Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My brakes squeek
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MoveQik
My brakes make a very annoying squeek as I am driving. They don't squeek when I apply the brakes, just when I am cruising around. Its pretty embarassing when I am at slow speeds(especially in parking lots) and all I can hear is "squeek squeek squeek" as I roll along. The braks work fine, they just make too much noise when I am NOT using them.

Do any of those "anti-squeek" pads or gels work?
Eric_Shea
Mike,

It sounds like your pad springs may be broken. This happens often. They get rusted and the small rivet holding them together simply fails. These springs force your pads away from the rotor when the brake is not applied. You can use a POP Rivet gun and get them back into shape otherwise a kit for the front calipers (springs and pins) is roughly $45 bucks! ohmy.gif

Speaking of pins... check your pad pins. Your pads are held into your caliper by these pins and they literally slide back and forth on these pins. Corrosion on those pins could be hindering the pads ability to travel back to where they should be. Dan (xboost90??) had an interesting fix for those in his resto thread (if I recall properly). He put them into a drill and used Scotchbrite pads to make them look new. I like to bead blast them and replate them. They can rust and corrode quickly.

Good luck. beerchug.gif

Joe Bob
SOMEBODY makes pads that have wear sensors...they also make furrin" pads that fit our cars that are designed to squawk when getting to the end of life.

Used them once...HATED them.

When putting in new ones...get the anti squeel juice for the back of the pad.
SGB
If you got 'em apart for the pin clean up & spring riviting, you should also clean up the caliper anti-rotation plates- I'm pretty sure those could vibrate sumpin awful if they were'nt sittin right (y'all).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.