabricated removable cover plates to cover an access hole in the engine compartment bulkhead.

Can someone point me to posts for that modification, so that I don't need to reinvent the wheel. Better, still, would be to find someone who has a fabricated cover plate that I could use on my car.
Larmo63
I drew a line, cut it out and used a firewall cut out from another car that I used for the hatch which is about an inch bigger all around.

Easy peasy. It took me about an hour to finish. I did get some rubber beading that seals the engine side of the surround.

Some others will pipe in here with pictures, I couldn't find a good one.
mb911
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 14 2017, 05:30 PM) *

I drew a line, cut it out and used a firewall cut out from another car that I used for the hatch which is about an inch bigger all around.

Easy peasy. It took me about an hour to finish. I did get some rubber beading that seals the engine side of the surround.

I plan to do the same thing.
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 14 2017, 09:33 PM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 14 2017, 05:30 PM) *

I plan to do the same thing.

Ben - I have a bulkhead piece if you need one.
rgalla9146
Easy.
4, 1/4 - 20 screws, square nuts welded to engine side. Fits like a glove.
mepstein
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Aug 15 2017, 10:27 AM) *

Easy.

I like it. Looks very neat. Is it a part of engine shelf or a formed piece of steel?
mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 15 2017, 06:35 AM) *

Easy.

I like it. Looks very neat. Is it a part of engine shelf or a formed piece of steel?

Definitely going to do this .. Makes it so easy to do things.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 15 2017, 10:35 AM) *

Easy.

Hey Mark....sorry about that. It's a piece cut from a rusted out car.
The hole measures 7 1/2" x 10"
The piece is 9" x 12'
To use anything but an original piece is a waste of effort...unless you're installing a
very large V8 or whatever.
GeorgeRud
Getting a piece from a doner car would definitely be the easiest way to go. Components that are easily accessible in a 911 are well hidden in a 914-6. Ask anyone whose changed out a fan belt or alternator with the engine in the car. Makes removing the power train, doing all the service needed, and reinstalling seem like a reasonable choice.
drem914
QUOTE(earossi @ Aug 14 2017, 06:22 PM) *

Hi all. We've got a /6 conversion that we completed last year. There is no access to the "front" of the engine for things such as alternator removal, fan, or fan belt replacement. I know that others have fabricated removable cover plates to cover an access hole in the engine compartment bulkhead.

Can someone point me to posts for that modification, so that I don't need to reinvent the wheel. Better, still, would be to find someone who has a fabricated cover plate that I could use on my car.

Check with forrestkhaag on the website he has some nice carbon fiber covers he has fabricated.
Keith914
Cover was made from a donor car. Note, the hatch was made wider low on the passenger side to have better access to the distributor. (Pic upside down?)

Click to view attachment
jkb944t
On mine I made the top of the hole is 5.25 wide and the bottom of the hole is 5.62 wide. The hole is 6.75 high and the bottom edge of the hole is 10.12 up from the top of the center tunnel.

This is my build thread with the pictures of the access cover on post #56: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...19197&st=40

Jeff B

Mark Henry
I'm not working with any itty-bitty keyhole, go big or go home. biggrin.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
mepstein
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 15 2017, 01:40 PM) *

Slide the engine in through the passenger compartment?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 15 2017, 01:44 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 15 2017, 01:40 PM) *

Slide the engine in through the passenger compartment?

laugh.gif
rgalla9146

If I had a twin plug engine I'd get a plexi cover. biggrin.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Aug 15 2017, 02:00 PM) *

If I had a twin plug engine I'd get a plexi cover. biggrin.gif

I know...sucks right? unsure.gif

I have that gorgeous dizzy and it's totally hidden in a 914 bay. sad.gif
Mitox
This is a little off subject, but I am cutting the same access, and am considering the Clewett Engineering serpentine belt conversion. It's crazy expensive, but would make life much easier.

Does anyone have any experience with the conversion?
Steve
Curious how big does the hole need to be to replace the alternator? I have no problems changing the belt or getting to the distributor without putting a hole in the firewall. However I do not want to pull the motor or injection to replace the alternator some day.
earossi
QUOTE(Steve @ Aug 15 2017, 05:20 PM) *

Curious how big does the hole need to be to replace the alternator? I have no problems changing the belt or getting to the distributor without putting a hole in the firewall. However I do not want to pull the motor or injection to replace the alternator some day.

The purpose of the hole is to replace the fan belt, and perhaps to access the distributor. Replacing the alternator through such a hole is problematic. To remove the alternator you have to release the fan housing, you must release the metal strap that holds the fan housing in place. To do that, you have to remove the hardware that attaches the plastic shroud to the to the fan housing. And there needs to be access to disconnect the wiring on the back side of the alternator.

I believe it would be difficult if not impossible to do that work through a hole in the sheetmetal. Lastly, keep in mind that the hole would need to be large enough to pass the fan housing and attached alternator. Thats a hole much larger than the small hole needed to replace the fan belt.

For me, the easiest path is to drop the engine in the 3 to 4 hours required, in order to access the alternator.
porschetub
I made a smaller hole and made a stainless plate to go over the hole ..bit of a hack job but plenty of room to do stuff,need to deburr the edges as they are a little sharp.
Personally I thing small is better.
GeorgeRud
Or if it's a carbed engine, remove the intakes and fiberglass shroud from the top, then access the alternator. However, dropping the engine is easiest.
Steve
You don't need a hole to adjust or replace the fan belt. You just need the right tools. Though, the hole probably makes it easier.
I have no hole in my firewall and I have no issues adjusting or replacing the belt.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(porschetub @ Aug 15 2017, 07:40 PM) *

I made a smaller hole and made a stainless plate to go over the hole ..bit of a hack job but plenty of room to do stuff,need to deburr the edges as they are a little sharp.
Personally I thing small is better.

My big hole the fastening plate I welded in is 16 gauge (that's .060, the stock metal is 20ga or .036) and the edges are all 1/2" rounded over so there's no sharp edges.
The rounding over also allowed me to tuck the cut to fit sound pad into it.
I used 15 1/4" rivnuts to fasten the cover.

I had a smaller hump cut out from a donor, as I was going to do the small hole, so I welded it to the hatch cover and my hump area is now double thick.
It may be overkill, but it's plenty strong, I'd say stronger than the original.

I wanted to be able to remove the front engine surround, service the carrera adjusters, time/service my dizzy, belt and replace my alt without removing the engine. I know can R&R the front engine surround tin in car, as I've already done it.
I also dropped a socket into the hell hole, I just reached in and grabbed it with ease.
For me bigger is better wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.