Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: plexiglas windshield
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
arnoldsmith
Does anyone no where I can purchase a plexiglass windshield? I race a 914-6 GT and the original glass is so pitted I can hardly see throught it!
tat2dphreak
ok, I dunno about a race car, but I don't think plexi is legal for street and it's not safe either... plus, plexi + sun is not good...
Scott Carlberg
QUOTE (arnoldsmith @ May 18 2005, 08:08 AM)
Does anyone no where I can purchase a plexiglass windshield? I race a 914-6 GT and the original glass is so pitted I can hardly see throught it!

I was down at Willow Springs on the saturday B4 the WCC, Mickey Rooney's son Chris (?) was there with his Blue 914-6 racecar.
he had a flyer for a Plexiglass Windshield for Sale, I *think* it said $475, I think!

I have his info and pictures at home.
I'll send it to you, if you want.

His racecar was/is for Sale too!

Pics & Info to follow.
machina
go to http://racingshields.com/

mine fit perfect, still scratch free, was about $325 but the anti-fog coating was a bit more, didn't get that option.

I think many vendors buy from them, I am happy with it.
Randal
mine fit perfect, still scratch free

So how did you install the new one, using the existing rubber or some other way?

slivel
You must use polycarbonate (Lexan) to be legal in most racing organizations. Minimum thichness is 1/4 inch. Plexiglass will shatter, don't use it. Polycarbonate is what they make "bulletproof " glass out of. I just buy mine in sheets and have windshields cut from it. The place I go to locally sells 6x8 sheets and I can get two windshields from it plus some scrap. Last time I bought , it was about $350/sheet and a $30 cutting charge. All that I have to do is drill the 7mm holes for my fasteners. A flat sheet will work on a 914. I use about 25 fasteners and it pulls in to the contours of the frame.
retrotech
I intend to use Lexan windows in my street car. Anyone with "bad" experience using them? I never drive in the rain, the biggest issue will be cleaning bugs, with out scratching. Sun is no issue, its always parked inside. Comments, recomendations?

Thanks
machina
QUOTE (Randal @ May 18 2005, 12:28 PM)
mine fit perfect, still scratch free

So how did you install the new one, using the existing rubber or some other way?

this is one job i did not do myself.

there is no rubber anymore but we were able to keep the factory clips to hold the chrome trim. That was important to me because of the vintage clubs etc.

there are nut plats riveted and drilled about every 8 inches around the frame. The trim actually covers the holes entirely, came out real nice.

I have seen flat Lexan used on 914's. I works but does not compare with a molded screen. Take a look at your windshield, it does have a compound curve. Guess it depends what your looking for. They will both function the same accept that the racingshields have anti scratch and anti fog coatings that really do seem to make a difference.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.