Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Running Hot and Injector issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LukeD
I just figured out that my #1 injector is not fireing all the time. Will this cause the engine to run hotter than normal? right now my temp gets a tad bit over 210. As far as testing the injector pigtail, can I just use a Standard Multi Meter?

this has just started happening over the last few days. If I unplug the pigtail the engine shows no change if unplug # 2 then engine idle drops.

Thanks for any help.

Luke

Mueller
what FI ????

if D-jet, it could be a bad ground (look for the terminals near the plenum)

if L-jet, could be bad bad ground or bad resistor

LukeD
Sorry 74 2.0

Will this Cause it to run Hotter then Normal?
LukeD
!!UPDATE!!

Checked the grounds, looked good but I took a pair of pliers and squeezed the butt connectors and applied some elec greese. Did the same on the injector pigtail. Had to go to the store so I figured I would take the teener and make sure. While driving out of the drive way there is a slight sputter like before but clears up after the RPM's go up a bit. The car still feels like it is running on 3 cylinders so on the way home from the store I unplug the #1 injector pigtail and the car runs a tad ruffer but not much different.

Stuck/clogged injector? I have a new full set but the ones on there are pretty new anyway. I know how to check it them but does that sound like the prob?

Oh, I also put a DMM on the connection to see what it would read and it just stayed at 0.3V. It's a crappy 10 year old DMM but what should it read on the injector pigtail?

Luke D
scotty914
the pulse the injector get is to fast for a DVM to show it, go to your flaps and buy as noid light, they cost about 5 bucks

as for one part of the orignal question yes this can lean out that cylinder and make it run hotter. i would get a noid light and check it at the plug. or pull the coil wire and pull the injector. put the injector in to a small glass jar and have some one crank the motor, as the motor is cranking look at the spray pattern to see if it is a nice fine cone shape. this a good test to make sure the injector is spraying and is not clogged.

you can even go a step further and do this to all four to see if they spray the same
LukeD
Scott, thanks for the tip on the noid light.

I have never heard of one, can you please explain on how to use it? I am going to drive down and buy one but for $5 bucks I am concerned with the documentation it will come with biggrin.gif
scotty914
it is a light that plugs in place of the injector
basicly you plug it in and crank the motor and look to see if the light flashes, if it does then look at the injector, if it does not the look at the harness and fi stuff
LukeD
Will it fire even with low voltage? Wondering if i should extend the wires into the cockpit and see what it does driving.

Well, i guess I should buy one and RTFM LOL. Instead of asking stupid questions chairfall.gif
scotty914
QUOTE (LukeD @ May 18 2005, 06:50 PM)
Will it fire even with low voltage? Wondering if i should extend the wires into the cockpit and see what it does driving.

well you could do that but i dont think it would do any good, they flash to fast to see if it was skipping but you could see if it is cutting out completely, but then you would only be running on 3 cylinders the whole time

the noid lights are designed to test this exact thing in mind, the will work on almost any injector pulse, if it does not work it is something in the harness
LukeD
Thanks Scott, you have giving me exactly what I need to trouble shoot the problem. I have the injector to replace it if need be.

Once again I am pointed in the right direction and driven half way there by members of this board. LOL

I am forever grateful biggrin.gif

Thanks again

Luke D
LukeD
!!UPDATE!!

Have not located a noid light yet but I continued to trouble shoot. After a bit of reading the #2 injector is the problem not #1. I pulled the Spark plug wire and it had the same results as pulling the injector pigtail so I thought I would see if I had spark at the plug. This is what it looks like. Should it look like this if it is running lean??

Also, the wires at the pigtail are numberes #5 and #27. Can I trace them back and check continuity?

If the injector is firing and I have spark could this mean I have little or no compression on the #2 cyl? Maybe I should locate a babyfood jar before I get to worried about that LOL

Thanks

Luke D
scotty914
that does not look tooooo bad it is either a little rich or sooty from oil

lean is white, black is rich or oil ( oily is another very bad thing ) tan is good
LukeD
Well I found the problem.

I have 60psi on the #2 cylinder.

WTF do I do now?? I will start another thread

headbang.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.