Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nine Fourteen Sex
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
euro911
laugh.gif

I'm all for it, Joe ... just want to make sure you don't poke your eye out in the process poke.gif

I wished you were still in So Cal, or at least closer than FL ... really miss hanging out in your garage.

Carry on ... sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif
914 Ranch
No sweat buddy, I have to go out there in September and I will probably be there for a week. I think I'll be driving and I like 40 so where are you going to be in mid September?
euro911
In AZ through the end of July. I'll be back in CA way before September.

Slaters 50/50 aktion035.gif
914 Ranch
That's halfway, I'll be staying 2 blocks from the Ortega highway in San Juan Capistrano.
914 Ranch
Back to screwing around. I screwed the pivot arm to the backing plate and wing through the backing plate. Still waiting for the 3/8" x 24 flathead screws for the wheel axel. I want everything to be counter sunk.

Click to view attachment

Scewing the pivot arm to the back plate I counter sunk them on the backside of the plate to avoid taking more material out of the arm and possible making a weak spot.

Click to view attachment

Would you believe it, I'm 71 today…
sixnotfour
birthday3.gif beer3.gif and single cheer.gif
euro911
Happy Birthday, Joe beerchug.gif
914 Ranch
More of the same today. Got the hardware on the left side of the wing screwed in.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The wing is now holding itself up without the brackets being screwed to the body.
914 Ranch
I haven't had much time for Carerror lately. I did some stuff on the wing yesterday and today. Finding the length for the of the wire that will pull the wing back down when it gets bumped up.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This is only the mock up to get the correct length of the wire and will be replaced with wire rope.
euro911
biggrin.gif
914 Ranch
Still working on the lenght of the wire for the return spring. Haven't been out in the garage much lately except to feed the kittens that invaded my shop about 2 weeks ago. I guess it's more comfertable than the rest of the world. There are feral and I now have a cat box and cat food and water in the shop. I went out to take a pic of the new spring and wire and the cats posied for me instead of doing their normal thing of running off and hiding.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Haven't tried to handle them yet but there are not as afraid of me now. I just needed to post something on here cause I am totally guilt tripping about not keeping up with my viewers, almost 10,000 now.
euro911
At least the kitties will help to keep mice from building nests in all the nooks & crannies shades.gif
914 Ranch
Well I finally got the length worked out for the pull cable. So you get some pics of the minuscule amount of progress that I have made. Whis this was the only thing that I have giong on. Getting about 100 viewers a day I feel like I should be showing more progress for you guys.
Pictures of the wire and spring at static and with a 9" block under the wing so the spring is at full stretch.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I don't think that the wing will ever get lifted that far but the block was close and it fit under the wing when I lifted it for the picture.
914 Ranch
Today I spent a lot of time cleaning the car for pictures for a new post coming probably tomorrow as I get to over 10,000 viewers here. Amazing, that is a hole bunch of people watching what I am doing to this poor car. Speaking of that, I have a very big grip on what I want to do for the cold air intake. Just takes me a while to figure it out. More tomorrow.
914 Ranch
xyz

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I had the cops ask, "Is it a Volkswagen or a Porsche?"
Me, "Depends on which part your looking at."
914 Ranch
I'm about to start the rear wing and the Cold Air Intake on Carerror. I didn't care much about the weight of the front of the car as she still had some push in the her. I put a few extra layers of fiberglass on its nose of the wing to protect her from when cones jump out in front of her. So in order to try to keep within the basic balance of the car I can see the need to make a wing for the rear of the car. This one hopefully will never come in contact with a cone so it can be built lighter. The front wing weighs in at 11 pounds. Now we get to see how light I can make a wing. Fiberglass over foam board on foam forms with an aluminum spar. Going to use the same shape as the front wing which should give me about the same amount of down force on the rear of the car.

Click to view attachment

I ordered a hole box of the foam board because of another project that I want to do. Wings for a vertical wind mill.
euro911
I bought a brand new vertical axis wind turbine from a guy on facebook marketplace for $60. smile.gif

Gonna install it on my camp trailer (when it's parked - camping) shades.gif

Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
Nice Mark, I need to do something about mine.
914 Ranch
Well there it is, 10,004 viewers. That's just really awesome. If I could just work on Carerror all the time I could make a You Tube channel. That would be pretty boring. Anyway I hope to do some more stuff to her that is off the wall. Thanks for all the attention. wub.gif

Click to view attachment

Building the plugs for the Cold Air Intake, these are for the intake scoop.
Some of my wildass dreams do turn into a total failure.
Jetsetsurfshop
Stay after it. Love the progress
914 Ranch
Working on the rear wing when I can find some time. Mock up for the foam framing. this one is to big.

