Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Club Sponsored Tent at the Runoffs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
ChrisFoley
The SCCA Club Racing National Championships are being held at
the Mid Ohio Sports Car Course from September 19 through the 25th. This is the last year that the Runoffs will be held at Mid-Ohio.
Several club members, as well as a number of other 914 guys from across the country, will be driving their 914 race cars in an effort to win a National Championship in their respective classes.
We would like to officially represent the Club at this big, week long event!
We need people to organize and $$ to make this happen.

What we are hoping to have is a tent big enough to work on at least 8 race cars, on the tarmac in the lower paddock, just like the Mazda, Nissan, etc. guys get with their factory support.
This will put us closer to the action, therefore less running around. Our cars will stay cleaner and be easier to work on than being in the upper unpaved paddock.
Being together will help us all be ready for the races so we will put on a good show and get proper notice by the Speed TV camera crews on the track.

Hopefully someone from the Club can step up and organize this so the racers can concentrate on their cars and their racing.
Tasks include: contacting the track to make sure we will have the space we need; finding a tent rental company; having a 914 Club banner to go on the front of the tent; organizing people to provide cooking and gopher services; security; etc.
The total costs may reach or exceed $3000 for everything, so your donations will be much appreciated!

Each race driver gets at least three crew passes, so people helping out will be given free access to the track facility during the week as well as on the race days.
The tentative driver list includes:
E Production- Erik Madsen and Kevin Groot
F Production - Chris Foley, Ed Givler, Tom Burdge, Les Handly, Mark Hotchkiss, Keith Peare, Kyle Dolbow
GT2 - Steve Limbert
As the season progresses I'll be checking for other 914 drivers who are working to qualify for the Championships.

william harris
I suggest that some enterprising member set up a PayPal account to make this happen for our racers. I can't go to Mid-Ohio, but I sure am willing to send some bucks to make our guys know the 914 club banner will be there. Volunteers? burnout.gif Chris, if you will send me the phone number for the track I will call and inquire about arrangements for a tent and locate a local tent rental company, etc. After all the bitchin' today everybody should get off their ass and get behind these guys. smilie_pokal.gif
seanery
I can probably provide the banner.
Brad Roberts
Chris,

I met with a national magazine today that is going to help us get a better price for the tent and help us get sponsors for this "event". I brought it up with them a few weeks back when we chatted about it in the other thread (Eric and I) They have a ton of pull with SCCA and said they would help out in several ways. We actually have a ad coming out with them hitting the stands soon. They are 100% behind me/this club and the racers. They will prove to be a VERY valuable asset to our "cause".

I'll calll soon with more details.

B
scotty914
i will be there if i dont do the wwc06, and i can bring the wcc05 banner just for show

if i do the wcc o6 teri and i will be invading so cal for a week before the portland invasion happens
rick 918-S
ECR is Sept. 16th to the 18th. This sounds like a really cool event. I need to win the lottery!
Brett W
If things work out I will be helping Kevin and anyone else that needs it in the pits. My car won't qualify for the RunOffs.
mistro
I'd like to volunteer my services. My $$ are available too. Not sure if I am geographically desirable but what do you need me to do? Rgds, Michael
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ May 18 2005, 11:23 PM)
Chris,

I met with a national magazine today that is going to help us get a better price for the tent and help us get sponsors for this "event". I brought it up with them a few weeks back when we chatted about it in the other thread (Eric and I) They have a ton of pull with SCCA and said they would help out in several ways. We actually have a ad coming out with them hitting the stands soon. They are 100% behind me/this club and the racers. They will prove to be a VERY valuable asset to our "cause".

I'll calll soon with more details.

B

That sounds awesome Brad! clap.gif
I will be waiting anxiously to hear more. smile.gif
It would be great if Rich B. and/or Ron W. were up for
the trip to Ohio this year too. driving.gif
GaroldShaffer
Not sure if I am make the run offs but I am willing to help anyway I can.
Tom Perso
I need to check with my logistical coordinator and see what's going on around that time. I'm not sure what all I can help with, but if I can show up and do menial tasks, be a parts runner, cook food - whatever, I'll see what I can do.

Tom
Part Pricer

I was actually speaking to the folks at Mid-Ohio yesterday regarding an entirely different matter. However, I got the impression that their "prime" spaces in the lower paddock are spoken-for long in advance. Has anyone inquired to see if getting space for the 914Club Tent in the lower paddock is even a possibility?
william harris
Hey someone needs to be in charge. Let's not go off with multiple people speaking to the track and/or SCCA and have a cluster of confusion and chaos. (thought I'd use the bad thing, huh? lol2.gif ). So, since Brad seems to be dealing with the big boys with pull and $, I will stand down until asked to do otherwise. Yack.gif
Part Pricer
QUOTE (Paul Heery @ May 19 2005, 10:55 AM)
I was actually speaking to the folks at Mid-Ohio yesterday regarding an entirely different matter...

