Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nine Fourteen Sex
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
Cracker
smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
PlaysWithCars
Nice job! The engine compartment is looking very tidy.

Bet it's a blast on the road and gets lots of funny looks. You should wear a leather helmet and old school aviator goggles. lol-2.gif
campbellcj
Congrats! There's nothing quite like that first shakedown drive after completing a ton of work!
stownsen914
Can we get a shot of the car outside the garage? smile.gif
914 Ranch
Before shot, she lost some weight. Was 1632# in this picture. Now at 1610#, changed the seat, tires and gas tank. Added lots of wire and headlights.

Click to view attachment

Will post new pictures after the DMV.
914 Ranch
Not letting me post pics.

Click to view attachment

Got this one through
914 Ranch
And

Click to view attachment

Really giving me a hard time posting pics.
914 Ranch
Adjusting the head lights today, sun is about to go down.
914 Ranch
Haven't had much time for Carerror lately but I did get her some new shoes. B F Goodrich 225 50 Pro Comp 2 AS all around. Only ten miles on them so I no idea what they are like.

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
Been working on everything but Carerror. Got the ceiling done and had some left over foam so I figured I could play with the car with it. We'll see how it goes. The last time I didn't have any idea what I was going to do to the car I wound up with a cowling and 2 windscreens. Nice... She does not have roll over showing scuff marks on the inside edges of the front tires. the front tires are down to 14.5 psi and I am thinking that less camber and air might do the trick but another 15 pounds of weight might help. Look, I am not thinking of down force just breaking up the air flow and adding about 15 pounds of wing out in front of the nose of the car. Any down force would be a bonus. I just want to see the inside edges of the front tires turning blue like the rears.

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
Kind of taking shape, what I had in mind but I got a long way to go.

Click to view attachment

Click on the pic, sorry.
914 Ranch
Another pic, probably just as bad.

Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
I wanted to have the foil in the shape of the nose of the car so I bent a piece of 1" square aluminum, getting the lines from the hood. So far I like it. Got a piece of 1/4" plate for the goosenecks to hang the foil on and a location in the headlight bucktes to bolt them to. If I like this anymore I'll have to build another foil for the rear. I'm thinking aluminum. Not much body back there, have to put it over the wheel wells.

914 Ranch
Got the foil rough sanded today. Working on getting the PC to talk to my camera so I can post pictures right side up.

Click to view attachment

Wing looks good, wish my picture taking abilities where better than than my computer skills.
Jetsetsurfshop
I can't figure out where your going with this foil but I'm looking forward to seeing it done... biggrin.gif
914 Ranch
Thanks Shane, had to look up Marco Island.
Going to hang it out in front of her nose from goose necks mounted in the headlight buckets.
914 Ranch
Looking at how the foil sits on the goosenecks.

Click to view attachment

I don't know any more about what I'm doing than I do about posting these sideways ass pictures.
914 Ranch
I think I like this one better.

Click to view attachment

Out 1.5" and down 1". More in front of the nose.
914 Ranch
More sideways pics. Mocking up the foil. I still like it.

Click to view attachment

stownsen914
Good idea to put it out front in clean air. If you want to be more daring, you could mount it lower to the ground to get some additional downforce boost from ground effect aerodynamics!

In short, if you put the wing close to the ground (like an F1 front wing), you can up to double the downforce. I pulled out my racecar aero book by Joseph Katz to remind myself of the details, but the wing has to be 1-2 inches off the ground to take advantage of this, so it's not trivial to do well.

I'm pasting below an article I found that shows some data on boosting a wing's downforce using the ground effect. Figure 5a shows the downforce vs. height info.

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/6437/5e8d4...cca2f3de407.pdf
sixnotfour
smile.gif
sixnotfour
QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Dec 16 2018, 09:38 AM) *

Good idea to put it out front in clean air. If you want to be more daring, you could mount it lower to the ground to get some additional downforce boost from ground effect aerodynamics!

In short, if you put the wing close to the ground (like an F1 front wing), you can up to double the downforce. I pulled out my racecar aero book by Joseph Katz to remind myself of the details, but the wing has to be 1-2 inches off the ground to take advantage of this, so it's not trivial to do well.

I'm pasting below an article I found that shows some data on boosting a wing's downforce using the ground effect. Figure 5a shows the downforce vs. height info.

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/6437/5e8d4...cca2f3de407.pdf

great info.. low in front on z 914 there is a brick behind it though ..unless its out front far enough??
stownsen914
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 17 2018, 06:14 AM) *

great info.. low in front on z 914 there is a brick behind it though ..unless its out front far enough??

Good point. Low in front of a 914 would be tricky for multiple reasons - clearance issues, and also challenges about getting the air out the backside of a low-mounted wing. May not make sense.
914 Ranch
To close to the body will cause flow problems with the foil. If I knew what I was doing I probably never would have started this. If it dose not give down force it still adding weight to the front wheels and that should help with the tire readings. It's been a fun project so I'll just see where I go with it.
914 Ranch
Maybe I should have done a swan's neck like when it's feeding off the bottom of a shallow lake. I once saw a big cardboard splitter on the front of a 914 that got me thinking. Now I'm thinking too much. The bracket for the swan's neck would have to be thick enough to pick up the front of the car. Has anyone ever seen a foil and splitter? I'm a fucken fuel fool fucken with front foils.
stownsen914
The side mounts like you're mocking up are probably your best bet. Make them a little bigger - a taller end plate will keep the air from spilling over the sides.

