Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Powdercoating Fan and Steel pulley Wheel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914_teener
Getting ready to send parts out to the powdercoater.

Finally found a decent fan....thanks Kevin, no broken fins.

Question:

Would you ever need to separate the steel pulley from the aluminum impeller?

I know it needs to be dynamically balanced and it already has a small weight pinched on the rim of the pulley.

Is it worth splitting the steel pulley from the aluminum impeller and masking the threads that sandwich them together?

McMark
I've painted a bunch of them. And it's satisfying to media blast the whole thing, tape off the aluminum sections and paint the 'pulley' section black. They look great when they're all done.
And then when it's all done you install the engine in the car and you can't see the fan at all. And I always feel a bit dry.gif at all the effort spent on something completely invisible.

I still do it, cause it's not that hard. But disassembling the fan and powdercoating and reassembling and rebalancing. That's well beyond what even I would invest in an invisible part.

Save yourself some time and headache.
reharvey
QUOTE(914_teener @ Aug 20 2017, 02:18 PM) *

Getting ready to send parts out to the powdercoater.

Finally found a decent fan....thanks Kevin, no broken fins.

Question:

Would you ever need to separate the steel pulley from the aluminum impeller?

I know it needs to be dynamically balanced and it already has a small weight pinched on the rim of the pulley.

Is it worth splitting the steel pulley from the aluminum impeller and masking the threads that sandwich them together?

The best fan is one that has never been taken apart. You've got a good fan so leave it alone and just install it. Nobody is EVER going to see it!
Mark Henry
agree.gif you can't see it.

Degrease and/or blast it clean without taking it apart, mask and paint the steel as best you can. I use Nason two stage black on parts like this. Red paint to do the marks and call it done.

Also I don't care for PC on pulleys, as it's doesn't wear off where the belt runs and causes a lot of belt slip. Not a huge issue on a T4, but me no likey on T1 and /6.
914_teener
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 20 2017, 01:11 PM) *

agree.gif you can't see it.

Degrease and/or blast it clean without taking it apart, mask and paint the steel as best you can. I use Nason two stage black on parts like this. Red paint to do the marks and call it done.

Also I don't care for PC on pulleys, as it's doesn't wear off where the belt runs and causes a lot of belt slip. Not a huge issue on a T4, but me no likey on T1 and /6.

Thanks Mark(s).

Media blast it is.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.