Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - got a ride in a 1 year old 911 Twin Turbo
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim912928
One of my midwest porsche buddies has a couple of tail draggers...he asked if I wanted a ride in his new (to him...1 year old twin turbo with 4k miles) twin turbo. Of course I said yes. The only mods on this car are a tweaked out header system and a performance chip to change when the turbo's kick. All I can say is holy crap. After warming it up he jumped on a 4 lane divided highway and said hold on...every gear he hit I was plastered into the seat back...we were at 125 in a blink of the eye. This car is a beast. I got to drive a friends new 2005 Carrera S and thought that was fast...no comparison. The stock 911 was like my grandmothers car compared to this twin turbo.

I want one of those engines in my 914!
Eric Taylor
Man your a lucky. I got to rid in a 1999 carrera and that was a blast. Thought I shit myself at least twice during the ride. It's so fun to think your going to die and the be brought back from the cript.
Eric
djm914-6
and the 911 guys still bitch about the 996. I'd give my left arm for a 996, never mind twin Turbo.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (djm914-6 @ May 19 2005, 08:12 AM)
and the 911 guys still bitch about the 996. I'd give my left arm for a 996, never mind twin Turbo.

agree.gif except the left arm is needed, because I wouldn't have an automatic 911... I'd give my left nut though... it's barely been used anyway cool_shades.gif
ppickerell
I test drove TT's and a GT3 before "settling" on a new C4S. I just knew that me and a TT would mean trouble in the form of tickets, etc. Very happy with the C4S. Same brakes, suspension, AWD and chassis as the TT and still plenty of gitup.
Tom Perso
Wayne, you crack my ass up. Well, I'd probably give my left nut too... huh.gif

When's that damned car of yours going to drive? LOL

Don't make me come down there and take my motor back!

aktion035.gif happy11.gif happy11.gif

Tom
tat2dphreak
it would be a lot sooner if I would quit doing all of these "while I'm in there" projects... I plan to drive it on GPs before doing the shocks and after I finish the floor pan/welding I have to do... I hope to finish the floor pan this weekend, and rent a welder next week for a few days to do that stuff (WHEN I get my seat hinge brackets) if I'd have been smart I would have put off the floor pan until winter and be driving it now... but NOOO!! I have to try and do things RIGHT headbang.gif I should have stuck with complacentcy

but it will be ready for MUSR... if I have to have a 914 BBQ and invite all the TX folks into my 1-car garage! cool.gif

come down for MUSR, I'll let you drive it on the track! driving.gif
Tom Perso
 I should have stuck with complacentcy  

No, you did the right thing. I hate seeing things done half-assed. You'll be happier in the end when you're not saying "Man, I wish I would have done that..."

MUSR sounds fun. It'd be even better if I could DRIVE my car down there, and then run on the track.

I'd let you take the 2270 out for a spin and let you see what you're missing... wub.gif

Tom
tat2dphreak
I'm sure... the 2270 just sounds like a blast!

no, I know... I want things done right... but I also want to drive it!! biggrin.gif
Jake Raby
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ May 19 2005, 08:11 AM)
I'm sure... the 2270 just sounds like a blast!

no, I know... I want things done right... but I also want to drive it!! biggrin.gif

I drive mine daily... 5500 miles on the Hybrid since March 3rd... Heads run cooler than stock and its averaging 28 MPG while making 170 HP
1bad914
Tom P. don't make me come over and take my car back, your 2270 has been on the road less than his left nut has been used! biggrin.gif Leave tat alone, you have nothing to say! But then again neither do I! screwy.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (1bad914 @ May 19 2005, 01:18 PM)
Tom P. don't make me come over and take my car back, your 2270 has been on the road less than his left nut has been used! biggrin.gif Leave tat alone, you have nothing to say! But then again neither do I! screwy.gif

Thanks Randy... I just sprayed potato Salad all over my monitor!

Jake believe me, I hit the lotto, you're the first (non-related) person I'm calling!! until then Randy's 2056 will be good 'nuff... it will HAVE to be, my wife won't let me buy another engine yet wink.gif
TimT
In 2002 I had a student who had a brand new 2002 996 twin turbo. He had never driven the car at the track, so as is custom, I drove the first 3-4 laps to show him the line, the flag stations etc.

I wasnt even pushing the car, and I was seeing higher top speeds on the straight than if I THRASH my car to the limit.!! The 996TT is just awesome. I had to back out of the gas because I didnt want the student getting the speed I was attaining . The car was so easy to drive, and went really fast at LRP without even pushing it.

The student even asked me to drive the car in the instructors run group with him riding shotgun.. He asked me to push the car. But I declined.. I couldnt afford to buy it if I balled it up, or any other high dollar repairs..
Twins are fast, but try doing it in a GT2 and things will get
real interesting.

But then, I guess we have to ask Mueller about that. cool.gif

I'm glad you enjoy the ride.
Mueller
QUOTE (0396 @ May 19 2005, 06:21 PM)
Twins are fast, but try doing it in a GT2 and things will get
real interesting.

But then, I guess we have to ask Mueller about that. cool.gif

I'm glad you enjoy the ride.

who me??? smile.gif

yea, it's simply amazing how they get so much torque out of the GT2 engine, i think my neck is still hurting from trying to sit up in the seat when you hit the pedal pray.gif

I was behind a new M5 yesterday....V10 engine, 500 hp normally asperated screwy.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.