Click to view attachment

When I get this right I'll make templets for the frames.
914 Ranch
So I like planes and the first time I saw a Long EZ I was taken. I have only seen a few of them altogether in my life. After I started to put the wing on Carerror I was rambling through the net and came across a web site where they made foam board airplanes. Flite Test.com. Not only do the sell foam board planes they make kits they also encourage you to copy the kit form their cut outs and put it on Dollar Tree foam board for your family and friends and repairs. They want to get everyone involved in Flite.
I built my first Long EZ and it came to me that I could use the foam board to get the shape of plug for the plenum on The Cold Air Intake.
Sorry about the shameless plug for FT but I found their board as helpful as this one is.
But this post is about that I did 2 more frame mock-ups and got it correct. Which is the in the picture, 20" from the tail back around to the seam because the foam board is 20" wide.

Click to view attachment

They bought a 120 acer golf course in Ohio to use for flight toys (it has a dirt runway for full size airplanes) by selling foam board airplanes.
euro911
I see an EZ fly out of Torrance airport every now & then. A few years ago there were two of them flying around the neighborhood together. The have a distinctive sound, so I always look up when I hear one.

So you'll use the foam-board for the mock-up, then glass over it?

popcorn[1].gif
infraredcalvin
For your cold air intake, there was a guy on here selling an interesting project a while back that tried to use the sails as an area for a scoop, although this math on how many cubic inches of air this provided was severely flawed, it looked like it could be a clean install... I stole these pics from his ad:

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
carr914
this car had some side scoops done nicely

Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
Hey Mark, I grew up at 3311 Newton, 90505, only a block from the Torrance airport. I'm going to use 2 layers of 6 oz and 2 layers of once and half for the finish on the foil.

Thanks Pat, DD had posted some pics of that car and I had 2 thoughts about his approach to it. He cut 3 holes in his roll bar on each side of the car. the other thought was that it was anemic. I'm probably going overboard.

T.C. thats better but I would like to see more pictures of that car. Is it local?

The scoop on the inside of the targa bar is 13.5 squar inches (there is on rear window) and the outside of the targa bar is 22.75 square inches for a total of 36.25 square inches on each side. Which is going to feed the plenum by cutting out the space next to the inside of the targa bar and removing the grill and a little trim work. The plenum is going to come up an inch taller than the top of a rain hat and have no air filters. I'm not caring about the looks as always with me form fallows function…

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

And still be able to open the engine cover. With that and the rear wing I'll never be able to work in the engine bay quickly.
914 Ranch
Working on the pattern for the foam frames today cause I can do that inside. This is the pattern I will use for the foam frames that make up the shape of the wing. I'll make the templets from this pattern and cut the from frames from them. I should be able to cut 3 or 4 at a time.

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
Done with the pattern and now layed out the templet.

Click to view attachment

The templet gets 2 holes for the .75" square aluminum spars and 2 more cause I'm bullshitting myself thinking that the cutouts will weigh more than the glue I spill during assembly. But they will look bitchen although no one will ever see them.
914 Ranch
I have been stuck doing maintenance on the DD and no wub.gif for Carerror. With all of that, now I have to prep for Dorian. 4 hurricanes have passed by here sense I bought here and haven't gotten more than 41 mph of wind. But this one may bring it so I have to do a little more prep. I'm about 35 miles inland from Daytona and one of the paths they tell us it may take lands in Daytona and that could bring us some real wind. An F5 Tornado passed through my back yard in '07 and wiped out all of the houses here except this one. Took the garage (10' from the house), pump house and a shed here. Very little damage to the house but all the rest of the neighborhood is just over 10 years old. I really don't want to see 100 mph's of wind on the ground. I am a Sailor and have sailed in 50 on purpose on a catamaran. I love the wind and I have a skateboard with 30 squar feet of sail ( it's been out in 35 with gusts to 50). Just not at my house.
Maybe I'll be able to return to my fun next week.
stownsen914
Good luck with the storm. Looking forward to more updates on Carerror!
914 Ranch
Thanks Scott, Dorian was a bore here. Less than 4" of water and only 15 miles of wind.
Cutting parts for the wing and trying to work out some details on the intake. Pictures tonight.
sixnotfour
beerchug.gif
rhodyguy
Needs more wing. WAY more.
914 Ranch
If they work it would be really sticky...
914 Ranch
It has ben really hard to fine time for Carerror lately. I have ben cutting some more parts for the rear wing and the targa bar fairing. I have to go out to Ca. soon to make the house ready to be put up for sale. Finally, soon that will all be over and I can get on with my RETIERMENT (playing with cars). I have all of the formers for the wings including the ones for the vertical windmill. It will have the some wing section as the rear wing of the car but Carerrors will be a little longer.

Click to view attachment
Cutting parts at my work station.

Click to view attachment
Targa bar fairing parts, only about 1/4th of them.

