Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear trunk floor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914MF
100th post boldblue.gif . I am going to replace the part of the trunk floor near the tailights. Are the spot welds accessible from the top ar the bottom? I searched and I found Sir Andy's post but he did not say where to access the spot welds. Thanks.
jet1
From the top. You have to clean all the seam sealer up first then you will see the spot welds. Good luck!
914werke
From the top ...but there ar A LOT OF EM! unsure.gif
dralf
welder.gif
Sorry, I can not help, but I am in the same boat.....
Where did you find the how to post ? and where did you find the sheet metal for that replacement job ?

I was thinking about just getting out my bottle of Gin, my cutting wheel and going at it cutting out all the rust and then welding in some plain old sheet metal, but perhaps I should do it correctly, so drop me a PM if you find some leads...As for me, I too am getting near the 100 posts mark.
914MF
Did the search thing for rear trunk repair. I purchased the part from restoration design.
McMark
That's a good piece. I used one recently. I cut off what I needed. A few pictures are here.
914werke
Mark did you lap or Butt weld that piece to the cross brace?
dinomium
slight hijax

Are you planning/didja put the heat shield back on the undersite?
Verruckt
QUOTE (914MF @ May 19 2005, 11:59 AM)
Did the search thing for rear trunk repair. I purchased the part from restoration design.

I don't know if you have one or not, but they are VERY handy. Get a spotweld drill from Eastwood. I think it cost me 20some bucks including an extra cutter. Was a super good investment. wink.gif
SirAndy
the replacement piece i got from a donor car. the piece was removed by drilling out the spotwelds so i could reuse the holes for welding it into my car.

then i cut out the old piece:
user posted image

user posted image

i cut along the seam, leaving a lip for the new piece to be welded to. after cutting it out, i ground down the lip along the seam (because it still had 2 layers of metal)

the replacement piece. you can see the holes from the drilled out spotwelds in the front.
in the picture, it still has the side-fender parts and the top parts of the cross beam, which i did cut off before it put it in:
user posted image

if you follow the seam and cut it out along it, the new piece will simply slide into place from behind, not major fitting required!

here is a shot of the new piece in place, you can see where i reused the old holes for the new welds:
user posted image

from the back:
user posted image

one more closeup:
user posted image

and lastly, a shot with fresh paint on it:
user posted image

beerchug.gif Andy
SirAndy
actually, i lied ...

one more pic, even glued the rear bumper back on and molded it in, can't tell it was ever cut!

sawzall-smiley.gif Andy

user posted image
Lou W
rdauenhauer   Posted on May 19 2005, 11:20 AM Mark did you lap or Butt weld that piece to the cross brace?

I know this was directed to Mark, but I just did my trunk panel too, I trimmed all but a half inch off around the center brace edge, ground the lip flush on the rear panel, and then lap welded.
Lou W
Another
Lou W
dinomium   Posted on May 19 2005, 03:46 PM slight hijax

Are you planning/didja put the heat shield back on the undersite?

I welded my heat shield on the new panel before I welded the new panel in place.
Lou W
Andy, Yours looks great, that looks like it would have been alot of work. smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.