I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes. Just trying to make a suggestion.

william harris
Paul, Brad, Chris, et. al., no one is stepping on anyone's toes. These events have very long lead ins and as Paul has already pointed out, the Track and SCCA have probably already given out of the prime locations to known big players. Paul may very well have the inside tract to someone's ear at Mid Ohio. Brad and the unnamed magazine idea.gif Excellence??? idea.gif may want to pitch their own proposal and they sure know what they have in mind and how much $$$ they are putting up. I am volunteering to do whatever I can to help this project along. For now it looks like Brad is in charge and I just want Chris, Erik and the rest of our racers to know that lots of us are here to help. smilie_pokal.gif Go get em guys. burnout.gif I did serve as Concours Chair for NE PCA and have arranged similiar events in the past. If I am needed just let me know. driving.gif
groot
This is really cool. I'm in... if I can scrounge up enough points. We definitely need a Raby banner, too.
Jake Raby
I have one of those.... Super nice one I might add!

Its getting closer!
Brad Roberts
It's not Excellence.. I have been approached by a Vintage racing magazine (on the stands since 1986) about promoting and pushing the 914 cause. They love the little cars and have noticed the same thing I have noticed (lots of vintage racing going on with 914's) They hold Can Am events.. Vintage Indy car events.. and Vintage Formula1 events all of the world. I *think* they can help us. I'll know more tomorrow morning (Friday) when I meet with them next.

Wait until you see what we have planned for Laguna Seca this year!!

B
Thorshammer
Wicked Pisser., Er ah that means really cool in New England speak.

Heres what I have learned, Nothing!

The two contact names I have are Mary Wier and Bob Khan. This is the ALMS weekend at Mid Ohio and both of them were not available , but I left messages. I will ascertain the availability of the tent space in the paved paddock.

Heres a list of things to do to make this happen.

1. Determine whos in charge. This person would not only coordinate this but attend as well to ensure the op goes as planned.

2. Determine who will be involved and their responsibilities. Crew, Cook, Tent, Blog etc..

3. Will someone set up a Paypal account, to assist in paying for this. This probably needs to be addressed now. Any accountant types should apply right to this post.

For those of you who are still unaware. This could be something really cool. Porsche has forgotten about us except for the cost of the parts. Now, they only supported the 914 for a short time and it won a bunch. We have the chance to make a showing like the Nissan and Mazda factories, and we are a club. This would make a profound impact on 914 owners and the 914 club.

As for us racers. Your help to make this fly would really assist us in putting on a good show. Many of the names Chris Foley listed have potential to finish near the front in a 914. If we play our cards right, this could be a nice article in Excellence or even Pano. Not sure, But I will tell you this, The Runoffs is one helluva experience if you like cars.

Erik Madsen
Thorshammer
This is an excerpt from my other post. William Harris had this idea in another post. I thought I would elaborate. It should be a buttload of fun. See below.

Partial Highjak:Under the idea of involvement

Post Script: For those of you that don't understand what Chris Foley is talking about with his comment about a Runoffs tent. For those of you that don't know. The Runoffs is the end of the year race at Mid Ohio for SCCA competitors, held this year September 19-25, it is an invitation only, week long meet which you must qualify to attend. This year should have a record amount of 914's over 8 at last count. This is tremendous! We are trying to get club members to become involved in a couple ways.

1. The paddock parking at MO sucks, sometimes you are in the mud. Because the event is so large competitors must park in the "upper" paddock which, if it rains becomes mud because it is grass. There is a solution. The main paddock is paved, and if you have enough cars,bring a sizeable (your own) tent, and register for the space, you can have paved paddock space and premier recognition. This is mostly for manufacturers Mazda, Toyota etc.. We (the racers) are asking anyone in the club to be willing to get a tent of appropriate size (cover 8 cars) and be willing to set it up and take it down. As competitors we will have our hands full with the cars and competing. We need your help. And after all these years of the Porsche Factory sticking it to us on parts (the car is 30 plus years old) and the overall lack of support, would'nt it be funny as hell to have a "Factory 914 Club" tent. If I wasn't (but I am) racing , I would love to see this. Really stick it to them if you know what I mean.

2.Food.

During race week, if you are a chef or think you can BBQ like a mad man, and want to lend your support, we don't expect to eat for free, but this is a way someone without mechanical abilities but a desire to be part of the team and could be involved. We aren't expecting no almondine, kipper laced, tarragon basil creation, but something better than track food and hot, brown and plenty of it would be awesome.

