Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wow a Mustang Cobra driver Bragging
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tony
smilie_pokal.gif Wow I talking to a lighting owner and he told me about racing with his friend on a track down in SoCal.
His freind owns a new Mustang Cobra and he was bragging about keeping up a 914 in the corners.
I was thinking to myself, WOW a thirty year old car can keep up with a new Cobra in the corners.
9146R
Several years ago went to a Russell Racing School at Sears (Infuneon) - a 1 day (bring your own car) class. A guy in my group had a 1999 355 Ferrari -. Anyway, late in the day the instructors let me and him run the track alone for about 20 minutes (he had an instructor with him). I was more than glued to his rear bumper in the turns and stayed fairly close on the faster portions of the track...when we finished one of the instructors came over and told me they were all chuckling at how a 30 year old car was completely humiliating the $100K Ferrari. Great road course if you get a chance to take your car on it !
John
What,

Wouldn't the cobra get out of the way?

(or the Ferrari for that matter)

It sucks sometimes to only have half the horsepower of some of those cars...
phantom914
QUOTE (JOHNMAN @ May 18 2005, 11:57 AM)
What,

Wouldn't the cobra get out of the way?

(or the Ferrari for that matter)

It sucks sometimes to only have half the horsepower of some of those cars...

No, it would be great to have as much as half the horsepower they do. smile.gif

Andrew
nebreitling
given the sloppy (especially rear) suspension that 'stangs are known for, it's surprising he was able to hang in the corners. maybe the newer mustangs have resolved some of that...
balljoint
QUOTE (nebreitling @ May 18 2005, 04:10 PM)
given the sloppy (especially rear) suspension that 'stangs are known for, it's surprising he was able to hang in the corners. maybe the newer mustangs have resolved some of that...

I think even the brand new Mustang is still using the same solid rear axle. Something about power transfer in a muscle car. Don't know about suspension though.
lapuwali
QUOTE (nebreitling @ May 18 2005, 12:10 PM)

The Cobras are supposed to have independent rear suspension (finally). The owner may have tweaked it substantially, too.

There are few things in life more frustrating than getting stuck behind someone with 2-3x the power and 1/3 of the ability. I got stuck most of the way up Hwy 1 many moons ago, behind some guy in a 911 with a huge rear wing. I was glued to his bumper all through the turns, and on anything like a straight he'd pull out enough that I it took 2-3 turns in the next twisty section before I was glued to his bumper again. The really sad thing for that guy is I wasn't driving something quick like a 914. I was driving a bone-stock Dodge Colt with all-season tires on it...

These days, the main reason I want to go with something like a 165hp Subaru engine in my 914 is to allow me to squirt around the 200hp Camrys that infest the local fun roads on weekends. With only 80hp, it's hard to force the issue, and you can only pass if they let you by (which they rarely do).
mudfoot76
QUOTE (nebreitling @ May 18 2005, 03:10 PM)

Nope, and I've seen this firsthand. At my last DE event, someone brought their brand new Mustang (V-6) out to Putnam. Through some of the higher-speed corners, this car would nearly lift the inside rear wheel off the ground. I know b/c I was stuck behind him for almost an entire session. He'd surely pull away from me between turns 10 and 1, but I'd be right on his bumper after turn 1 until we got around to the straight again...

Lifting the inside rear wheel!? I was stunned...
dflesburg
Since I own both a 2003 Mustang Cobra and a 1974 914 I will chime in.

Yes the new cobra has IRS and yes it handles pretty damn good for having 75% of its 3800 pound ass in the the front. I doubt that my cobra could run with Johnman's 914-6 conversion in the corners or mine when I get it done for that matter. I will say that it would eat a 4 cylinder 914 with stock wheels for lunch.

However, since I added about $1800 in bolt on parts to my Cobra, it dyno'd at 551 rwhp.

I am running 285/40 17 Kuhmo Esxta tires and rolling along at 30mph I can light up the rear tires. From a stop I can get huge smoke clouds at a stop light. I can get spinning in the first three gears and run an 11.2 quarter mile.

I am planning on taking that car to Putnam Park this fall with the Wheel Source Group. Feel free to come on out... Should be a good time for all...

I love both cars but they are very different...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.