Click to view attachment
Wing former parts. I still need to cut in them for the holes for the spars to go through.

Click to view attachment
In my hopes and dreams the targa bar fairing will create a high pressure area above the engine grill.
914 Ranch
Going forward, the layout of a foil, not for Carerror.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

These foils are for a vertical wind mill. Just pratice for Carerror. They are the same foil as Carerrors just not quite as long. Hers will be 53" long and these are the some width as the foam board. I need about 8 of these.
euro911
What does the rest of the wind turbine look like? Is there framework that keeps the vertical axle from wobbling?

popcorn[1].gif
914 Ranch
Er uh, sure Mark, thats it. But as usual I'm winging it so I'll have to make the turbin first and then figure out how to mount it and the electrics. I get to practice for the wing on Carerror and by the time I get hers done the rest will be a breaze. Today I glued the formers to the spars and curved the foam board trying to check out the gluing of foam. Might rap a wing today if I like the way it's coming out.
914 Ranch
So I rapped the wing and it looks OK but there's room for improvement. It is useable for the windmill and I learned a lot.

Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
I am really sorry about the time it takes me to get back to my second favorite pastime. Today I was out in the garage playing with Carerror and did some stuff for the rear wing. I made some templets from foam board for the mounting of the rear wing. Did it twice of course. I put the first one about 2" above the top of the targa bar. The second one I raised another inch. Foam board is really bitchen. It showes you quickly how stupid you are and only takes a few seconds to make a new piece.
The center of effort of the foil is directly over the rear axles. It sits in nice clean air and is not so tall it looks obnoxious.
Excues me.

CARERROR IS BADDASSS….

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
You can see the shape of the targa bar fairing here.

Click to view attachment
I have the foil set at 10 degrees here.
stownsen914
Great work, and loving the updates!

Consider putting the wing farther back. I get the logic about putting it over the axles, but especially with a front wing, the car may do better balance-wise with the wing out back.

Scott
914 Ranch
Thanks Scott, when I started the work on Carerror I put her on a diet. I cut away everything I could to make the ends of the car as light as possible. So behind the shock tower there isn't much metal. But you made me think about a trailer hitch. The rear of the car is planted with equal scuff marks and the blue hazing inside and out with 15 psi. So anything I do to it may not be good.

Click to view attachment
need a better pic.

There isn't much metal behind the shock towers. The rain gutter needs to be braced to the inner fender well. I need to do something about a brace to the small area that was covered by the small grill piece.
Thats where the 2 projects merge. The cold air intake is going through the small grill area and the upper part of the area that gose to the window area gets cut out. The brace that supports the engine cover and the small grill piece is in the way and not beefy enough so it has to go and will be done when I do the cut outs for the cold air intake.
stownsen914
Gotcha, makes sense re: the lack of solid structure in the back. My car is similar in that respect. One option would be to angle the wing struts back and 45 degrees or even steeper, to place the wing farther rearward.
euro911
Joe, have you reached out to Ethan Kuhl and/or David Felzer @dfelz for some input?... a couple of top notch Cal Poly mechanical engineering grads shades.gif
914 Ranch
I finished the foam formers today. I have about 50 of them ready for the spars.

Click to view attachment

The little square cut outs took more time to cut than the shape of the former.

Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
Built 9 foils for the wind mill now I think I am ready to cover the rear wing.
The spar with formers attached.

Click to view attachment

Need to make up the piece of foam bord as the sheets are 30" x 20". With my lay out there is a former 30" from each end.
914 Ranch
The rear wing. Mock up uprights and the wing is unfinished but there she is.

Click to view attachment

Not a very good pic and still lots of stuff to do it.
914 Ranch
Going to add more pictures cause I know thats what your here for.
I don't usealy talk about what I'm doing because it always takes me way to much time to complete anything that I do. Just something I been thinking about, a vertical wind mill.
The Blades.

Click to view attachment

The Wing

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I'm about to change over to metal work. Making patterns in foam board was really quick and easy. 10 times as fast as plywood. Foam board would not have held up the front wing.
914 Ranch
I sent to Summit for a part and recived the part shipped in a box. I sure got my $10 worth of shipping.

Click to view attachment

I cut out the holes for the Cold Air Intake on the drivers side.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Not sure how I am going to handle the back of it yet.
914 Ranch
I got the correct fittings for the fuel tank and installed them on Carerror. That finishes the fuel tank installation. Not sure about the engine bay end of her yet but after I check that stuff out I can move her outside and put the bug in her space and put her in back in the shop. When she is outside I'll get some pics.

Click to view attachment

If you look closely you can see the new parts on the fuel line coming out of the bottom of the tank.
I did some sanding on the fairing for the targa bar but the pics were not very good. Maybe some more tomorrow.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.