Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 Tins
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Coondog
A few of you know that my 3.2 conversion being done by PMS has been delayed due to the fact that the one place that made these "GPR" is either out of business or just doesn't answer there phone anymore.

I talked with the usual 914 parts houses with no luck, seems everyone to include our friend Eric Shay is even on his last set. I called Rick Johnson and he is out of stock also.
Seems everyone got them from GPR.

Does anyone out there have a complete set either OE or GPR on there garage shelve that they want to sell ??

Or did I miss a vendor who has them.
mb911
QUOTE(Coondog @ Aug 30 2017, 12:44 PM) *

A few of you know that my 3.2 conversion being done by PMS has been delayed due to the fact that the one place that made these "GPR" is either out of business or just doesn't answer there phone anymore.

I talked with the usual 914 parts houses with no luck, seems everyone to include our friend Eric Shay is even on his last set. I called Rick Johnson and he is out of stock also.
Seems everyone got them from GPR.

Does anyone out there have a complete set either OE or GPR on there garage shelve that they want to sell ??

Or did I miss a vendor who has them.

I can make a set like the gpr set or you can call restoration design as they are making sets.

Oh and Henry @supertec has a few complete sets oem.
Coondog
Just talked with Henry and he is out.

Thanks
raynekat
Restoration Design is currently making these.
They near factory quality.
db9146
I have a new set of sheet metal in fiberglass if interested. These are molded from factory tin so once painted they look oem.
rgalla9146
How much is an OEM set worth these days ?
mepstein
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Aug 30 2017, 08:59 PM) *

How much is an OEM set worth these days ?

Good question. Last year I tried to sell a set at aftermarket prices and got no takers.
ConeDodger
I got mine from Getty Design...
ConeDodger
I got mine from Getty Design...
Larmo63
I must have gotten lucky, I paid $300 for an aftermarket set.

Let's get Greg on the road!!!!!!
mepstein
Coondog - I would sell you my oem set for whatever Restoration Design is selling their repro set for. Mine has some minor corrosion and has been powdercoated satin black. Mark
IronHillRestorations
I can't find them on the RD site
raynekat
Not sure they are on there yet.
I've already purchased and have in hand the large piece that goes towards the front of the motor where the fan is.
It was $200.
Looks super and just like the factory piece.

I think they are working on the other pieces right now.
You'll have to contact them directly I think to see what's available and what's not.
Dion
Coondog, did ya try A Serrano at all?
I bought an oem set from him last year.
Maybe he has another set lying about.
Good luck.
IronHillRestorations
I have a set of repro and a set of originals.

I need to see what's available in replacements before I'd let anything go.

I was going to make these for Dave Shepard 20 years ago, but he was getting a deal so I didn't go any further with it.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Aug 30 2017, 10:52 PM) *

I can't find them on the RD site

Likely the dies are made but they haven't been hand polished yet.
Last year at the RD open house they had new dies for at least 20-30 new parts that all needed the final hand polishing before they could be put into production.
A large die, a 2.5 ton chunk of steel, can have as much 180 hours of hand polishing, boring work that they hire summer students to do.
Pete can machine a new die faster than they can polish them.
Coondog
Thanks everyone, pms sent. I will call RD first thing in the morning. I would be surprised if PMS didn't already make that call.
mb911
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Aug 30 2017, 07:13 PM) *

I have a set of repro and a set of originals.

I need to see what's available in replacements before I'd let anything go.

I was going to make these for Dave Shepard 20 years ago, but he was getting a deal so I didn't go any further with it.

Funny Dave and I also had discussions about making them as well..

I had plans on making sets and even show the completed set on my build thread but then learned RD was making them and not sure I can be competitive.. Or if I want to..
Coondog
Perry stepped up and shipped me a complete set.
RD is 30 days out from going into full production.

Thank you to all who responded to help me out.

Greg
Coondog

Got a call from Rich at High Performance House today who was returning my 60 day ago email request for 914-6 tins. He stated he has a couple NOS sets for 3,900.00 per set.

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif That was me after I fell off my barstool

I thanked him for getting back to me in a timely manner but declined his offer.
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(Coondog @ Oct 14 2017, 05:44 PM) *

Got a call from Rich at High Performance House today who was returning my 60 day ago email request for 914-6 tins. He stated he has a couple NOS sets for 3,900.00 per set.

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif That was me after I fell off my barstool

I'll take only $2500 for mine! With Pete making some nice repros the value of the OEM's are probably going to tank. Wait, make that $2000 for mine biggrin.gif
mb911
I think the RD setup will be 900.. Thats still allot of coin for sheet metal.. The ones that were on the market were probably very inexpensive to make.. Less then 20 dollars in laser cuts.. Probably 3 hours labor to make them so good margins and worked for many many years. The RD setup is going to be awesome and fill a void.. That said I think the need for the alternative cheaper version Will still be there.. The oem stuff will probably tank..
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 14 2017, 10:39 PM) *

I think the RD setup will be 900.. Thats still allot of coin for sheet metal.. The ones that were on the market were probably very inexpensive to make.. Less then 20 dollars in laser cuts.. Probably 3 hours labor to make them so good margins and worked for many many years. The RD setup is going to be awesome and fill a void.. That said I think the need for the alternative cheaper version Will still be there.. The oem stuff will probably tank..

agree.gif with all of the above. The only difference between oem and RD reproduction will be bragging rights. And we will still need cheaper tin for some installs. For instance, a 3.6 install needs the tin highly modified so there’s no reason to start with a $900 set.
Mark Henry
I've held the RD pieces in my hands, very high quality and I'd recommend them, especially if you have/want heat exchangers.
Everything is correct, holes, weld nuts, plus over stock is I believe thicker metal and galvalume.
mb911
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 15 2017, 05:27 AM) *

I've held the RD pieces in my hands, very high quality and I'd recommend them, especially if you have/want heat exchangers.
Everything is correct, holes, weld nuts, plus over stock is I believe thicker metal and galvalume.

agree.gif

Hands down the best engine sheet metal ever on the market..
raynekat
QUOTE(Coondog @ Oct 14 2017, 06:44 PM) *

That really is quite an amazing price for these....considering one of the tin's is pretty rusted and just been painted over.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.