3.Blog.

We need a blogger, this would be a PR type that would indicate to the magazines, local PCA etc.. that the 914 club will have a racers tent at the Runoffs. also duties would include blogging at the track, so this person will need an uplink so they can post pictures to the Club as to what everyone is doing and what is taking place. This is very important. This will require a really good digital camera and a press pass, so this person can get some really good action shots for the BBS. The SCCA lists the lap times as the race and qualifying happens in real time. So with Photos and lap times and bloging, this really can be a interactive event, maybe even a live cam looking down inside the tent? I am not sure. But it's an idea. An a way to be involved.

4. Track support. Some of the competitors will be wary of new mechanics working on there cars, but there is plenty of stuff to do if you want to be involved, gas, times, parts, cleaning, tire swaps etc..

5. Klingons, Yes we need some groupies as well, bring one, bring all. Don't forget the Umbrela girls, if you have any of those stashed away, please unstash them and send them to the Runoffs for visual reckoning.

This about covers what we had in mind. This should be an awesome way to be involved. Otherwise you can throw some money at it if you want, but your involvement will be most appreciated.So how about it, anyone got a circus tent laying around (hold the elephant poop and the peanuts). Again sorry for the Highjack.

Erik Madsen
groot
And... we'll need a bouncer, er enforcer. There may be times when a driver needs to focus and will need his/her privacy. Also, if something needs mechanical attention, we'll need to keep the number of helpful hands appropriate to the task.

Just to keep things running well.
william harris
The man in charge has gotta know! Thanks for the agenda Erik, I especially liked the umbrella girls part! lol2.gif So who is the general? Who is the head of the 914 racing skunk works? idea.gif We need our own Huschke! burnout.gif Come on guys, you gotta know who Huschke von Hanstein was! One man Porsche Racing Department in the early days. Hell, I gotta print of Hans Herrmann driving the wheels off a 550 signed by Huschke in my office. smilie_wirdgut.gif
lagunero
waiting on Paypal account smile.gif
guywan914
Chris and fellow 914 racers, I can be counted on for some $$$ but won't be able to be at the runoffs[at least not yet]. This will be awesome for the 914 community whether one races or not!!! smilie_pokal.gif
ChrisFoley
Once we get a hold of the track people and have assurances there will be a location for us to set up we will arrange a paypal account for the donations.
I'd have you send it to me but it would be gone long before the Runoffs. happy11.gif
ChrisFoley
BTW,
If this plan comes together I will definitely be mounting a 914 club windshield banner on the race car for the TV cameras. smile.gif rocking nana.gif
Verruckt
There is no way I could make it out there, but I'd love to help any way I could. I would be willing to donate a webserver to get your info on a site, and to upload pics and results to, etc. Let me know if you'd be interested in that, and who would be the contact person and I can get things setup.
seanery
icon_bump.gif
ChrisFoley
I vote for William Harris being the overall GC for this. It isn't necessary for him to be on-site during the event if he has a First Mate who he can rely on to stay in contact.
This would take some pressure off of Brad who can play a supporting role, coordinating with the magazine, etc.
Now we need someone who will step up and be at the event to make sure everything runs smoothly that week. wavey.gif
grasshopper
i could be the bouncer lol3.gif fighting19.gif . If i can get out of school, and drive up, ill definetly be there. Im in for some $$$
william harris
Thanks for the suggestion Chris. As I've said many times, I will do anything you guys want me to do. Maybe Brad, you and me and the other players can conference next week. We need a clear plan and then to execute it. No way we can go spending other people's money and sponsorship until the deal is done. We don't want to come across to the SCCA and track as amateur hour. In the meanwhile, I will start making calls to Mid-Ohio locations re tent rental, rates, etc. Someone needs to find out exactly where and what we can place in the paddock, if anything. Let me know. type.gif
william harris
icon_bump.gif Damn, this thread is slipping away and no plan of action!!! Come on guys, we can't let this opportunity fade away!!! welder.gif and the racers deserve our support. flag.gif icon_bump.gif
ChrisFoley
Brad said he was going to see the magazine people over the weekend and let us know today. It's still only a little after 6am their time.
William, you should leave a message on Brad's cell phone.
After that you may be able to call the track. Erik M. posted names of appropriate contact people there, in an earlier post.
william harris
Brad, please call me at 978 921-2929 or PM to let me know what I can do to assist in organizing this event. wavey.gif
william harris
OK, here's the deal on a tent rental. Remember we are talking about a one week event. Tent sizes are generally 20x20 or 40x40. A 20x20 (one tent) runs about $120 per day. If you want 4 20x20s that would be 4 x120 per day. A 40x40 runs $400 to $500 per day depending on the tent type, etc. So, the tent rental alone could run $2,500 to $3,500 per the week. So, the Vintage Magazine maybe better let us know about a budget or we are just dreaming. Vintage Magazine? Are they saying we are Vintage? confused24.gif I that a gentle way of saying we are old and obsolete? lol2.gif
ChrisFoley
icon_bump.gif
Still no news from Brad whether his contacts are serious about this effort.
No response from Mid-Ohio AFAIK.

