Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shocks - Koni or an alternate ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gulf908
A while ago I changed the old shocks on my '70 914-6 from the teeth rattlers KYB and ??? to Koni sport yellows and I find these new yellows are too hard even on the soft setting for the around the suburbs driving I usually do
I originally asked my longterm suspension guy for Koni classics as they worked very well on my 2.2 S but he said they were NLA for the 914s.
Does anyone know if the Koni classics were ever made for the 914 and if so what is the correct part numbers F & R ? in case someone has these NOS on a shelf somewhere
Alternately are there any Bilsteins or Boges - I prefer the traditional brands - that correspond to the Koni classics for a light car such as the 914 ?

TIA
Dennis smile.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(gulf908 @ Aug 21 2017, 04:26 PM) *

A while ago I changed the old shocks on my '70 914-6 from the teeth rattlers KYB and ??? to Koni sport yellows and I find these new yellows are too hard even on the soft setting for the around the suburbs driving I usually do
I originally asked my longterm suspension guy for Koni classics as they worked very well on my 2.2 S but he said they were NLA for the 914s.
Does anyone know if the Koni classics were ever made for the 914 and if so what is the correct part numbers F & R ? in case someone has these NOS on a shelf somewhere
Alternately are there any Bilsteins or Boges - I prefer the traditional brands - that correspond to the Koni classics for a light car such as the 914 ?

TIA
Dennis smile.gif

Appears that way,you could sell off your Koni struts to a 911 guy and go to Bilstein yellow all round,ride nice and not to spendy for a good setup.
PlaysWithCars
QUOTE(porschetub @ Aug 20 2017, 10:56 PM) *

Appears that way,you could sell off your Koni struts to a 911 guy and go to Bilstein yellow all round,ride nice and not to spendy for a good setup.

agree.gif
I like the ride and handling of Bilsteins. I used Konis in my stock autocross 914 because on the fast transitions of an autocross the stiff setting of the Konis were a substitute for the stiffer sway bar and springs that I couldn't use in that class. Other than the adjustability to adapt to changes in suspension, or different autocross courses, I'd choose Bilsteins.
914Sixer
Nothing wrong with stock Boge/Sachs shocks for everyday style driving.
mb911
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Aug 21 2017, 04:47 AM) *

Thats what I will be using for my car. Already have the fronts.
porschetub
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 22 2017, 01:14 AM) *

are the rear ones around ?Pelican and Autohaus don't list,didn't check Ebay however,I have the Saches (ZF ) on the front of my car...real happy with them.
mb911
http://www.new-part.com/product/porsche. Had them on a quick Google search key word 914 rear shocks.. Pmb should be able yo get them very easily
porschetub
Front for 911/914/6 (?) Boge type strut are sachs part # 100 631,rear is a part for the 4 or 6 #313 463 ,Porsche number for the rear is 914 333 051 02 ,the sachs ZF website lists them,however who stocks them ?,Porsche is NLA but I would expect that.
Maybe too blind or old but not getting to far,would certainly would help the OP because they are a much more affordable than the Bilsteins which after duty ,exchange rate and of course shipping to Australia would be $$$$$,just guessing cause I live in New Zealand lol-2.gif lol-2.gif
IAA1963
I have installed Koni Classics in my /6. Half a year ago they were available from Porsche Classic.

Click to view attachment
gulf908
thanks IAA

are you happy with these ?
would you have a link please ?
my local Porsche parts guy is a bit blank about Koni shocks sad.gif

TIA
Dennis smile.gif
Sea Dragon 914
Its too bad that they stopped making the Koni Adjustable Reds. There were similar to the Koni Yellows but a little softer. They were a nice balance between a sporty ride that wasn't too harsh. Not sure how many years they were produced and when they went out of production.

QUOTE(gulf908 @ Aug 20 2017, 09:26 PM) *

TIA
Dennis smile.gif

Krieger
If you find a set of reds you could have them rebuilt. PSI at Infineon raceway rebuilds them and many other kinds. You might give them a call and see if they have any ideas.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Krieger @ Aug 23 2017, 01:18 PM) *

If you find a set of reds you could have them rebuilt. PSI at Infineon raceway rebuilds them and many other kinds. You might give them a call and see if they have any ideas.

^ Yep. Looked into that a few years ago. PSI guys very cool, and paid them to dyno my old Koni reds. One was shot, the other one just okay. Made sense to rebuild them.

IIRC, it made more sense to just buy new Bilstein HD dampers, as the rebuild cost more than two new HDs. And then there was the temptation to have my Koni reds converted to be double adjustable. That said, I am discovering that I like Koni damping characteristics better than Bilstein characteristics, so those reds can't be thrown away just yet!
McMark
I install Bilsteins more than anything else.
Sea Dragon 914
That's good to know. I have a set of STi Pinks for my WRX wagon that need to be rebuilt. I'm wondering if it is worth it to rebuild them or just go with KYB GR2's for the car.

My Koni Reds are single adjustable. I wish they were the doubles. sad.gif

QUOTE(Krieger @ Aug 23 2017, 01:18 PM) *

horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 23 2017, 02:41 PM) *

I install Bilsteins more than anything else.

Sport or HD?
struckn
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 21 2017, 05:14 AM) *

agree.gif

I took KYB's off and went with the Boge/Sachs, Like them. One thing to be ready for is when you go from KYB rear Shocks that have the lower spring Saddle build into them you will need a pair of stock lower Spring Saddles as the Boge/Sachs don't come with them. I bought mine from DCAUTO.COM
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.