Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nine Fourteen Sex
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
914 Ranch
Hey Mark, I'm putting heat shrink on everything.
914 Ranch
Pulled the dash apart to expose the next to the last of the wires need attention. The last wires will be the ones in the front trunk, the headlights and the turn signals.

Click to view attachment

Going to order some new gauges for her in the morning.
914 Ranch
i really want to clean her but in a few days I'm just going to do some more sanding and she will just wind up just like she is again. Oh and yes, the LN-1 is coming out. For the life on me I could not remember what I had done to hold the dash face to the top of the dash. Duck tape, I had put the dash in place, marked it, turned it up-side down and taped the face to the dash top, the inside corners of the dash were held in by the dash top and the door panel. The dash top was held down by the mirrors. The interior looked incomplete until I made up the inside corners and put them in.
914 Ranch
OK. Here we go again. Now that I have the dash apart I think it is time to do some other stuff that I was thinking about. Like the seat and the targa bar. For a while now I have been thinking about a cold air intake for Carerror. But I am getting ahead of myself.
l would like to thank this board for all the input that you guys have given me. Pushed me Right out of my comfort zone and brought out more creativity than I knew that I had in me.

Click to view attachment
Making a cold air intake makes the rear view mirrors useless. The mirrors hold the dash in place. i need to make up some sort of bracket to move the mirrors out word. something swopy I hope.

Click to view attachment

sixnotfour
maybe smaller and add fans beer.gif
914 Ranch
More cold air to the engine gotta be a good thing.
914 Ranch
So the other day I was checking out some you-tube stuff about F1. I saw a vid about the differences between Hamilton's 18 and 19 rides. One of the things they pointed out was the point at the top of the roll hoop that they pick up broken cars with. use to be like a cross, Now it is in the shape of a teardrop with yellow caution lights on it that tells everyone do not touch the car as the car is charged.
I'd like to thank Scott for the inspiration about the front wing and for being correct about the targa bar fairing.

Patterns.
Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
Got a lot done today, just about ready to install the switches. All the wires except the dash are in heat shrink. Whats left is the lights on the dash, Tach, Idiot lights, Oil pressure gauge, Oil temp gauge, high beam and the turn signal indicators and the shift light.

Click to view attachment

All that extra lights and stuff not needed for a sub 1600 pound A/X ax is there so when I get busted for driving her on the streets I'll at least be legal.
falcor75
Do you really need the cold air intake to stick out on the side of the car?
I'm guessing you wont run a rear windscreen so why not just put the scoop between the seats under or above the targa bar?
914 Ranch
Yeah Mat, I probable don't need cold air intake. Just like I don't need stuffed peanut butter cookies either. But there awsom and I can build them.

Click to view attachment

So I probably will.
Jetsetsurfshop
I agree with Matt.

With that said I'd love to see what you plan on for the side intakes. piratenanner.gif

Cool build
914 Ranch
This morning I got all the wires located, I know where all the wires go. Didn't know that when I put the box together. I have 2 more batches to heat shrink and a few more wires to cover. I'm doing the trouble shooting in the front trunk. I usually install every thing into the car and then do the trouble shooting. This should go much quicker.

Click to view attachment

I will really be glad to be done with this. It has been a lot of work.

914 Ranch
Gotta change out that fuel tank. The other one is much more cool looking.
914 Ranch
Found a bad relay. Order a new one but won't be here till Friday. Still have plenty to do. Wash Carerror. Change the fuel tank and lines. Funny that I don't use methanol fuel except in the cars, I keep the boat full with none meth and fill the tools and toys from it. Still the fuel lines in Carerror have gotten hard in just 2 years. I guess when we switch over to electrons Methanol will go away.
914 Ranch
Got the last of the heat shrink done, some small things to take care of. Still have to reassemble the dash. But pretty much the wiring loom is complete.
914 Ranch
So I totally forgot about the fit of the small fuel tank with the E-Box. It is going to work.

Click to view attachment

I liked this tank from the moment I saw it. First saw it at a boat show in LA, knew it was perfect for an Auto Cross car. Used in Drag Boat racing and made in So Cal. Holds 1.5 galons, about enough for 5 minutes of fast driving. Perfect for tag teaming the car. You get 4 laps and come in and refuel the car while the next driver takes care of tire temp and pressure.
914 Ranch
A little more progress today. Installed the fuel tank and switches and put the dash cover and the gauges back in. Still have about 4 single wires to heat shrink left.
Some more pictures.