Cool project!
914 Ranch
OK I got this, wait hold my beer... 2" off the ground, that's tough but I accept the challenge. The weight will be a little more but I was doing this for the weight from the start.
So I need to lower the front of the car, which I wanted to do that anyway. I'll be pulling the front suspension apart to move the spindles up 30 mm and weld it in place. Should not change anything but the tow.
914 Ranch
For a bump, my other car is not a real Porsche.

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
My other other car is not a real Bug.

Click to view attachment

Lately I have been working on the front end of Carerror for the mounting of the front spoiler but no pics yet. Life has also been getting in the way.
914 Ranch
This is coming along nicely. Can't wait to get to the bracketing. Got to drop the front end first.

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
Still sanding and have about 6 or 8 layer's of fiberglass to go. I might even be able to put some paint on it.

Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
Yesterday I blocked the front foil up on the floor just to check it out. I put it about 2" off the floor tilted at about 10° and the leading edge is parallel to the ground. I stole the line for the beam from the front hood. I measured 10.5" up from the front edge which is just above the headlight well and drew the line.
Kind of tough making a compound curved square tube round would have been much more challenging. The foil has a little twist in it (about1°) but it is from not looking close enough before gluing all the foam pieces together. You'll never be able to see it when it's done.

Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
Taking the front suspension apart today, going to move the spindles up 30mm.
sawzall-smiley.gif
You can't do that on my front suspension. The housing on my suspension has shoulder above the spindle casting. There is a 2mm difference between the bottom and the top of the strut housing.
Regroup, put the car back together and build the brackets and fix the suspension later.
914 Ranch
Reglass the end caps now that they are straight. I have more epoxy and some 1.5 cloth on order and that should finish the wing.

Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
The wheels arrived so now I am installing them. I have 4 so 2 per side. Going to mount them to the end caps at the leading edge, the cap is 1/4 so I can tap it. One of them will be inside the foil.

Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
Not much but I did make the cut out for the right side wheels.

Click to view attachment

Right now I'm looking for a way to make a bump in the fiberglass.
Jetsetsurfshop
Looking forward to seeing this finished.
914 Ranch
Thanks Shane, I can't wait either. Working on it all the time. More fiberglass work inside the wheel cut out.
914 Ranch
Got the wheels mounted. A few more layer's of fiberglass and I will have to build the Swansneck

Click to view attachment
Coming out much better than I expected.
stownsen914
Are the wheels to protect the wing from hitting the ground?
914 Ranch
Yes, I plan on mounting the wings nose 3" off the ground. This is supposed to be an A/X only car but I have seen front wheels off the ground at PCA events. Sometime or another it is going to rub on the ground. I still plan on lowering the car an inch in the feature.
Today I made up these templates for the brackets to hang the Swansnecks on.

Click to view attachment

Like I said before, "If I knew what I was doing I probably would never have started this project."
914 Ranch
Apparently I like to do things twice.
914 Ranch
I've come to a dilemma about the wings. The targa bar is the problem. If I put a wing in the back of the car it has to be high enough to get clean air behind the targa. And then there is trying to make it disappear. Like rigging on a sail boat, put a foil on it.
How about make it a foil. There must be a reason nobody has made a foil out of a targa bar.
That's pretty wild, let's see where the Falcon I go with that.

Click to view attachment
stownsen914
For the wheels on the front wing, just make sure that they never really touch the ground, at least during normal usage/runs. Agreed that a wheel touching is better than the wing hitting, but when the wheels hit the ground it will put massive forces on your mounts and where they attach.

Re: the targa bar, what about just putting a fairing/teardrop shape covering over it instead of making it a wing? I'm woindering if a mid-mounted wing would direct airflow upward and diminish the effectiveness of the rear wing.
914 Ranch
I was thinking that it needs to have a pivot and something to push It back down when bumped up.
Cracker
Hey Joe. If I am understanding correctly you are thinking of placing a wing in the center of the car...is that accurate? If so, I believe there would be no real benefit - it might even slow you down. Below is the sister car of my SCCA P1 - it is only used for hillclimbs and has been fitted with the front and rear wings. You're going to do what you want - as it should be too - but this system (as you know) is tried and proven. Keep up the great work!

T

Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
Thanks Tony, nice car. I like your 914 too. Unlike mine your's is very clean. I think I have decided on a color that your going to love. A '56 Ford color Spartacus firemist blue, had a Ghia I put a 356 motor in and painted that color when on emergency leave from Vietnam. It was nice to come home to a finished car, VW hot rod.
Cracker
Cool Joe...I do like blue!

T
914 Ranch
Working on the brackets today. Some progress.

Click to view attachment

Finally got my camera talking to my computer.
914 Ranch
More of the Swansneck, got the rough patterns done. kind of like it but it might not be massive enough.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

i have to put a pivot in with a stop and a gas shock to push it back down when it gets bumped and I'll just figure it out as I go.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.