Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 Project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RaymondD
Hi Folks,

I have a 1970 914-6 that I will be restoring soon. It's a really nice car, straight body, and has never been wrecked. The 2.0 motor is long gone. Presently its got a 2.4 liter 911 E motor that hasn't run in decades though I was able to get the engine to fire about 6 months ago. My plan is to put a 3.2 liter Carrera motor in the car. I am looking for recommendations on whether its worth it to go twin plug, swap the EFI for carbs, or even PMO throttle bodies. I am keeping the 901 tranny and am aware that I will need to get a converted flywheel to mate the tranny and bigger motor.
914Sixer
Let the fun begin!!!!

welcome.png
Tom_T
Raymond,

You might want to PM or email to member Andy T./SoCalAndy - IIRC he did a twin-plug 3.2 in his 70 914-6 "Resurrection".

PS - His car is in the listing topic of Cars of the Month (COTM), & he may still have a build or other thread(s) on here about his -6. Both his prior 72 2056 /4 & his -6 are/were Yellow, so look for the later `6 resto.

Also try to find out your -6's original 2.0 case number (get a COA from PCNA, then keep looking for it, because they turn up every now & then FS on the internet sources, Porsche & car swaps, etc. Long term you may just find it to reunite in or store for your -6.

welcome.png

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
gereed75
Just a thought but why not rebuild the 2.4?? They can pretty easily make 190+ HP and make a pretty quick and very entertaining street motor.

I personally prefer the character of carbureted or MFI induction over the more "domesticated" later MAF based induction. One throttle plate pEr cylinder really lets out the "zing" that made these motors legendary. All personal preference of course.
Cairo94507
welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png

Wow two new members who want to restore their Sixes. Post a ton of pictures and read the build threads here. Plenty of cars that have gone to 3,2 motors.
Cheers beerchug.gif

Michael
Larmo63
If it's a real /6, you scored either way. A 2.4 is fun, a 3.2 might be even more fun. I've ridden in both, different sounds, and different power band(s.)

Kent is currently with Cairo's six, he is the maestro in my opinion.

And,

welcome.png
SirAndy
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 16 2017, 06:58 PM) *
A 2.4 is fun, a 3.2 might be even more fun.

agree.gif

A 3.2L is funner ...
biggrin.gif
RaymondD
I have been checking out all some of these projects. Really incredible stuff going on here. I am seriously impressed with what I have seen. 914's are special cars.
pete000
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Krieger
Do the 3.2! You do not need to twin plug it if you do it right. Someone local to me just dyno tuned his 3.2 he just finished yesterday. 299 hp on pump gas! 10.5:1 compression and 46mm webers. Elgin cams. CP pistons. Really not that wild of a build. Expensive sure.
RaymondD
Here is the first pic of the car I could find.Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
A lot depends on wallet size biggrin.gif

They all cost about the same to rebuild, so many say start with the best core you can find. Likely the 2.4 core will go a fair ways to paying for the core you want.
3.0-3.2 have aluminum cases which is a lot stronger than the 2.0-2.7 mag cases.
Also if you have a healthy budget there's 3.6 new cases going to be available soon from a member here, and he's even talking about new aluminum 2.7 cases, but those may be a couple years off.

3.0 is the borderline for 40mm webers, after that I'd go PMO 46mm.
Aftermarket FI gets spendy fast, the PMO TB's are nice but a few have used motorcycle TB's

So many ways to skin this cat, my advice is to take your time and do a lot of research on your engine options.
Justinp71
welcome.png

It's all about what you want and what you want to spend. There are advantages to motronic and Weber's. Weber's are less fuel efficient and stinky, but make good power and oh the sound and throttle response is incredible. 3.2 is a good size for a 914, about as much power as you can use on the street.

With the crazy prices of flat sixes, the Subaru six or a honda v-6 is another option, but if it already had a porsche six you will save time and money there.

IMHO I would get it running, drive it and go from there.

beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.