Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need info on Bernie Bergmann 3.0L motor Type 4
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Big Len
Anyone have any info on this builder or his 3.0L motor?
Mark Henry
Run Forrest, RUN!

He didn't have a real good rep. I've heard the biz sold and maybe the new owners do a better job.
Been are around since the late 70's, big glossy ads in the mags, hi-performance at the lowest price ...which is always a bad combo.
IMO just step above GEX.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic...asc&start=0

Do a google search you will find more.

BTW if it's a 3.0 with iron cylinders it won't live long term.
SchwarzHorse
GEX - What is bad about GEX ?
porschetub
Funny read of problems with his motors years ago had no idea it was that bad,sounds like another older outfit in Downey, California that did really stromberg.gif work on 911 motors,became known as Miestershafter,remember reading about some really bad dealing and court action.
Hope the OP has something decent,HUGE money just it parts to built a motor this big,things need to be machined right also even more $$$,then how do you keep it cool ????.
Big Len
Thanks Mark.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(SchwarzHorse @ Aug 22 2017, 07:41 PM) *

GEX - What is bad about GEX ?

Nothing, if you want half-assed work that won't last through break-in.

(To be fair, not all of their parts or motors do that, but I believe the odds are about 50/50 per individual part...)

If you get a chance to examine GEX remanufactured parts without having to pay for them, it can be very educational. I looked at a pair of heads in a shop, and one looked like a regular 914 head, while the other looked like they used a two-year-old to do the work on it.

--DD
rhodyguy
BB had beautiful full page color ads in HVW&DB back in the day. Those 'turnkey' engines. What about Mark Stephens? dry.gif
Mark Henry
Like everything in life "you gets what you pays for".
Many look at the bottom line, who's the cheapest and the most HP for the buck. When really you should be looking for the builder with the best rep that you can afford.
Then when you find that guy LISTEN to his advice.

I've found with many builders their HP claims are total bs.gif and with the cheaper builders comes the bigger the load of bs.gif
theer
High HP
Cheap
Reliable

Pick any two.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.