Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gauge info you may find helpful
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tygaboy
Others may already know about all this but I didn't so figured I'd post to help spread the word: Speedhut will customize their gauges way more than their site implies and more than I thought they would.

Details below:

I've been noodling on what gauges to order for my LS build and really wanted the following in the overall set:
- Tach
- Speedo
AND I want one more gauge than a traditional Quad has:
- Volts
- Fuel level
- Water temp
- Oil pressure
- Oil temp

AND I decided I wanted to keep everything in the stock dash pod set up - vs. gauges in the lower dash or in the console I plan to build.

Adding Oil temp meant I'd had to look at custom stuff. I understand it's possible to take an early Turbo tach and convert the boost gauge to something else but the cheapest core I found was around $700! wacko.gif
Cool, but I'll pass.

I was considering the Classic Instruments "Auto-Cross" series but by the time I add in all the senders, etc, it was one of the most $$ options.

So, back to the Speedhut site. I noticed they make a speedo with a fuel gauge!
Golly, in looking at their Quad gauge, if they'd "just" swap the fuel gauge for oil temp, I'd be all set!

I called them and it turns out for a whopping $25, they do the swap! Yea! smilie_pokal.gif

So I ordered the set. I'll post pics once it all comes in but here's what it'll be, except the Quad will have oil temp where the fuel gauge is.

Again, maybe I'm the only one who didn't know they'd do this but if not, now you know!
timothy_nd28
Looks good! Can't wait to see it in your car.
HIPPIEKILLER
That's very interesting!

I need as well to take a look at the extra gauges PO had installed: oil temp and pressure plus cylinder temp. Only the cylinder temp seems to work properly.

I want to keep as much as possible the stock look, so I may go for the three hauges in one: tank, oil temp and press.

If too much €€, I'll go for the VDO that looks pretty similar but smaller.

Thanks for sharing!
mb911
It almost looks like it would be just fine for my six conversion.. They look very german..

Hard to believe a 930 tach I had a few years back only sold for about 100 dollars.
tygaboy
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 28 2017, 05:34 PM) *

It almost looks like it would be just fine for my six conversion.. They look very german..

Hard to believe a 930 tach I had a few years back only sold for about 100 dollars.

Just a heads up that the Speedhut gauges are 4 1/2" tach and the others are 4". They are a bit under size, compared to the factory gauges so they aren't a straight fit.
I plan to make a new panel to account for the size difference.
HIPPIEKILLER
By the way, how do you select the senders/sensors? They have to match the gauge...

Is there a conversion table or similar?
914forme
Chris I have a Turbo tach I'll trade you for other parts.

I called SpeedHut and asked if they would swap in a turbo boost gauge for the fuel gauge and they said no!

But if the 930 Tach is worth $700+, then maybe I need to sell it, and use it for something else.
A&P Mech
I really like my guages. They have worked flawlessly. Click to view attachment
infraredcalvin
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this yet....

I've also seen this PLX gauge fit into a clock housing...
Click to view attachment
tygaboy
QUOTE(HIPPIEKILLER @ Aug 28 2017, 06:48 PM) *

By the way, how do you select the senders/sensors? They have to match the gauge...

Is there a conversion table or similar?

Take a look at their site. The gauges ship with sensors and wiring harnesses. Customization cost a tiny bit more.
I paid $25 to swap the fuel for oil temp, and had to by the oil temp sensor and wiring harness and an adapter (total of $45) then $10 each gauge to remove the "Speedhut..." branding/logo.

I felt that was more than fair.
Costa05
Love my Speedhut gauges as well. Word of advice though. My back lighting dimmer/inverter blew in the first month. Speedhut sent a new one at no cost. Problem was replacing it after tidying up the harness nicely behind the gauges. Plan ahead for simple replacement.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.