Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing Porsche Decal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mike1981
Hello

Hoping to get some advice on removing an older damaged PORSCHE decal
on the bottom of my door and fenders

What type of solvent-heat-scraper would you use?

Thanks for any advice
VegasRacer
Click to view attachment
jim_hoyland
If Goof Off doesn't work out; talk to a window tinting shop. They may steam it off. I had considered doing this too.
burton73
To get it started try a hair dryer not a high temp heat gun. 150 degrees not 212 degrees or more. Never a scraper inn less it is a softer polyethene If you have a paint job you want to keep.
Is the decal clear with white printed on?
Getting the residual glue off with the Goof Off is good after you get he film off.
Slow going on it. Take you time.

Bob B

Ed_Turbo
Use a heat gun and just warm it up. You can get the corner with your fingers and slowly peell it off. Careful when you rub out the adhesive. If you rub it hard enough (even with a terry towel) you can end up with fine scratches. A good way to prevent that is use a rubber razor blade and gently rub it out. Takes time so good luck.
porschetub
Yep careful use of a heatgun and an orange or lemon based citrus cleaner will do a good job.
Mike1981
Thanks for the Advice everyone

I will pick up some goof off
Mike1981
QUOTE(burton73 @ Aug 17 2017, 11:44 PM) *

To get it started try a hair dryer not a high temp heat gun. 150 degrees not 212 degrees or more. Never a scraper inn less it is a softer polyethene If you have a paint job you want to keep.
Is the decal clear with white printed on?
Getting the residual glue off with the Goof Off is good after you get he film off.
Slow going on it. Take you time.

Bob B

Hello Bob

Yes it appears to be clear with white Porsche lettering across it

It is checked and part of it has peeled off

I will apply heat from hair drier and goof off

Thanks
76-914
I don't know about the Porsche decal but I tried Goof Off on a work van that I retired. DID NOT work worth a stromberg.gif . Heat gun is the way to go. Unless your blind you won't hurt the paint. HF has a digital one for < $20 with multiple heat levels. beerchug.gif
burton73
Clear material is most likely Mylar and it is impervious to almost solvents and that is why you have to get it off and then you can remove the adhesive that may still be on the paint. Not too hot to damage the paint as a high heat gun is a way to remove paint. Low heat will soften the adhesive.

That is the idea.

Bob B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.