Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche logo question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bondo
What the heck are those eyelash looking things supposed to be?

bd1308
awesome question...i was looking at mine while i was driving the other day..... clap.gif
JWest
Antlers or staghorns - from the coat of arms of the region around Stuttgart (Wurttemberg).
jgara962
This is a long time ago, but someone did a story on the meaning behind the logo's of european cars. If I remember correctly, I think they are supposed to represent antlers or horns.
URY914
QUOTE (James Adams @ May 18 2005, 09:21 AM)
Antlers or staghorns - from the coat of arms of the region around Stuttgart (Wurttemberg).

Correct!
You have own a new GT3.
But you have to pick it up at the factory.
Peter Porsche would like to meet you. biggrin.gif
beer.gif

Paul
JWest
QUOTE (URY914 @ May 18 2005, 12:30 PM)
QUOTE (James Adams @ May 18 2005, 09:21 AM)

Correct!
You have own a new GT3.
But you have to pick it up at the factory.
Peter Porsche would like to meet you. biggrin.gif
beer.gif

Paul

Gee thanks! My first stop when I'm back stateside will be to drop it off at your place - I don't want it back until it you have made it the lightest GT3 known to man - if it comes out over 50 lbs (with you in it) then just keep it. lol2.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (bondo @ May 18 2005, 10:15 AM)

deer antlers ...
GWN7
QUOTE (SirAndy @ May 18 2005, 09:50 AM)
QUOTE (bondo @ May 18 2005, 10:15 AM)

deer antlers ...

It's well known (in hunting circles) that German deer have three horns.... wink.gif
sjhowitson
Speaking of the PORSCHE crest. Does anyone know where to get a large patch to put on the back of my racing suit? I see them on TV all the time. beerchug.gif
balljoint
Forget the antlers. What about the poor pony in the middle who is getting bit on the head and the bum by a pair of miniature dragons. Who comes up with this stuff. Sheesh.

Check your local Porsche Dealer for crests and all kinds of other logo-ized stuff that you might think you need but that your wife will wonder why you bought a travel mug for $45.00 to keep in your 914 which has no cup holders. smile.gif
airsix
QUOTE (balljoint @ May 18 2005, 10:27 AM)
Forget the antlers. What about the poor pony in the middle who is getting bit on the head and the bum by a pair of miniature dragons. Who comes up with this stuff. Sheesh.

The horse is from the coat of arms of the city of Stuttgart. Here's a picture. Same horsey.user posted image
balljoint
Aah, yes, well, my bad then. biggrin.gif Thanks.
Allan
QUOTE (sjhowitson @ May 18 2005, 10:58 AM)
Speaking of the PORSCHE crest. Does anyone know where to get a large patch to put on the back of my racing suit? I see them on TV all the time. beerchug.gif

Here are a few.

Porsche Patches
Maltese Falcon
"How Porsche got its Crest"-- excerpts from Zipper Porsche newsletter circa 1988:

Max Hoffman, the man who was to become the most influential importer of European cars to America, bought three Porsches in the early 1950's. He was soon to sign on as Porsche's U.S. importer. His enthusiasm for the car helped to lay the groundwork for Porsche's success on this continent, and the idea he presented to Ferry Porsche over lunch one day was the beginning of one of Porsche's most famous distinguishing features---its crest.
On that afternoon in 1952, when Hoffman mentioned to Ferry Porsche that he believed cars should have emblems, Dr. Porsche immediately began to sketch one on a napkin. In his sketch were three elements: the name PORSCHE, the colors of Stuttgart and the German state of Baden- Wurttemburg, of which Stuttgart is capital.
He then suggested superimposing Stuttgart's prancing-horse coat of arms over the antlers and red and black stripes of Baden- Wurttemburg, with PORSCHE in bold letters across the top. The final design for the distinctive crest still used by Porsche today was done by freelance designer Erich Strenger. In striking contrast to the heraldic look of the crest is the high-tech PORSCHE logotype, also designed by Strenger. The classic combination of these elements gives the Porsche name a characteristic authority now reckognized the world over. And it all started on a table napkin !

Sorry for the long post...but That's history rolleyes.gif
der Falkon

SirAndy
QUOTE (GWN7 @ May 18 2005, 10:55 AM)
It's well known (in hunting circles) that German deer have three horns.... wink.gif

actually, growing up in a hunter family, i can tell you we also have "Zwölfender" ...
don't know what the propper english hunting term is, but is means "twelve horns", meaning 6 on each side ...

and those are some big MOFOs !
huh.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE (Maltese Falcon @ May 18 2005, 10:51 PM)
Baden- Wurttemburg

that would be "Baden-Württemberg" ...

note the ü in Württem, not u
and the e in berg, not burg ...

wink.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.