Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adapter plate/Flywheel questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TonyAKAVW
So I found a potentially good deal on an adapter plate and flywheel for my Subaru conversion. The adapter plate and flywheel in question were bought for putting a 2.0 Subaru motor into a bus. It seems that the adapter plate should be fine for use with a 901 transmission and a 2.5L Subaru engine, but I haven't been able to figure out whether the flywheel will work for me.

I don't know if its a 228mm flywheel or not and I suppose thats something I should have the seller measure, but lets assume that it is. What sorts of problems might I encounter with this? Are the ring gears going to match up or is te starter going to require some shims, or movement, etc.?

And about clutches. If I have a 228 mm flywheel I suppose I will be forced into using a bus clutch. Is this bad or good?

-Tony
Mark Henry
Fly won't work....off-set is different on a bus...starter won't line up to the gear for one.
bondo
But isn't the ring gear offset in the right direction such that adding a starter spacer will make it usable?
scotty914
well i dont know about the flywheel, but i would bet you could send it to KEP for a credit to a 914 one. i do know the bus clutch stuff is cheaper.

here is a question can he use a bus starter, i thought they were the same, or is it a bell housing thing. i just know when i got my kit it worked fine.
Mueller
QUOTE (TonyAKAVW @ May 18 2005, 09:20 AM)
So I found a potentially good deal on an adapter plate and flywheel for my Subaru conversion. The adapter plate and flywheel in question were bought for putting a 2.0 Subaru motor into a bus. It seems that the adapter plate should be fine for use with a 901 transmission and a 2.5L Subaru engine, but I haven't been able to figure out whether the flywheel will work for me.

I don't know if its a 228mm flywheel or not and I suppose thats something I should have the seller measure, but lets assume that it is. What sorts of problems might I encounter with this? Are the ring gears going to match up or is te starter going to require some shims, or movement, etc.?

And about clutches. If I have a 228 mm flywheel I suppose I will be forced into using a bus clutch. Is this bad or good?

-Tony

how hard is it to call Kennedy and ask, this way you'll know for sure instead of getting a bunch of "guesses" smile.gif

aircooledboy
Ironically, when I called KEP during my Stage III clutch cluster f#*k, all I got from them was a series of "guesses". laugh.gif confused24.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE (Mueller @ May 18 2005, 01:48 PM)
QUOTE (TonyAKAVW @ May 18 2005, 09:20 AM)
So I found a potentially good deal on an adapter plate and flywheel for my Subaru conversion.  The adapter plate and flywheel in question were bought for putting a 2.0 Subaru motor into a bus.  It seems that the adapter plate should be fine for use with a 901 transmission and a 2.5L Subaru engine, but I haven't been able to figure out whether the flywheel will work for me.  

I don't know if its a 228mm flywheel or not and I suppose thats something I should have the seller measure, but lets assume that it is.  What sorts of problems might I encounter with this?  Are the ring gears going to match up or is te starter going to require some shims, or movement, etc.?

And about clutches.  If I have a 228 mm flywheel I suppose I will be forced into using a bus clutch.  Is this bad or good?  

-Tony

how hard is it to call Kennedy and ask, this way you'll know for sure instead of getting a bunch of "guesses" smile.gif

Yep...but the ring gear on a bus is closer to the case (the 914 does have a deeper bell housing)..so with the adaptor plate it should be even closer...

But that said I've never done a porschru....so what the hell do I know confused24.gif
Mueller
you might be able to bribe Jon Watts or Fiid (if his is not bolted up) into measuring the parts they have, of course not sure if that'll help if the thier motors are too different from the 2.5 motor you have....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.