Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.4 Six Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
germaneighter
It's been a long time since I've posted on this site. My '74 is in long term storage mode, waiting for me to retire. A year or so ago I picked-up a 1972 2.4 long block motor at an estate sale for $200. I immediately disassembled the motor to determine if there were any catastrophic issues. (no serious issues seen) It has been disassembled since last year.

My question - will letting the motor set in this condition indefinably cause any issues? I keep it misted with oil and covered.

thanks
porschetub
Should be fine ,my 2.2 was wrapped in shrinkwrap for 17yrs but I turned the flywheel every month or so,put it in my conversion and fired up straight away,but you need to check it over before running,chain tension ,rockers ,valve clearance install chain savers and plenty of gaskets and seals externally etc .
These are a good motor and can make good power,enough for a 914 .
mepstein
You are good.
mountainroads
QUOTE(germaneighter @ Aug 23 2017, 07:46 PM) *

A year or so ago I picked-up a 1972 2.4 long block motor at an estate sale for $200.

I had to read your post 3 times to make sure I was reading correctly. A 1972 2.4 (6) long block for two hundred bucks??? Was this a Corvair motor smile.gif and if not, where can I find one of those??

As others have said - you should be good with periodic misting and turning.

- MR
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.