I have contacts with a couple of Manchester CT rental companies. Maybe we can get a good deal on a tent if we want to haul it and set it up ourselves but it won't be 40x40, that's for sure. Considering the rental prices William found maybe we should buy our own large tent instead.
The Mid-Ohio approvals have to be first though; Erik, do you have anything to report? Should we have William hound them instead of you diverting your attention from prepping your car?

I hope this isn't dead in the water already. unsure.gif
william harris
Bradley, be a dear and see what the peasants want. happy11.gif
william harris
Good Morning Kalifornia. If you don't help our 914 racers, Arnold says you are a girlie-man lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif Racer Chris welder.gif - maybe we better plan on buying that tent. Ask Thorshammer to let me know about the best contact source at Mid-Ohio and I will make calls today. type.gif
william harris
What the hell is going on here? All week no one has stepped up to the plate to help our racers!!! This is real bs.gif I have gone ahead and contacted Mid-Ohio to find out about space for a tent. Racer Chris, Thors Hammer and the rest of the racers must think we are a bunch of computer jockies, while they are the real deal. burnout.gif Like any club, 95 percent of the members bitch about stuff, and 5 percent (or less) of the members do all the work. happy11.gif
Thorshammer
I did get a call back today from mid ohio, They will be checking to see what space there is left, I did not write the names down but they are on my answering machine. I will get them to you william.

As for this thread, ADMIN, may we please be nailed. Thanks!

Erik Madsen
rick 918-S
icon_bump.gif This is a real interesting and worth while event with real club members and real 914 club exposure.

idea.gif I would think this would have been part of the clubs reason for exsisting.

Let's all get behind this. rocking nana.gif aktion035.gif driving.gif driving-girl.gif

There are some real cocky car guy's out there that need a lesson in humility! dry.gif unsure.gif sad.gif

happy11.gif lol2.gif
william harris
Erik: good to hear Mid-Ohio called back. The guy I have been trying to reach is Bill (not Bob) Khan. His number is 419 884-4000 ex 3034. I don't want to pester them with multiple calls, so unless you tell me otherwise I will let you call him back. You can reach me in my office today at 978 921-2929. Thanks, William Harris driving.gif
SirAndy
guys, brad has been kind of unobtainium since he moved to San Diego last monday ...

i'll try to get him on the phone today and see where he's at with the "magazine support" ...

if that doesn't pan out, we'll have to bootstrap it ourselves!
smash.gif Andy
william harris
bootstraps, masking tape and bailing wire - ain't that what holds most 914s together anyway??? lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif
rick 918-S
Cool the tent thread got nailed! Ooooh good start!
william harris
Rick, we should get all over this like we did when we held the Brad Bailathon!!! lol2.gif I know one day we held the bail fund thread down for about 12 hours combined. Come On guys, these are guys RACING 914s!!! Does it get any better than that. aktion035.gif mueba.gif monkeydance.gif pray.gif driving.gif welder.gif burnout.gif
william harris
Erik, Chris and the other Racers: I have calls in to Adam Fisher at Mid Ohio re space in the paddock. I will post here when I know more - just rest assured this is being attended to. biggrin.gif
ChrisFoley
I have good news regarding tents. smile.gif
The rental company near my shop will rent to me very cheap. It just means we have to erect them ourselves.
I think I can get a 20x20 for $200 for the entire time, and a 20x40 for $400. If I'm wrong it would be double that, but its still way cheaper than what William found from companies local to Mid-Ohio.
Additionally the same company has a 20x20 frame style tent with no interior poles that they want to sell for $350. Tents like that sell for a couple grand.

One thing we have to check out with the Mid-Ohio people is regarding tent stakes/tie-downs. I'm guessing that no stakes can be driven into the asphalt, so lots of concrete blocks or something else heavy will be in order.
lagunero
maybe I missed it but is there an account set up yet? Brad's avatar says 914 GOD, so let's pray he gets back to you guys lol2.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Racer Chris @ May 27 2005, 03:51 PM)
I have good news regarding tents. smile.gif

hey chris, just talked to brad. he said he'll give you a call ...

wink.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.