Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Line Replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DaveO90s4
Hi all, as a preventative measure I've decided to replace the plastic fuel lines in '75 914. I'm running carbs and a low pressure fuel pump. Plastic lines that came out, 40+ years old, were in good condition.

So I read up the on line literature and it seems stainless is the way to go (e.g. Tangerine's product) but it seems that it is important to fasten stainless lines at regular intervals to prevent work hardening and cracking through vibration.

But I see no information at all about how to actually fasten the length of line that runs through the tunnel, so as to prevent work hardening. It simply does not look practicable to do so.

If the 'old' plastic lines lasted 40+ years I'm tempted to use new plastic lines - provided I can get some of the same OEM quality that are NOT made in China (I am so so over buying f*&^&ing crappy chineses made 'quality junk).

So, unclipped stainless or OEM plastic (remember, low pressure carb'd system).

Thanks

Dave

PS Buying from Tangerine / other US supplier is not an option - the cost to send a few sticks of 8mm tube to Australia is cost prohibitive.

mepstein
Use the clips that held down the origional lines in the tunnel.
porschetub
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 21 2017, 11:25 AM) *

Use the clips that held down the origional lines in the tunnel.

I used plastic hose from a later model VW but you need to fit the correct internal ferals and use proper fuel line clamps NOT screw type ones,I used steel brake pipe ,tank into the tunnel after that plastic onwards.
My setup is low pressure by the way.
Nothing against the SS pipe conversion go for it,you can't go wrong I'am cheap but this VAG plastic hose is really tough,funny cause the stuff I took out was excellent from original (1974)...so really its not new tech running fuel through a piece of plastic.

db9146
The PO had removed the clips in mine and I just recently replaced the lines with Tangerine Racings SS lines.

Can anyone provide a suggestion to anchor them?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.