Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear window defogger and no relay board
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mark Henry
For my /6 conversion with relay board delete.
Does the factory rear window defogger have a relay?
Or is it just a plug in with a fuse on the board?

Also what size is the fuse?

If it's just a fuse I'll jump it with an in-line fuse. I know it was working.

Thanks beerchug.gif
JeffBowlsby
Both fused and relayed. Check the schematics.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 17 2017, 02:06 PM) *

Both fused and relayed. Check the schematics.

Thanks, adding a relay would be easy enough.
JeffBowlsby
Stock round relay on the stock relay board. Doesn't get simpler than that.
IronHillRestorations
I think per his original post the relay board was deleted.

Mark, there's a 944 rubber boot that fits over the Bosch square mini relays, I'll see if I can find the PN
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Aug 17 2017, 02:53 PM) *

I think per his original post the relay board was deleted.

Mark, there's a 944 rubber boot that fits over the Bosch square mini relays, I'll see if I can find the PN

Yep, 1974 914-6 conversion with webers, MSD, no relay board.
Eventually I"ll have to add a relay to keep the defog, but it's low on the priority list.

Next question, the Black/red wire for the fuel pump, I know that would have triggered a relay, but when I check it (key on) there's no power (or ground) to trigger a relay. confused24.gif

I know I can just take power from the switched power. wink.gif

IronHillRestorations
If the relay board was taken out there won't be anything connected to the fuel pump wire, it gets power via relay on the board.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Aug 17 2017, 09:51 PM) *

If the relay board was taken out there won't be anything connected to the fuel pump wire, it gets power via relay on the board.

I realize that it wouldn't have proper (amps) power, but I know how a relay works, I expected this wire (main harness T13, fuel pump, black/red) to provide one of two ways of switching.

a/ switched power on (ignition key)
b/ switched ground to provide continuity to complete a circuit. If it works this way I know it would have been getting power from the board.

A relay needs two power sources, one would be the external (ignition key) switched circuit which would be low amp power (or continuity) to activate the relay and the other the high amp circuit (pump) switched by the relay.
The wire has to do something. confused24.gif

For now it's no matter, I can get switched power for the pump from the keyed on to the MSD.
In the future I'd like to install a fuel pump relay, that shuts off the pump if the engine quits running but still has power.

Now I just have to get some of my extra gauges working (oil temp,pressure, WB O2 and Cyl head temp), set the timing and then I'm getting damn close to turning a key.
smile.gif
Mark Henry
Just an FYI how I hooked my conversion engine harness into the cars main harness.
You can also see the defog pigtail just above it.
The connectors below it are the blower, correct?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.