Click to view attachment

and
Click to view attachment

Really looking good which helps me to do more.
Thanks for watching.
euro911
thumb3d.gif
Jetsetsurfshop
What engine are you running?
Wondering what your HP to weight is.
Awesome project beer.gif
914 Ranch
Hey Shane, she is running a 78 3.0 with carbs. Probably less than 200HP and the weight is around 1600 pounds.
914 Ranch
Got a little more done today, cleaned some, put the dash back together and installed the mirrors. Still have to hook up the tach and indicator lights. Running the dash lights when the key is on.
Picture of the day.

Click to view attachment

Thats better…
914 Ranch
Both of the windscreens are broken so this is a good time to replace them. I ordered them yesterday and when they arrive I'll post pictures of the installation. I was a little rough installing them the first time but this time I have a better handle on what I want and better tooling to make it happen.
Mark was correct as far as a plan goes I usually don't have one, when I decided to put a front wing on, I had no idea where I was going with it. And I stated that on, "What did you do to your 914 today?" thread. I said, "I'm winging it" long before I got the inspiration to put it 2" from the ground. I knew that I wanted something to change a condition of the handling of the car and my first thought was to add weight to the front of the car. When I was doing the dash my goal was to cover the ugly ness of the cowling. I may not have a complete vision of my end goal but my execution is excellent.
I wish I could weld. welder.gif
yeahmag
When are you changing out the stock front camber plates?
914 Ranch
After I sell the house in Huntington Beach. That and rebuild the motor and a Sheridan body. But, just like you, it's only a matter of money.
One weekend in El Toro I took off a link to the sway bars (f and r) and the car was tail happy. Hooked up the rear, went back out and the rear was planted. Still had some push , but I was out of time.
Before that I had been running 911 T bars, they were too stiff. Went back to the 914-4 T bars. Now I want to get rid of the vented brakes also. Brakes don't get hot so I could lose some weight there.
914 Ranch
Finally got to do some cleaning. Getting the box finished and almost ready to tie it down. Looking much better than it did as rainbow spaghetti.

Click to view attachment

The tach and indicator lights still need to be hooked up and the front lights still need to be done.
914 Ranch
First of all I would like to thank all y'all for stopping by and fallowing my build. I am surprised at the number of people viewing here. Currently I am working on my divorce which is consuming me. Yesterday I opened the garage door and looked inside, yep Carerror is still waiting for me. I am currently waiting on a relay and new windscreens. But today I hope to finish with the totals of my expenditures from 1/17 to present.
Building a wing is much more fun then FALCON TOTALS. In a few more days I will be done with this shit and go back to my vehicle fantasy.

Click to view attachment

I can't wait to turn a wrench…
euro911
I put all the invoices and receipts for our house remodel work in a folder, and in Quicken ... and was pleased when it was all tabulated.

I'm also keeping a running tab on the trailer conversion. Still have a little ways to go, but the budget is looking good so far.

I'll have to do do some backtracking when it comes time to add-up the cost for 'HOWARD's build, as I've been purchasing items for that restoration since 2007 blink.gif

Good luck on the big 'D' stuff ... and make sure to let me know when you plan to visit So Cal ... maybe we can squeeze in a trip to Slater's while you're in town confused24.gif

https://slaters5050.com/
stownsen914
Sorry about the d ... sorry to say I know how that goes ...
914 Ranch
Thanks guys. Should be over in July but I'm sure they will find another way to delay it again. So far it has cost 3 times as much as it should have and taken 7 times the time. mad.gif

I wanna get back to work on Carerror. Oh it's 4:20.
euro911
CRAP ... I'll probably be in AZ in July dry.gif
914 Ranch
I am so burnt out on paper, I wanna do something constructive. Like 2 more layer's of fiberglass on the front wing. Get the Falcon hardware and bolt this thing together. Finish the loom and do some trouble shooting and hear Carerror purr...
If everything goes well I will be there today or tomorrow. I kant weight two get back too entertaining al'y'al. biggrin.gif
914 Ranch
piratenanner.gif It has been sent. I have put the paper work behind me. piratenanner.gif I get to go back out to the GARAGE... Probably going to have a nice dinner tonight.
sixnotfour
rugged ,,hoping the fairest for you..btdt...
914 Ranch
Finally back in the groove. Got 2 more layer's of fiberglass on and doing some work in the electrical box, adding another relay to spread out the load.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I added 2 new relays to the board.
It feels so good to be doing something besides paper work
euro911
Every morning, I do one sit-up, one deep-knee bend, then the dreaded paperwork rolleyes.gif
Carl La Fong
You need to use one of these and not worry about paper work so much. av-943.gif
euro911

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=/NPsaBuBGH3E
914 Ranch
Ordered the hardware today, lots of screws. All flat head and 2 quick release pins for the pivot. Still need to get the springs and cable.
914 Ranch
Got some real progress today, something I can atculay show you. I got lights on the dash.

Click to view attachment

I got the idiot lights, Tach lights, tells me I left the key on and shift light. The fuel pump is running but you can't hear that.
914 Ranch
So today I got the wing mounted to check out the new quick release hinge pins, not the ones I wanted but let me know which ones I want. Also fitting one of the new windscreens.

Click to view attachment

Really like the quick release pins, only takes a minute to take the wing on or off. Now I need to finish the spring returne cable.
euro911
You could deliver pizza now ... how many large pizzas will fit on that wing? poke.gif
914 Ranch
Well I got both windscreens fitted and they look great. I used a different bead on them this time and I like it much better.

Click to view attachment

I think I see checkered flags in my future.
2mAn
what an exciting build! Very much enjoying the process...

question: The front wing supports, are those bolted to the front shock towers at all, or just the body?
Jetsetsurfshop
I'd like to see a pic standing back from the car with that front wing.
Love the build!
first.gif
914 Ranch
A lot of people have shown a grate interest in what I am doing here. I'm very free with the information about the build. I will gladly make templets and send them to anyone that wants them. All of this hanging from the body in 2 directions of shear. 1 in the light buckets and the other form the front bumper brackets. I don't think that the total weight with down force will be over 80 pounds and even if the ground force gets doubled it should still be under 140 pounds on the front of the car. I sincerely believe that the wing and the brackets would fit inside the headlight buckets and still have the headlights go up and down.
If I ever get her done I will go racing with the PCA autocross in Melborne at The Muscel Car Musuem.
Thanks to those of you who are enthused about my build as it helps to keep me on track.
As soon as I can get the car out of the garage I will take some pictures.
914 Ranch
I have been having a delima about the windscreens. Both of the old ones cracked at the first screw hole. I used flathead screws and counter sunk them. Bumped each one getting out of the car. So I don't want to use screws, I have decided to go with Butyl tape and just ordered some but before I ordered it I went out to the shop and put together a test piece. I like it, it grabs really good and no holes to start a crack.

Click to view attachment

The test piece is a piece of aluminum with a section of the bead glued to it. I think it's going to work well and look much cleaner with no holes, or shallow spots from being screwed down.
914 Ranch
Got the windscreens glued down today.

Click to view attachment

I really like it without the screws. If this works I will only have to take off 4 nuts at the bottom of the mirrors to take the dash apart.
914 Ranch
OK, back to the wing. Taking the front bumper off to do some of the hardware. I'm screwing around. Everything gets screwed. And we get to see Carreror naked. So here's the brackers and how they mount. Doing the final fitting the wheel is about 2" off the pavement and supported by the bracket. Nice, I really like it.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Next picture is of the detail of the pivot.

Click to view attachment

All that gets screwed together with counter sunk screws.
euro911
Joe, I'm a little concerned with the lateral strength of the lower arms (below the pivot points) from side-load forces as well as the shear strength of the pivot fasteners. Mainly due to the amount of mass of the wing assembly and anticipated wind load.

Being on the front of the vehicle, the structure will experience more severe left & right side load fatigue than a rear mounted wing that has less side load travel.

Take it easy on your maiden run and evaluate flexion exerted on the lower arms. You 'might' need to double up the width on the lower arms, and increase the diameter of the pivot pins unsure.gif

Click to view attachment

Other than that ... it's an awesome project aktion035.gif
914 Ranch
I really don't believe that the 3/8" stainless steel quick release pin is going to have an anomaly from being pulled apart by the aluminum pivot point. Also the bracket from the wing pivot to the end plate of the wing is less than 8" and will be fastened together at that point. The total weight of the wing itself is 14.6 pounds and is located 36" from the front tires and 9' from the center of gravity. The front tires are going to cause most of the lateral forces on the wing but not much more than 45 foot pounds of inertia which is split between the 2 brackets.
Now I am not an engineer and Mark is but I did stay at a Motel 6 last night to wirite this. As I said in the beginning of this that "I am winging it" and that "If I knew what I was doing I probably would not have started this in the first place."
Come on Mark, get into the spirit of this build lets go look for an anomaly. I am worried about oscillation of the rear wing though as it's upright is going to be about 16" tall and will probably have to be made more substantial.
I really believe that I will cause body damage to the car before the wing has a real problem.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.